RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Norcold no power

Turned off norcold 1200 at end of trip. Had difficulty getting it to shut off (had to hit on/off switch many times to get it off, now can't get it to turn on (not even lights on switches and mode indicator. Where do I start looking. Have ac power to both plugs where refrig is plugged in but no 12V power to front switch panel.
Doug

Doug Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You might want to start by checking the two fuses on Page 29 figure 33 http://dutchmen.com/image/data/docum...fer_Manual.pdf

If that don;t do it then your control board has probably died.

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
control board

Control board being the circuit board with on/off button, mode button and temp setting display?
Old 10-05-2014, 05:51 PM   #4

Has your Norcold had the recalls performed? If so check inside the refrigerator door on the outside. Does yours have a small (2") black box attached to the refrigerator? Does this black box have a red light on it? Is the small red light lit?

If the small red light is illuminated there may be a way to reset it. Just let me know.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #5

I have heard the way to reset if that red light is on is to run a strong magnet over it. I solved my Norcold problems once and for all with a better way. It is called Samsung.
arby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:58 PM   #6
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Patton View Post
Control board being the circuit board with on/off button, mode button and temp setting display?
I think he was talking about the control board under black plastic cover on the rear of the refer.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:43 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Patton View Post
Have you looked at the manual and page provided by Brian in message #2 above? There is a picture of the circuit board (with the fuses and the box it's located in). The "box" is located outside on the back lower left.. Also note troubleshooting procedures...Best, least expensive place to buy a new ckt bd is the Amish refrigeration site.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Black Box Light

Bigd9,
Yes the "fix" for the Norcold recall has been installed and yes the red light is on. Please provide info as to how to reset the "black box". Am in process of trying to run a strong magnet over it as suggested by others who responded to this post.
Thanks for the great response and suggestions,
Doug
Old 10-06-2014, 10:59 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Norcold Recall Black Box

I found the black box and the light was on. I took plastic cover off box and ran strong magnet across solenoid and it did re-set. But when I re-connect the black box to the wires that I took off to open it to access the solenoid, after about 30 seconds, it trips again. Keep in mind that this coach has been sitting for about two weeks with refrigerator off and it is still off so there is no heat buildup to set off the thermal-connector which monitors the heat build up. Seems like Norcold will only send recall repair kit once so another unit is not available. Any suggestions, and yes I checked the two fuses mentioned earlier and they are in tact and apparently I am getting 12V to the black box or the red light would not come on. Need some suggestions as to what to look for next. Worked fine until we turned the refrigerator off about two weeks ago after returning from a trip.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:54 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Personal opinion but I suspect the recall box has failed. Do so at your own risk but since there are many stories of the recall box (the one with the red light) failing you can bypass the box by Taking the DC wire coming into "the box" and put it directly to your control board. Most probably that will mean disconnecting a blue cable from the box to the control board and replacing it with a yellow cable that was providing 12v to the box. Make sure you turn off the 12 v power before doing this and be aware that the recall box was installed to keep you from burning down your coach if the frig were to fail and you are now bypassing that safeguard.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Personal opinion but I suspect the recall box has failed. Do so at your own risk but since there are many stories of the recall box (the one with the red light) failing you can bypass the box by Taking the DC wire coming into "the box" and put it directly to your control board. Most probably that will mean disconnecting a blue cable from the box to the control board and replacing it with a yellow cable that was providing 12v to the box. Make sure you turn off the 12 v power before doing this and be aware that the recall box was installed to keep you from burning down your coach if the frig were to fail and you are now bypassing that safeguard.

I was real hesitant to offer this suggestion, but you are correct. This box is a safeguard and a legal way out for Norcold if anything was to happen. By disconnecting it Norcold can say "not our problem". I was NOT aware that Norcold would only send 1 replacement. There have been several versions of this dreaded black box each one supposedly better constructed than the last. I had heard they would only send replacements to a qualified repair service center for them to put on and not to us lowly peons.

If I was you, I would make a case with them once again. If the box is bad, they should replace it. But then again, they did just enter into a settlement of a class action lawsuit. Weather the judge accepts it or not is a big question.

Best of luck to you, and do please let us know how it goes. Many of us are/will be in the same boat.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:02 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I like Arby's answer best. It may not be the least-expensive solution, but safer, more convenient and less headaches in the long-run.

Hope you get it fixed, in any case.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:20 AM   #13

Between 2 motor homes I have had 4 black boxes fail. 2 failed without displaying a red light, they just stopped passing power, they were replaced by a dealer but it took 2 weeks each time. The third box tripped with a red light before I left the dealer with the fridge off, another 2 weeks. Last box tripped in my drive way with the fridge off, may have been the result of a power outage we had one night. Both fridges were checked for over heat, both checked out ok. Got fed up with the uncertainty and the worry when the box was by-passed, so replaced the fridge with a Samsung. Sad thing the Norcold always worked perfectly with no recall box attached.

Steve

2006 Windsor PRT
Dalsn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:10 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
To Norcold no power

Same thing here...we bought a used MH, the Norcold worked when we got it, now it doesn't. The recall has been performed, the red light is on but rather than messing with it and taking the risk of fire, we decided to take it to a certified technician who knows how to troubleshoot it. If, indeed, it is toast, we will most likely go the conversion route and get a "real" refrigerator as so many before have done with great results.

Probably not much help but I can identify with your frustrating problem, for what that's worth.

'05 Windsor 40 PDQ

vavitro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold, power