RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2020, 10:11 PM   #1

No power to ECM

I just replaced my chassis batteries on my 2001 Monaco Knight and now the wait to start light doesn’t come on and no fuel is getting sent to motor. Monaco hasn’t been much help so I had Cummins send a mobile tech out to look at it. $700 later he tells me that there is no power to ECM and that since he didn’t have a wiring diagram that it would be an additional $160 per hour to follow wires to finish job. Since all I did was switch batteries I dint think it was necessary to follow wires and that it had to be a fuse,relay or I didn’t hook up batteries properly. Does anyone have a picture of how this model should be hooked up or any ideas of things to check?
Hollywood142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2020, 11:25 PM   #2

This is a real shot in the dark but is it possible that when you hooked up the battery cables on the new batteries you might have lost track of and failed to hook up a small gauge wire to the batteries?
The pic below shows two wire bundles connected to the negative terminal of one of my 12 volt chassis batteries on my '05 Monaco Knight.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200420_162959541.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	283013
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:40 PM   #3

Click image for larger version

Name:	BE7E9682-7342-4183-9D87-44D92900A9BD.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	514.7 KB
ID:	283014

This is how I have it connected.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood142 View Post
Attachment 283014

This is how I have it connected.
Did you clean and wire brush all the ring terminal connectors and battery posts when you installed the new(?) batteries?
I would clean all the posts and ring terminals and reassemble them tightly, especially the terminals attached to the 4 white wires and the wire(s) in the black wire loom directly under the white wire's ring terminal on the negative battery post.
That might do it but if not I would have a helper monitor the dash lights while I gave each small gauge wire a wiggle test along the length of each wire looking for an intermittent open in a wire.
If that doesn't work I'm all out of altitude, airspeed and ideas.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
Old 04-25-2020, 10:19 AM   #5

I'm pretty sure FL420 is on the right track .

Did you take a picture before ?
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:59 PM   #6

I have read many times that a wire that a wire disappeared by gravity or wire stress. I looks like many smaller wires have been combined into loops you may want to cut away the heat shrink to look for corrosion. Then get HD heat shrink in proper color to help in future.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:34 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Find the small red/positive wire you didn’t hook back up.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:04 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
On mine the ecm is wired directly to the chassis battery along with things like smoke detectors etc. when I had master tech put batteries in they crushed and severed the ground wire (and blew up my odometer).
You are likely missing a small wire. Take them out and look again
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:18 AM   #9

One other diagnostic check.

Does your transmission shifter pad light up?

There is an interlock between the TCU and the ECU and if there is no signal from the transmission the "wait to start" light and lift pump will not operate.

Power to the TCU is usually by a separate wire with a fuse which often is overlooked when re-installing the batteries.

if your shifter pad is not lit up, check for that wire and the fuse.

Dave
kidz_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:26 AM   #10

Most diesel computers are wired directly to the battery,about 10 gage wire with a fuse holder.Some Cummins have 2.Bet one got lost!
ronster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:45 AM   #11

Thanks FL420 I actually took a grinder to the wires to make sure I had a good connection and have looked many times for a missing wire. When the Tech hooked up to ECM his diagram said it showed 4 positive leads into ECM that weren't showing any power. Monaco has said that the ECM is powered directly to the battery as well but there is no bundle of 4 red wires anywhere to be found

Kids_Driver I do like where you are going with this but my coach has a shift lever not a pad and I don't think it typically lights up anyway. Something I didn't mention before is that I did find a blown 20amp CLTCH fuse in the Monaco #3 panel that I replaced. Not sure if this could be related. I do have the red wire hooked up with 60amp fuse in it and it does have power to fuse. There is also a small Orange wire with a 15amp fuse on the house side but I have deduced that this goes to the generator which does start and run fine.

Ronster and Jeff753 I have heard the same thing from Monaco but I have looked several times and had 2 diesel mechanics look at it as well and no extra red wire laying around.

Thanks for all the great ideas. This is much more assistance then I have gotten from Cummins and Monaco so far. I appreciate everyone taking the time to help out!
Old 04-26-2020, 04:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
Did you take a picture before ?
An excellent question and an important suggestion.
With a modern smartphone and a good camera it's very easy to take and save before and after photos of every system you need to work on. It aids in understanding, troubleshooting, repairing and returning your systems to operable conditions.
I have never taken a selfie but I do have a selfie stick which allows me to put my cellphone camera in places I could never reach or fit into otherwise. I have taken photos of just about every part of every system in, on and under the coach I can access. I concentrate especially on connections, Model Numbers, Part Numbers and Serial Numbers. I then organize the pics into system albums to find what I want easily.
It never fails to rain when I need a model or part number but I no longer have to get wet to find the info I need to find and order a replacement part online. It's on my phone.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:31 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
An excellent question and an important suggestion.
With a modern smartphone and a good camera it's very easy to take and save before and after photos of every system you need to work on. It aids in understanding, troubleshooting, repairing and returning your systems to operable conditions.
I have never taken a selfie but I do have a selfie stick which allows me to put my cellphone camera in places I could never reach or fit into otherwise. I have taken photos of just about every part of every system in, on and under the coach I can access. I concentrate especially on connections, Model Numbers, Part Numbers and Serial Numbers. I then organize the pics into system albums to find what I want easily.
It never fails to rain when I need a model or part number but I no longer have to get wet to find the info I need to find and order a replacement part online. It's on my phone.

Do you have small wires directly wired to the battery? How many positive? How many negative? Hopefully an equal number. My ecm issue was a crushed negative.
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
Do you have small wires directly wired to the battery? How many positive? How many negative? Hopefully an equal number. My ecm issue was a crushed negative.
All the 5 white wires on one ring terminal and the 2 white wires on another ring terminal are connected to one negative terminal of one of the two chassis batteries. The only other small gauge wire attached to the other chassis battery is the ground wire from the TRIK-L-START to the negative terminal. There are no small gauge wires of any color attached to a chassis battery's positive terminal.
Hopefully I understood your question and answered it properly.

Tags
ecm, no power, power