RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Norcold Fridge

I have an 05' Cayman with a Norcold fridge. Two years ago, I had the recall work done on it, which involved installing a heat sensor. About a year later, the heat sensor activated and shut down the fridge. I took the coach to another repair facility and they installed another heat sensor. Two weeks ago it activated again during a thunder storm. I went to another facility and the tech said it could be reset, by placing a strong magnet against the sensor, above the red light, for a few seconds. He did that and the sensor was reset. Today, during another thunder storm, the sensor activated again and shut it down the fridge. I went to Auto Zone and purchased a mechanic's magnet. Placed it on the sensor and it reset.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? And will Norcold keep paying for new sensors everytime they fail. I heard that the recall did not address the possible heat build up problem, so they install the heat shut off sensor.

frank J P is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to the Norcold Nightmare!

Someday, you will most likely get tired of dealing with the POS and then you can look for something that really works and operates like a refrigerator is supposed to.

Until then don't lose that magnet.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The "heat sensor" is a band aide to keep a problem with the design from burning up more RVs. Norcold still has not fixed the design problem of the frigs getting too hot.

Since you keep tripping the sensor, I would suspect that the frig is getting too hot. You can get an Amish cooling unit installed and get away from the design problem on the Norcold.

Ken
Old 08-23-2013, 04:38 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank J P View Post
I have an 05' Cayman with a Norcold fridge. Two years ago, I had the recall work done on it, which involved installing a heat sensor. About a year later, the heat sensor activated and shut down the fridge. I took the coach to another repair facility and they installed another heat sensor. Two weeks ago it activated again during a thunder storm. I went to another facility and the tech said it could be reset, by placing a strong magnet against the sensor, above the red light, for a few seconds. He did that and the sensor was reset. Today, during another thunder storm, the sensor activated again and shut it down the fridge. I went to Auto Zone and purchased a mechanic's magnet. Placed it on the sensor and it reset.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? And will Norcold keep paying for new sensors everytime they fail. I heard that the recall did not address the possible heat build up problem, so they install the heat shut off sensor.
Frank,

There is nothing wrong with the sensor other than a poor design. It is a band aid to prevent operating the cooling unit after it becomes obstructed. When obstruction starts to build up in the cooling unit the temperature will elevate. The recall box measures the temperature of the cooling unit and has a set point that if reached disables the Norcold from operating. I am familiar with electronic circuits and deal with these kinds of problems all the time. A thunderstorm has more electrical engery than most mortal humans can imagine. The circuit that measures the temperature of the cooling unit is a sensitive circuit that responds to millivolts of signal. When lightning strikes nearby, the electormagnet pulse induces voltage into all conductors in the surrounding area. The longer the wire the more voltage is induced. The recall box is just responding to the induced voltage that is temporally created by the lightning. Keep your magnet handy and reset as required.

We are also in the camp that went from the Norcold to a Samsung frig. We made our change because of saftey concerns. Some want to stay with the propane frig for dry camping so I will not attempt to influence your choice.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:02 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I had my heat sensor installed a year ago. Never had a problem until last week. During a bad storm the sensor was activated. I bought a magnet and reset it.
From reading the forums it seems to happen in storms. My theory is, if the wind is strong and from a direction that prevents the heat from coming out the vent, the heat builds up and activates the sensor. It probably happens in other brand units, but they don't have a sensor to activate.
After resetting mine, it's been good ever since. I keep a thermometer in the frige. It sits at 32 at night and 36 during the day.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you all for the information. Keeping the magnet handy.
frank J P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Frank......One day it may not reset and the refer may not have failed. Don't let it ruin a trip. Keep in mind that the sensor is just a SWITCH. When it was installed, they pulled the 12 volt power wire off of your refer, plugged it into their "Black Box" and took the wire from their "Black Box" and plugged it into the refer where they removed the 12 volt power lead. If the box fails and can't be reset and you're sure the refer didn't fail, you can just pull the power lead from the "Black Box" and plug it back into the refer. You can do this until a replacement is available.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Agree with above. I did that until I found a magnet. On my unit there is a blue wire from the sensor box to the circuit board of the frige. The red wire that comes from the MH and now goes to the black box can be plugged into the circuit board where the blue or blAck wire from the black box is now.
I got my flashlight and looked for any ammonia stains white or yellow or any odor. I'm confident if you loose your frige in a storm it's because of the winds.

Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, norcold