Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2016, 08:55 PM   #1

No transmission dipstick

Was at Speedco today getting an oil change. When they went to check the transmission fluid level they twisted off the cap and there was no dipstick attached. Should I be worried that it is somewhere down the tube and poking something down in the transmission?
AtlantaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2016, 09:05 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Was there a tube into the trans or was it just a plug right on the top side of the trans? If the tube was there I'd inspect the cap and see if a dipstick had ever been attached.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:13 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
At some point Allison did away with the dipsticks.

You should be able to check your oil level with the touch pad. Press both the up & down arrows and your transmission should go through a diagnostic check and provide you with oil level.

If it is good it will show OL OK or give you how low or high it is.

I actually have 2 dipsticks in my transmission. One is accessed in the bedroom, have to take the engine compartment access panel off. The other is on the bottom of the transmission by crawling under the coach. I use the touch pad to check my oil level.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaRick View Post
Was at Speedco today getting an oil change. When they went to check the transmission fluid level they twisted off the cap and there was no dipstick attached. Should I be worried that it is somewhere down the tube and poking something down in the transmission?
Assuming the dipstick is in the tube/transmission, I don't think it can go where it can hurt anything. The dipstick should be accessible by pulling the pan. I recommend this be done at an Allison shop. You can change to synthetic fluid at the same time and be done with transmission service for a long time.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:49 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaRick View Post
We have a 2006 Diplomat with the ISL and Allison MH3000 transmission. The transmission fill tube at the rear of the coach on the passenger side is just that, a fill tube. I don't think a dip stick from that position would be practical as it would be very long. Our coach does have a dip stick for the Allison but you must remove the engine hatch in the bedroom to access it. That said, Allison recommends using the shift pad to check the transmission level and indicated that the in sump sensor will be more accurate than the dip stick because the transmission control module does temperature compensation. To use the shift pad method you must have the transmission at operating temperature, be on level ground, the engine running, and the coach at rest for a minimum of 2 minutes. If you have not met the at rest requirement the shift pad will flash a count down code indicating the time to wait. Look at the Allison manual for complete details on how to check the fluid level using the shift pad.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:00 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Do what Bob says...100% correct for your year.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:38 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Yup - Bob is correct - I had the same thoughts about the dip stick - glad I did not pull the pan to look
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:12 AM   #8

Click image for larger version

Name:	cap.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	124158Here is a picture of the cap. Looks like a dipstick might have been in the slot at one time. Does anybody have a cap like this that has a dipstick attached?
p.s. I know about the keypad method of checking the level and I had it switched to synthetic last year. I know odds are there was no dipstick but I like to worry about things.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:10 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ha ...... You own a DP. You have plenty of other things to worry about !!
Old 04-18-2016, 11:33 AM   #10

Thanks everybody. I will move on to the next worry issue

Tags
transmission