Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2014, 03:20 PM   #1

Not so dreadful generator fuel filter change.

Finally got around to changing the onan quiet diesel 7500 fuel filter. Been dreading this because of all the threads on here about how nasty of a job it was. I was over due by about 200 hours. That's how much I didn't want to do this change.
Don't know if I got lucky or if I just planned well but it was very easy. Matter of fact it was probably the easiest cleanest filter change I've done on the motorhome.
Here's how I did it. Got a set of fluid line clamps from Harbor Freight for $8.00. I clamped off both lines about 2 inches before they enter the generator housing. Also bought a set of flair wrenches at you guessed it Harbor Freight for $9.99. Held the fixed nut on the filter itself and turned the flair nuts as suggested in the operators manual. Drained the small amount of diesel in the line. Very small amount of diesel came out since I clamped off the lines. Removed the filter mount nut and removed old filter. Placed new filter on threads but threaded each fuel line on hand tight before I installed the fuel filter mount nut. This was also suggested in the owners manual. Snugged up the fuel lines one flat of the flair nut as suggested, installed the filter mount nut and primed the fuel pump and started it up to check for leaks.
After that experience can't imagine any easier task. I think the key was the fuel line clamps.
Hope this helps some one do theirs easier cause there are a whole lot of posts on here about having diesel run down their arms to the armpit
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2014, 06:43 PM   #2
R&J

Monaco Owners Club
Nice write up. You made a easy job of it.
R&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:02 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R&J View Post
Nice write up. You made a easy job of it.
What he said. Thanks, now maybe I will not spill as much stinky stuff all over me when I change mine.
CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:03 AM   #4

Is this the clamps you used?
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:24 AM   #5

Not so dreadful generator fuel filter change.

Medical forceps (vascular clamps) that are sold at swap meets and tool shops also work well.
They also do the job for replacing AquaHot circulation pumps and fuel filters.
Mine have a 1 5/8 inch jaws.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1403443357.617241.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	999.6 KB
ID:	65912
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #6

HR2004
Yes those are the exact clamps. The knob is made of hard plastic but the silver threaded rod and red clamping bracket are metal. They feel very sturdy. I'm some times a little skeptical of the quality of tools at Harbor Freight and I'm a little more selective when it comes to certain tools but I believe these will last.
By the way from your posting signature what model of Holiday Rambler do you have?
Old 06-22-2014, 10:30 AM   #7

HR2004,
Didn't see your model listed at bottom of your post until I went back and re read it.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #8

Thanks for the update Letgoagain.. I'll be going to the Harbor Frieght toy store, I mean tool store tomorrow.. :-)
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, generator