RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2020, 12:47 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Maybe you can just throw a couple hundred $'s at your Norcold, and it will do the job.
There are literally thousands of them out there doing the job for others.

I know that some little 12 volt computer fans and the adjustable temperature sensor smartend mine up.

I like the fact that I can run mine on propane when we are dry camping. We don't need a huge solar set-up and battery bank either.

And my beer and ice is always nice and cold..

Happy Glamping
Happy Glamping.Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2020, 12:43 PM   #16

I believe best buy is a fisher paykell dealer now.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:21 PM   #17

I'm sure you've checked but You better confirm stock or delivery dates . I was looking for fridge for SB a couple months ago some were 2+ month wait.
If you have to go through a window ,rental stores rent Hijackers most are not really designed for the bulk of a fridge or sliding things on or off them . On dirt you may want to firmly stake down and or cross brace to keep stable and from sliding.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:09 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I did mine about 4 months ago, went in and out via a window was easier than the door. I used a material lift from a rental place for the in and out.

I just removed the furnace we use small space heaters instead and we donít plan on going anywhere cold enough to need a full furnace, we have the heat pumps if needed.

Used the existing platform the norcold sat on and just lowered it.

All in all this is one mod we did that was the best for us. The only issue I have had is when the Samsung goes to defrost if I am not extremely level I can get some condensation leaking.

On the list to get a fix for that.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:13 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just wondering if anyone has feedback on dealer's trade-in, or resale value after mods like removing furnace, or just having a 120 volt only fridge?

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping.Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 09-29-2020, 01:50 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Maybe you can just throw a couple hundred $'s at your Norcold, and it will do the job.

I know that some little 12 volt computer fans and the adjustable temperature sensor smartend mine up.

I like the fact that I can run mine on propane when we are dry camping. We don't need a huge solar set-up and battery bank either.

And my beer and ice is always nice and cold..

Happy Glamping
That's an interesting thought. I just fixed an issue on the Norcold and this has got me in a mood to consider your suggestions. And, as you said, if it's a couple hundred bucks then it's also not the end of the world if it suffers catastrophic failure. Also, I checked the temperature setting and it was set to 7 out of 9 with 9 being the coldest. So it seems there is still some room there....if your suggestion also helps then perhaps all is not lost.

I don't run it on propane for the reason that I don't want to die in a horrible fire. Although, perhaps even that could change on a limited basis.

Question, where did you get your fans and sensor thing? Did it make a difference?

Is the fridge a lot more efficient or colder when it's run on propane?

Bob Jones - 2000 Monaco Diplomat
BobJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:21 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
That's an interesting thought. I just fixed an issue on the Norcold and this has got me in a mood to consider your suggestions. And, as you said, if it's a couple hundred bucks then it's also not the end of the world if it suffers catastrophic failure. Also, I checked the temperature setting and it was set to 7 out of 9 with 9 being the coldest. So it seems there is still some room there....if your suggestion also helps then perhaps all is not lost.

I don't run it on propane for the reason that I don't want to die in a horrible fire. Although, perhaps even that could change on a limited basis.

Question, where did you get your fans and sensor thing? Did it make a difference?

Is the fridge a lot more efficient or colder when it's run on propane?
I got the new thermister from snipthetip.com and the fans from EBay. About $60 there for both.

I also installed a "ARP fridge defend" that turns on the fan when the temperature rises. It cools the tubes on the back, increasing the efficiency. Works if you are on propane or electric. $170.

I got the fridge defend as basically insurance against overheating when we are on propane. The added plus is the control for the fan. You could add more fans and control them with a relay if the load is above the rating of the controller.

I don't see much difference between propane and electric. My beer and wine are cold, and that's the important thing.

Happy Glamping.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:39 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
ARP Fridge Defend videos to watch.

I realize it's basically a commercial for their products, but if you watch the videos on their web site, it may answer some questions about the safety of running on propane.

Happy Glamping.

I have no connection with ARP Fridge Defend. I'm just a satisfied customer.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:53 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I appreciate the info - thank you!

After turning temperature setting from 7 to 8 the bacon in the freezer is rock hard. I'm almost wondering if it's worth picking up a tub of ice cream and seeing what happens

Old 09-29-2020, 11:19 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
I appreciate the info - thank you!

After turning temperature setting from 7 to 8 the bacon in the freezer is rock hard. I'm almost wondering if it's worth picking up a tub of ice cream and seeing what happens
Why NOT......now that YOU have the Flapper heater and divider heater working and you know your door seals are good

Thermistor......temp sensing device attached to fin in food compartment
If needed to replace just unplug from light assembly and plug new one in
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:49 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Why NOT......now that YOU have the Flapper heater and divider heater working and you know your door seals are good

Thermistor......temp sensing device attached to fin in food compartment
If needed to replace just unplug from light assembly and plug new one in
Old-Biscuit, what's your opinion of the "Snip the Tip" replacement thermister?

https://www.snip-the-tip.com/cgi-bin/articca.cgi

It's attached to the sidewall of the fridge, not the cooling fin.

It's adjustable, but there is still the 1 to 9 setting on the panel, so how is the tempurature controlled?

Norman.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Old-Biscuit, what's your opinion of the "Snip the Tip" replacement thermister?

https://www.snip-the-tip.com/cgi-bin/articca.cgi

It's attached to the sidewall of the fridge, not the cooling fin.

It's adjustable, but there is still the 1 to 9 setting on the panel, so how is the tempurature controlled?

Norman.
Snip-The-Tip is a great ALTERNATIVE for replacement of thermistors that have their leads embedded in the fridge and go to lower circuit
Snip-The-Tip gets connected to OEM leads and is a simple Rheostat \ increase/decrease resistance ----can affect overall temps by 6*F - 8*F
Adjustments on upper display control thermostat temp range with fed back from thermistor

Thermistor (OEM or Rheostat) provide temp sensing....Thermostat controls Heat Cycles based on Temp Sensing from Thermistor and Temp Set Point
Thermostat is Final Control

If you have a Norcold the OEM thermistor is easily replaced as it just plugs into light assembly
Contact spot on thermistor and Fin need to be clean/tight so sensing of fin is not impeded. FIN temp runs approx. 10*F LOWER then air temp in compartment (25*F Fin Temp should result in 35*F Compartment temp)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 02:32 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:

That turned out to be really good advice!

I had a 120mm computer fan lying around so I installed it the other day on the far right of the fridge blowing to the left across the fins. I also installed a fridge temperature monitor so I can monitor the freezer and the fridge at the same time. The issue was that the lower right door of the fridge was always up around 6c

With just that one fan the freezer is at -16c and the fridge is at 2c in that bottom left corner door !!

I have one more fan coming that I'm thinking of installing below the lowest rack on the far right. This should suck the warm air up and feed it into the fan that is blowing across the fins making very even cooling all the way around.

Fridge temperature setting went from 9 down to 3 and it's likely going to go down to 2 when the new fan arrives. So this worked out really, really well.

Bad cooling was the single biggest reason I wanted to replace the Norcold. The second biggest reason was the cost to run the thing at the 8 or 9 setting all year long. The cooling seems to have been addressed, I have ice cream in the fridge, and, I'm guessing that changing the setting from 8/9 down to 2 will have a positive impact on the electric bill.

Best part, total cost will be about $30 CDN as I had one fan and the wiring lying around.

BTW, I velcroed the fan to the fridge top with industrial velcro. This means I can easily change the position or angle. I also used an alligator clip to ground it to the fins so that it can be turned on or off easily. My fridge shuts the 12v off to the light when door closed so I had to run the wire down the drain tube. Also, I saw a post from long ago saying that moving the thermistor to the top of the fin is worth ~5 degrees of increased cold. Not sure it matters anymore with the fan in place.

When the second fan comes in it will go directly below this one, but on the bottom rack of the fridge and blow the warm air up into the fin fan. That should get me perfectly even cooling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0159.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	303600  

Old 10-07-2020, 12:35 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Glad it's working for you.

I would have to think long and hard to switch to a residential fridge. Even if our trusty Norcold quits.

Happy Glamping.

Tags
ace, fridge, norcold, replace, replacement