Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #1

Non-Monaco Owners Advice

It is great that everyone tries to help but sometimes I worry about a new Monaco owner getting advice on this "Monaco Owner's Forum" from folks that do not own a Monaco of the same vintage and model as the person asking the question.

Absolutely there are a lot of things generic to most RVs but when a fifth wheel owner provides a suggestion to a diesel pusher owner about a specific electrical problem, BEWARE.

Same when an owner of Some Other Brand (SOB) that is on a gas front engine Workhorse chassis tries to help a new owner that has a completely different coach. Trying to help is wonderful, just be careful to identify potential differences.

It is incumbent on the original poster to clearly identify the brand, year, and model coach, along with any options that might be involved with the problem. For instance an engine problem on an ISL400 might be different from some other engine. There are HUGE differences even among the Monaco models of the same year. Chassis and electrical systems can be as different as day and night. Please be clear as to what coach you have when asking a question.

Again, it is fantastic that everyone wants to help. It makes for a tight community. Just try to make sure you don't lead someone on a wild goose chase and make sure you don't blindly follow someone's advice that has a significantly different RV than the one you are having a problem with.

Happy Trails,
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2013, 06:47 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Well Les, there`s not much need for you to post on this forum, since not many have a 06, Sig & a 600 ISX -- Bill Willard
William Willard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
Well Les, there`s not much need for you to post on this forum, since not many have a 06, Sig & a 600 ISX -- Bill Willard
Absolutely true.

I do try to respond when someone with a Dynasty ask a question since I also have owned a 2002 Dynasty ISL400. Actually, much is similar with the Dynasty, Executive, and Signature after 2000. What I try to do is "qualify" my responses with what may be important to realize should someone's RV have a different arrangement.

Good point, Bill.
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:46 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Well Bill, we all think that smart a## comments should not be posted as you have just done as you don't even post what coach you have. Some of us do have similar coaches and appreciate Les's help and knowledge......

Dave
Old 07-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Stallings View Post
It is great that everyone tries to help but sometimes I worry about a new Monaco owner getting advice on this "Monaco Owner's Forum" from folks that do not own a Monaco of the same vintage and model as the person asking the question.

Absolutely there are a lot of things generic to most RVs but when a fifth wheel owner provides a suggestion to a diesel pusher owner about a specific electrical problem, BEWARE.

Same when an owner of Some Other Brand (SOB) that is on a gas front engine Workhorse chassis tries to help a new owner that has a completely different coach. Trying to help is wonderful, just be careful to identify potential differences.

It is incumbent on the original poster to clearly identify the brand, year, and model coach, along with any options that might be involved with the problem. For instance an engine problem on an ISL400 might be different from some other engine. There are HUGE differences even among the Monaco models of the same year. Chassis and electrical systems can be as different as day and night. Please be clear as to what coach you have when asking a question.

Again, it is fantastic that everyone wants to help. It makes for a tight community. Just try to make sure you don't lead someone on a wild goose chase and make sure you don't blindly follow someone's advice that has a significantly different RV than the one you are having a problem with.

Happy Trails,
Good post and premise, Les.

As the commercial advises, just because I can say Bonjour, doesn't mean I'm a french model.

Trust, but verify.

Dometic1200LRM are the same in a fifth wheel as in the Monaco I'm fairly sure. But if you want ride height, better check your source.

What I don't like in a forum, and I post on several, is the not thought of here syndrome. If you are not one of the self appointed guru's then your comments aren't welcome. These folk don't like to be disagreed with regardless of your experience in other related matters. I don't want that here. I find that this is the most open minded polite forum on the net.

One of my favorites is the oil vs grease packed front bearings. Some people like one some like the other. But that is not fact. Opinion and fact are not clearly distinguished in many posts and neither are cost and value. Most folks are subject to confirmation bias.

I should also point out that one of my favorite things about physics is its universal application. Four stroke motors share amazing similarities whether they are ISX's or 2 cylinder opposed. People seem to be resistant if you don't own XYZ product. Questions like "My buddy drilled a half inch hole in my engine computer and now it won't start, what should I do?", don't require owning the product to answer. Even questions like whats the best technique to climb hills are fairly straight forward, gas or diesel.

Some of the most humbling experiences I've had are learning from those I have prejudged. You know the type, the knuckle headed twit with the personal skills of a scorpion. Sometime those guys are right, too. Even worse are the unassuming inexperienced who offer an observation on your pet topic that doesn't fit in your experience, who are right. Crow isn't all that tasty.

I offer this as a most humble opinion.

YMMV
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I love the advise given on the subject of "slides out and leveling". I have been told I am crazy (on other forums) for using the procedure outlined in the Owners Manual. Even had a few "other than Monaco owners" disagree on this forum. The old saying still goes "my way or the highway".
roscoesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #7

Old marine gunny sgt taught me a very long time ago. Advice is a great thing, you listen say thanks, consider the source and make up your own mind if it makes a logical option for you. You can take it or leave it as long as it is not a direct order from someone up the chain..... D and no I am the only male in the family who went some where else for my military service...
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #8

I disagree.Most of the problems people ask about here are generic in most ways to some degree.A person ought to be smart enough to only post if they really have a clue as to what the problem is or answer to such and a Op should be equally smart enough to know whats going to be helpfull and what is not.I do agree There are a lot of people whom post answers whom do not have a single clue as to whats really what and should reframe from posting
Just read DupDyke post and thats exactly what iam also trying to say
deadbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Les.....I agree to some degree. "roscoesdad" hit on my favorite. Someone here will ask about slides for their new to them Monaco and someone with another brand will chime in and say the Monaco way is wrong.

I think there are a lot of similarities between coaches, but occasionally some are Monaco specific. If someone with another brand offers a solution, good for them for participating, but some others can be adamant that their answer is the right answer because it works on their brand coach.

We should never discourage or criticize any response because it eventually limits the open communication like it does on that other forum that is loaded with knuckleheads!
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
"My buddy drilled a half inch hole in my engine computer and now it won't start, what should I do?"
YMMV
Thanks.. I'll be using that one again.. You'd be surprised at how close one's to that I've heard..
Old 07-12-2013, 05:43 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
When a Monaco specific question is answered by "I own a Winnie and we do it this way", no further reading required! It is sad that a newbe might think it's the gospel...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhinds View Post
Well Bill, we all think that smart a## comments should not be posted as you have just done as you don't even post what coach you have. Some of us do have similar coaches and appreciate Les's help and knowledge......

Dave
Dave -- I sent you a PM -- Bill Willard
William Willard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #13
YC1

TEAM:
Together, Everyone, Achieves, Magic. In problem solving even silly or what may seem way off base suggestions may lead to the solution. I tell people when helping them diagnose a problem that I may seem to ask the same question several times. Often there is a subtle clue they did not think was important or often something they just did not mention.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Barge View Post
Thanks.. I'll be using that one again.. You'd be surprised at how close one's to that I've heard..
No Problem! I "paraphrased" it from another forum.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote