Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2019, 11:42 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
No power to Colorado Carefree Eclipse patio awning

Last time I retracted the awning, it worked fine. Now I have no power/movement in the awning either with the inside overhead switch or the outside switch. I've checked the driver's side fwd fuse panel and inside 12V panel with no success. I'm wondering if there is a relay somewhere that may be bad or a fuse that I'm missing in a remote location. Any ideas?

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2019, 11:53 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My awning moves with 12vdc from the Chassis batteries. They must be fully charged to get the main awning to retract. Seems I can start the CAT with less juice than the awning takes. Maybe start your genset and see if the awning retracts?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:57 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is a fuse inside the control box. Might open it up and take a look... 15 amp if yours is like mine of similar vintage. You can also check the power going into the box.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:28 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ok, checked awning with genset running and the EMS shows batts are good, no help. The awning is retracted with no power.

emiddleb, are you talking the main 12V fuse box on the fwd lower driver's side? The only thing I found there was two awning cut out relays and both tested good with a V/A meter. Also took the panel down for the Carefree awning control panel, but the power on/off switch is mounded to a mother board and I was afraid of how the switches are mounted to that board...didn't look like a 'plug in' connection. I'm officially in over my head with this thing...any other suggestions, anyone?

BTW, I tried to check for power at the outside extend/retract switch and at the over head inside power switch but both are sealed up against moisture and I needed a third arm/hand.

Old 10-04-2019, 02:31 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
My patio awning runs off 120VAC. I need to have the Inverter on or be plugged in to shore power to operate it.

There is also a GFI breaker for power to that circuit (that likes to trip whee I plug-in or pull-out the Shore Power cord.

I just mention in case your awning is the same.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:41 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks CountryB, I'll look for a GF, but so far I've not run into one. I'm burned out crawling around the coach...next CG is a two day stay, so I'll continue the search there. Still looking for any ideas though. Thanks.

Old 10-04-2019, 02:51 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Take a look at this diagnostic guide. Not sure if applies to Eclipse or not, but does show the box and the fuse (fig 3.4).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf REVISED A&E Weatherpro Awning Diagnostic Guide.pdf (332.8 KB, 57 views)
Old 10-04-2019, 02:54 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
With my Carefree Awning, there is a control box that is mounted in the front passenger bay. This box is what actually controls the main and door awning on my unit. Inside the box is a fuse. Not sure if its the same with the Eclipse model but should be close.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:13 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Go to top of awning and look for the two overgrown rivets protruding. Put your volt meter on those two and have someone try the switch, both out and in.
This will determine if power is going outside or not, and give you an idea to look inside or at the motor.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:10 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
My patio awning runs off 120VAC. I need to have the Inverter on or be plugged in to shore power to operate it.

There is also a GFI breaker for power to that circuit (that likes to trip whee I plug-in or pull-out the Shore Power cord.

I just mention in case your awning is the same.
Oops - it just occurred to me, my patio awning is a Girard. So my comments about it operating on 120VAC probably doesn't apply to your Carefree awning.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:14 PM   #11
rgl

Monaco Owners Club
Ours Has an electrical connector that screws in near the front end of the awning. Something is loose inside. If I wiggle the wires in the cabinet above the door, while the navigator operates the switch, it will start working. Just started happen so still troubleshooting.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:09 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
After a 2&1/2 month tour, we are home and I'm on a 2 day rest period. Will attack the problem next week and let ya'll know what I find. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 10-20-2019, 03:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
After a 2&1/2 month tour, we are home and I'm on a 2 day rest period. Will attack the problem next week and let ya'll know what I find. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Those two big rivets on outside of motor cover are also so you can "jump start" it back in and not be stranded with awning out. My MH PO had a cord for that reason with spare one-touch awning parts box. There are two small and large alligator clips to go from lugs to batteries. Reverse wires change direction. Bypasses feed wires/ through wall plug ,amp sensing board ,electronic relays and switches. Just don't roll the wrong way or get your fingers in any where.
I should probably add an inline fuse.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:45 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
I was reading about your awning problem because mine is doing the exact same thing. Did you ever decide what was causing your problem?

Tags
awning, colorado, no power, power