Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2011, 02:19 PM   #1

Norcold refrig

HELP!
We have a 99 Windsor. On our trip last week, we found we had a "torn" gasket in the right hand (while looking at the unit) frig door of our 4 door frig/freezer. We visited a couple of RV repair shops and were told we had to purchase a new door as no gasket was available. Did anyone else have this problem? If so, what did you do? Surely there has to be some other solution than a $300+ new door. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. While we were on this trip, wife ended up using that good old American SCOTCH TAPE. Sure hate to have that permanently. Jim
James Wehren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #2

I gave a working 1200LRIM to a to one of these re-builders in Arkansas. The only thing the guy did was pay for the freight. I would try calling one of these places that rebuild these Norcolds. I have a regular residential refrigerator in my coach now. It is self defrosting and holds a gallon of milk in the door and keeps my ice cream frozen even on the hottest days. Good luck, George R. 2001 Diplomat
Old 05-30-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You may want to check in with these people they may have what you need.
They do not show seals but may know how to get them.
Have you had the recall done for your fridge?
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
, As a 15 yr ser. mgr. allow me to jump in here and preach a little. The reason we changed so many gaskets was because people did not clean and dry the seal and door edge (seal mating area) after each use. Milk, jam, coke. etc run in this area(while bouncing down the road) and act like a glue. After the MH sits for a period of time in heat, the seal glues itself to the jamb. When you open the door it rips the seal.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
May I jump in? What would stop someone from finding a seal that is used on other refrigerator doors, put some contact cement on the door, and stick the seal to it. If it were done correctly it would seal just as well as the seal that is on there, maybe even better since it will not be torn.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a bunch of seals that you maybe able to match up.
Have not found any information on how to replace door seal but if you fold the seal back on itself you may find screws or a metal strip with screws to remove and use for new gasket.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies. Call me dumb but I did not think it was required to clean and dry the gasket after each use. Of course, when there was a spill, I took care of it immediately. Mrs. Jim
James Wehren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Ours ripped also and it is hard to believe that it is not replaceable. We were told the same story...you need to replace the entire door. This is sure a poor design. I never did see any "sticky" residue causing it to rip. I would be interested if anyone figures out a way to change out that gasket.
nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Wehren View Post
Thanks for the replies. Call me dumb but I did not think it was required to clean and dry the gasket after each use. Of course, when there was a spill, I took care of it immediately. Mrs. Jim
If i left you with the impression that the seal has to be cleaned every day or every time you open the door i am sorry. I meant it should be cleaned before storage. While the coach is being used, it maintains a reasonable temp. inside. While in storage it can rise to 130 degrees or more. If the seal is not clean, the milk, coke, etc will harden and glue the seal to the doorjamb. Of course this is not the only thing that can happen. I am just saying the taught us this in school for Dometic and Norcold.