RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2020, 01:36 PM   #1

No power supply going to transmission shift control

2005 Monaco knight. 330 Cummins engine. 6-speed Allison transmission. Staying at NC and went to fill with diesel and run errands and while driving, transmission would disengage and “check transmission” light would come on and then go out and I could continue on my way. Upon returning to The RV park and back into our slot, transmission lost all electrical power to the console and the “check transmission” light cane on again. I shut the RV engine off and engine would not restart. I could bypass the starter solenoid to start the engine back up, but the transmission still has not power going to shift control on console. Need help quickly. I’m sure not starting from the key and transmission are tied together.
LoriAnn Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2020, 01:44 PM   #2

Get into your battery bay.
See to see if you have 2 or 4 wires , maybe 12 guage ? Running off your positive post with 10 amp fussis within 2 feet of batteries??
Check fuses and the first crimped fitting beyond the fuses.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:09 PM   #3

My guess is the transmission is not getting a signal from the tcm which needs to be assured that the transmission is in neutral to start. We had it happen to my friends rv. We went under the transmission and had someone wiggle wires in the area of the tranny, while the other watched the control pad for any change. It turned out that another cable had been rubbing on the transmission lines, and had worn a bare spot in three of the wires. By wiggling the wires, we were able to get a display back on the key pad. The wires were on top of the transmission. I think there was about 13 of them in the harness.We ended up unplugging the transmission electrical harness to get the wire down under where we could work on them. Two were just bared, so we liquid bandaided the wires, (my friends idea), then taped them up. The other one was almost completely through, and was too close to the harness plug to repair. We took the wire from both sides of the harness plug, and cut them off. We reconnected the wires together with a heat shrink connector. Many thousands of miles later, it is still good. We were in a similar situation as you. We stopped for lunch at a roadside park, and were dead in the water. The rv would start if we jumped the starter, but the shifter still wouldn't go into gear. We also noticed the jacks and slides wouldn't operate either. This is also because the transmission has to tell the functions it is in neutral in order for them to operate. For what its worth, we kept getting cat eyes on the shift pad. This was on a 2007, 300 cummins with the 3000 tranny. There is a wire that comes from your battery to the tcm. As others have stated, check the fuse as well. It wasn't our problem, but we did check it. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:29 PM   #4

If the trouble is not at the batteries you can also check the wires where they plug into
the shifter panel .
Those wires have been known to pull loose .
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:37 AM   #5

Winniman:

I did exactly what you suggested yesterday, around two in the afternoon Before anyone had a chance to respond to our cries for help.. And guess what, it worked. After many years of doing these kind of things in my former background, I know about doing that, shaking of the wires. Now then all I have to do is find out Where the short in the harness is. But I will have time to take care of that within the next few days. We are safely back in our site, and everything seems to be working for the moment.
LoriAnn Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriAnn Moen View Post
Winniman:

I did exactly what you suggested yesterday, around two in the afternoon Before anyone had a chance to respond to our cries for help.. And guess what, it worked. After many years of doing these kind of things in my former background, I know about doing that, shaking of the wires. Now then all I have to do is find out Where the short in the harness is. But I will have time to take care of that within the next few days. We are safely back in our site, and everything seems to be working for the moment.
Im glad it worked for you. As stated, ours was caused by other wires in protective housing sitting on the wires. The friction had caused them to wear through the tranny wires. If you can open a panel in the floor, you might be able to see the wires on top of the transmission. Ours was a harness with about 13 wires in it. We unplugged the harness, and dropped it down below to gain better access to fix them. Nice to hear our experience has helped someone else in a bind. That is what the forums are all about. Rvers helping rvers. Cheers.

Tags
no power, power, transmission