Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2019, 03:30 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
No power to starter

Hey all, I need some starter help. I have a 2006 Monaco Knight 38PDQ with the Cummins 330. Long story so stay tuned. The PO had a prodigy electric brake controller installed and I removed it. A month ago I cut the the old harness and installed a 12v adapter onto the black and white wires for my new remote brake link. I left the blue and red wires taped up and out of the way. It worked fine and the coach started and ran fine.

Yesterday I went to add a 3 spot adapter to the cigarette lighter adapter to add a gps and tpms units. I unplugged the brake link, plugged in the 3 spot adapter and plugged in all three units. The gps and tpms worked but the brake link wouldn’t light up. Didn’t matter which spot I used. So I started to troubleshoot and unhooked the original 12v adapter and rehooked it up and it now wouldn’t work at all. I started to look for other 12v sources to hook into and chose the CB radio circuit. I wired in the 12v adapter and tested it by plugging in the tpms unit and it shorted out and blew the CB fuse. Removed the short, replaced the fuse and the CB works fine.

It was getting dark and cold so I decided to tackle it this morning. Instead of wiring in the adapter again, I chose to use a 110v to 12v converter. Should’ve done this to start with but you know what they say about hindsight. Regardless, I finished installing the extras and they all work well.

Now, I went to start the rig and there is no power to start it. I have full accessories in the run position but no juice to the starter. Not even a click and no noise from the battery boost. Just plain dead. I checked the ignition relay by swapping it with one that I knew worked and no difference.

Is there another fuse I can check? Are there other relays to check? Did I fry a circuit board? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jerry
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2019, 10:05 PM   #2

Were you near the back and bumped the switch to rear start position. When I have that
kind of trouble I jump the starter solenoid and if it starts then I work my way up to the ignition switch. If it doesn't start I know it's starter, solenoid, cables or battery.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:34 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Found the issue

After spending some quality time in the owners manual, the fuse layout showed a 5 amp fuse for the eng ign dash. I located it in the box labeled Monaco 2. I pulled it and sure enough it was fried in two. I didn’t have any 5 amp fuses at home so I stuck a 10 amp fuse in there and viola, it started easily. I’ll be buying a 5 amp for that spot, but at least it was an easy fix.

Thanks,
Jerry

Tags
no power, power, starter