Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2022, 05:03 PM   #1

No start

99 Monica dynasty have a no crank- on start condition , have no power or trigger signal to my neutral safety relay located back by my actual starter solenoid , engine will start if I jumper both the power and switch terminals simultaneously. IGN switch has power in - power out , acc power ect ! Any thoughts ,in-put , insults accepted . Also my trans indicator will not light up
flat track is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2022, 08:17 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The transmission and engine control modules communicate with each other.

Do you have lights on your transmission shifting panel??

Have you been working in the engine area, I have a remote start switch and have accidentally hit it a couple times causing a no start situation.

When you turn the key do you hear the lift pump running? I have 3 different fuse holders in my rear run bay that have ~7 fuses that provide power for ECM and transmission, check all these fuses.

I had this happen to me in 2013, ended up being the transmission ECU, had to a new one installed.

But I checked to make sure to check anything that may have contributed to the problem. I checked to make sure the park brake was on. I check the transmission fuse, in my case it is in my rear passenger side electrical bay. I tried to reset everything by removing all power. Nothing worked.
Finally had to have the rig towed to the Allision shop ~25 miles away (they refused to send a tech out to check, said they were short handed). Ended up diagnosing the ECU, sourced one at another shop ~100 miles away which my wife went and got, had to reprogram it for my rig and got it up and running. Cost was ~$3500. If I had time I could have removed the ECU and sent it a couple places much cheaper but I was headed out of country and my wife had a trip planned.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat track View Post
99 Monica dynasty have a no crank- on start condition , have no power or trigger signal to my neutral safety relay located back by my actual starter solenoid , engine will start if I jumper both the power and switch terminals simultaneously. IGN switch has power in - power out , acc power ect ! Any thoughts ,in-put , insults accepted . Also my trans indicator will not light up

Does your coach have a " Rear Run" switch?

If so perhaps someone accidently bumped it? ......... not uncommon for this to happen and has been reported here at iRV2 many times to be the culprit.

Years back I almost had my coach towed in for service after it was recently service by a RV repair facility and "Skippy" the car jockey for some reason had to jump it to start it ( the batteries are close to the Rear Run Switch so very convenient to use it when jumping ) when I picked it up and once started he never flipped the switch back to front start position.

So he brought it up front running and I drove it home and parked in my garage for a few days and later later tried to start it and nothing!

I was a newbie at the time and had no idea of the " Rear Run Start" switch ...... I got lucky on day 2 and seen the switch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Run Box rt rear .jpg
Views:	23
Size:	584.9 KB
ID:	372713

Happy Hunting
Old 08-03-2022, 09:11 AM   #4

Great responses above.
Have you worked on the batteries?
I have read several times of small wires being lost or left off the batteries.
Sometimes they can even corrode and fall out of sight.
The wires feed the engine and transmission computer modules.
There will be inline fuses back somewhere near the batteries.

Ray & Marilyn
03 Windsor
RamiDav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:41 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
There is a wire that runs direct from the chassis battery cutoff switch to the transmission ECU. It has an inline fuse somewhere back by the battery bay.
Locate and replace the fuse.
Good luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 11:38 AM   #6

I was thinking similar to inline fuse wire near battery as well. There are also a VIM module that has fuses. At some point Monaco went from ignition solenoid to like 3 individual cube ign. relays. For 99 ,I think you still have single solenoid in front run bay. Is it pulling in powering dash message lamps, gauges, wipers other items thay only power up with key on.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 02:39 PM   #7

Replies to No Start condition

Chassis studs in the rear were labeled wrong. Found issue to be blown trans fuse in TCU.
Thank you to everyone for their replies. The information was greatly appreciated.
Old 08-04-2022, 06:16 PM   #8

Awesome you have it fixed and got back but.......Can you clarify about studs in rear???? Did problem start after work done that caused due to wrong labeling or wrong labels just cause confusing and lost time .
Where's TCU/ECM located on yours , could it be the VIM instead having relays inside.
Just trying to help next guy who's in same boat or finds thread.
Attachment 372835
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:06 PM   #9

Yeah, I'm wondering what chassis studs are too.
Occasionally I can't recall the proper name for something and have to make one up and hope it'll do, might be the case here. LOL

Thank heavens for fuses, that one did its job.

Ray & Marilyn
03 Windsor

BTW, Welcome to IRV2, we like to help
RamiDav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 02:55 AM   #10

Folks on top have given the suggestions I would give, aka.
1. The rear switch inside the engine, make sure it is on "Front" means: you can start in cabin area using your key. Otherwise, it can only be started from the back.
2. Check some chassis fuses
Sinyyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 03:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
The transmission and engine control modules communicate with each other.

Do you have lights on your transmission shifting panel??

Have you been working in the engine area, I have a remote start switch and have accidentally hit it a couple times causing a no start situation.

When you turn the key do you hear the lift pump running? I have 3 different fuse holders in my rear run bay that have ~7 fuses that provide power for ECM and transmission, check all these fuses.

I had this happen to me in 2013, ended up being the transmission ECU, had to a new one installed.

But I checked to make sure to check anything that may have contributed to the problem. I checked to make sure the park brake was on. I check the transmission fuse, in my case it is in my rear passenger side electrical bay. I tried to reset everything by removing all power. Nothing worked.
Finally had to have the rig towed to the Allision shop ~25 miles away (they refused to send a tech out to check, said they were short handed). Ended up diagnosing the ECU, sourced one at another shop ~100 miles away which my wife went and got, had to reprogram it for my rig and got it up and running. Cost was ~$3500. If I had time I could have removed the ECU and sent it a couple places much cheaper but I was headed out of country and my wife had a trip planned.
Thanks for the suggestions. We checked all those.. we found the diagram on the door didn’t match the wiring. We found a blown fuse in the TCU.
Old 08-07-2022, 03:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat track View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. We checked all those.. we found the diagram on the door didn’t match the wiring. We found a blown fuse in the TCU.
No we didn’t have lights on the transmission shifting panel. We did check the remote start switch. We did hear the lifting pump running.
Old 08-07-2022, 04:20 PM   #13

Congrats on locating problem.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 03:11 PM   #14

Monaco no start problem we experienced

I had a no-start problem with my Monaco years back. Had to call a truck repair in Kansas City. They found both Battery cables corroded under the insulation. Both were replaced, no problem after.
lakeozark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no start