Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2009, 06:48 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
No way to prevent!!!

Driving to Atlanta from Houston, we made it almost to our destination, and I felt a bump - thought I had hit something.

Immediately the "Alternator Failure" light came on the center of the dash. The engine began to heat up. I took the very next exit which fortunately was close, and pulled into a Petro Truck Stop.

The fan belt pulley bearings had failed. When they failed, the entire mechanism (fan, pulley and rotor) tilted down and forward. The fan struck the crankshaft pulley, shattered the fan blades, and sent shards of fan blades through the radiator. Of course the fan belt was shredded as well.

The service personnel in the Petro station were terrific but they don't work on motorhomes, particularly rear radiator motorhomes. Their chief mechanic looked under the coach and gasped!

Fortunately there is a Cummins Service Center here in Atlanta, and the Service manager is incredible.

Bottom lines:

1. The fan and radiator are Monaco-specific, not Cummins, and must be ordered through Monaco.
2. Monaco Parts doesn't answer the phone. The Cummins Service Manager was able to find the manufacturer of the fan blade and has ordered one. The radiator is a problem that we've not figured out yet... he's going to try to get a core replacement/repair, but I don't yet know how that will work out.
3. Good Sam Roadside assistance will call a mechanic and send them to you, but they don't pay for repair or a tow (so I'm told by their phone rep).
4. Good Sam Extended Warranty won't pay for tow or products warranted by Cummins. In fact, I haven't found exactly what Good Sam will cover yet under my 5 year fully paid extended warranty.
5. Cummins won't pay for tow, but warrants engines.
6. Progressive will pay for towing IF you've been involved in an accident, but not for a breakdown.
8. Monaco - 'nuff said.

I've met some nice folks here in Atlanta. Looks like I'll be visiting at least for another week.

Cost of tow - $645
Cost of repair - to be determined
Cost of a good mechanic - priceless
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hope you get this resolved with as little pain as possible. It's a big concern that Monaco parts isn't helping you!
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #3

It sometimes takes 20 minutes on hold to get parts...they open at 7 Pacific time tomorrow...if you fail to get them -- you can always call Megatech of Oregon and they will get you what you need.

I'm up over my ears with my Monaco...this coach has cost me and I just got the error 13 on the fridge but at least the fridge works...fortunately dometic will cover the thing.
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:16 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Bud,

Not a pleasant thing to have happen. But it sounds like you are getting some friendly and professional help. That makes a world of difference when things go sour for you. Good luck with Monaco parts, and with the whole repair.

If you gotta be stuck somewhere, you could have done a LOT worse than Atlanta. Very interesting city, and lots to see and do there. A little warm this time of year, though, I'd guess.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:41 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Good Sam Roadside assistance will call a mechanic and send them to you, but they don't pay for repair or a tow (so I'm told by their phone rep).
That has GOT to be bad info !?!?!?! I know they don't pay for the repair, but Good Sam "roadside assistance" will not pay for a tow? What do they think ERS is for ??
Blog at www.pjrider.com
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:25 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
That has GOT to be bad info !?!?!?! I know they don't pay for the repair, but Good Sam "roadside assistance" will not pay for a tow? What do they think ERS is for ??
I've been thinking I need to dump my Good Sam ERS when it comes up for renewal and change to Coach Net. This gives me even more motivation to go in that direction. From the amount of junk mail I get from Good Sam they must spend half their budget on mailing.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:23 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So you know, Core replacements for many years were the standard way to fix a leaky radiator, and the job, if done properly by a technician who knows how to do it, is ... As good as a new OEM job.

So it should work out well

Cores can be "Custom cut" to just about any size.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:16 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
I've been thinking I need to dump my Good Sam ERS when it comes up for renewal and change to Coach Net. This gives me even more motivation to go in that direction. From the amount of junk mail I get from Good Sam they must spend half their budget on mailing.

Bob
I'll drink to that!

I've had Coachnet for several years, and they have been great! Broke down up on the Mogollon Rim in AZ; what a good feeling to see the truck pull in to the NFS campground, then load the coach aboard and take off for Sanderson Ford in Glendale, down by Phoenix, 170 miles away.

When I sent in my renewal check, I heard nothing from them. Began to wonder if they were still in business, or just ignoring me because I had cost them some money. Turns out my check was lost in the mail (stll hasn't cleared.) Sounds like the kind of excuse you'd give the IRS. Anyway, I truly would not leave home (in the coach) without them. BTW, same service applies if you're just in your car, or any other vehicle you own. The only way to fly!
Old 08-13-2009, 10:47 AM   #9

Might be an aluminum radiator; can you recore those?
IIRC the oem radiators side were being made by Radiator Specialties of Sacramento, CA. Might check w/them to see if they have a replacement model.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:58 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Might be an aluminum radiator; can you recore those?
IIRC the oem radiators side were being made by Radiator Specialties of Sacramento, CA. Might check w/them to see if they have a replacement model.
Generally, since aluminum cores are welded to the top and bottom header you cannot recore an aluminum radiator. Even if you can cut the old radiator away from the headers the cost to hand weld the tubes would be expensive. The new aluminum core will usually come with end pieces with the tubes machine welded. Depending on the specifics the jobber will recieve the core and fully formed and welded header with inlet and outlet tubes installed. If not, the jobber can then fit any number of top pieces, inlet and outlet tubes in the shop. Since building a custom radiator is a one off the big expense is the labor involved to build the end pieces of the headers and framing required to mount the radiator. Depending on how many people are in the middle the price can jump quite a bit. If you're fortunate to bring the coach to a radiator shop that specializes in truck and other heavy duty radiators the price can be very competitive than what Monaco will charge and maybe less. Otherwise, lots of phone interaction is required to make sure of the dimensions and other design considerations and the price goes up.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
The Cummins Service Manager finally got in touch with Monaco, but it was over a different issue - the "Salesman Switch" or Battery Cut-Out Switch just inside the front door. Seems that it decided to start turning off whenever it wants!

The Service Manager said that Monaco Parts guy said he's never heard of a "Battery Cut-out switch" or a "Salesman Switch." Interesting.

The Service Manager says that the radiator is PLASTIC!!! Geez. It must be some fancy plastic! I have never heard of a plastic radiator in all my life.

The Monaco guy didn't know where to get a fan blade. The Service Manager already has one on order - when I talk with him again, I'll get the company name and post it. The fan blade didn't come in today (Friday), so it'll be Monday before the next overnight arrives. Good! I haven't seen enough of Atlanta anyway.

I'm guessing that Good Sam Emergency Roadside Assistance simply means that they look in a telephone book and call a mechanic for you. I'm certainly glad I bought the PLATINUM EDITION of that piece of junk. I wouldn't want a telephone operator cutting their fingers on a phone book that was anything less than platinum.

Just FYI, I think the "Platinum" means that THEY get your platinum and you get bupkus. Well, that's not true entirely. They did send a mechanic who said he couldn't work on the motorhome and that I was screwed. I knew I was screwed before he said that, but it was useful information for someone else to smile and say, "You're screwed," I guess...

Don't get the impression that I'm angry over this. I'm really not! I find it useful information to find out that Good Sam ERS is useless. At least I won't waste money on it in the future. I've met some really terrific people. The Cummins Service Manager calls me at least once a day, sometimes more, and keeps me up-to-date on what's happening. I've had some Brunswick Stew to die for. Man, I could eat this stuff by the wheelbarrow full. If you go to Atlanta, stop on US41 in Marietta and eat at Sonny's BBQ.

And if you're coming to Atlanta this year, look me up - I'll probably still be here!
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
Old 08-14-2009, 02:00 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Well guys, I've told you wrong. It was right when I told you, but wrong now!

I called Good Sam ERS again because I looked at the web site. The operator tells me that I was told wrong last Friday night - Good Sam ERS DOES cover towing, unlimited distance, no out-of-pocket $$$.

They are sending me a claims form for reimbursement. See, nice people just keep coming out of the woodwork.

This is why I write you! You give me all the good ideas.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
Old 08-14-2009, 04:40 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudtheDiplomat View Post
And if you're coming to Atlanta this year, look me up - I'll probably still be here!
Hey Bud,

Suz and I will come down for Christmas. We'll put up a tree in the service center parking lot. It'll be great fun!
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:51 PM   #14
gg

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The term (plastic) Radiator - typical refers to the two end tanks of any modern heat exchanger (cross flow)in the auto industry since early 1980s. The actual heat transfer to the air is the alum core. The GM design had a service process to fix leaks in the core to tank interface but the typical new replacement was cheaper so most just replaced. If the damage is large to the core Aluminum honeycomb it would need to be replaced ,-if small say 1 or 2 channels a weld job should do it.

Good luck