Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2007, 08:17 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello again. Should the OD and the D on the shift lever mean something? It seems that I have a stopping point on the lever that is not quite on either, but between them. In other words, I was expecting to be able to lock out of OD by just putting it in D while towing a trailer or climbing grades. As I have only driven it a short while, it has become a little clearer, that the shift lever does not stop at D, but goes from OD to 2 to 1. Is this normal or do I have a linkage issue? It was suggested in another forum that Monaco may not use the OD lockout on their coaches. I am looking for your insight and recommendations if you think something is wrong here.

Thanks.
'19 Newmar Canyon Star 3911 F53 #26K
'17 Lincoln MKZ towed by BlueOx
GLWilliams58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2007, 08:17 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello again. Should the OD and the D on the shift lever mean something? It seems that I have a stopping point on the lever that is not quite on either, but between them. In other words, I was expecting to be able to lock out of OD by just putting it in D while towing a trailer or climbing grades. As I have only driven it a short while, it has become a little clearer, that the shift lever does not stop at D, but goes from OD to 2 to 1. Is this normal or do I have a linkage issue? It was suggested in another forum that Monaco may not use the OD lockout on their coaches. I am looking for your insight and recommendations if you think something is wrong here.

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:10 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Greg...there are only a few of us this late...give it time..someone will get back to this post in the AM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:07 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the reply MM. No rush. Just curiosity at this point.

gw
Old 08-30-2007, 07:08 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Still curious.

Any HR Admiral owners have a similar issue? Or could anyone say they definitively have an OD and a D, 2, 1 slot on an '04 HR WH P series?

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:30 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Still curious.

After 7000 miles I am quite sure that I have 1, 2 and OD, but no three.....even though there is a 1,2,D and OD on the shifter.

I have no problem with this, but am still wondering if anyone else has this same set up?

No rush...
Old 10-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #7

I wish I could help but .... Is this with the Allison transmission, GM, or Ford?
Old 10-07-2008, 03:50 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to Garbageman
I would take the motorhome to a GM truck repair facility that is deals with transmissions. It may be as simple as the link is out of adjustment or there is something interfering with the linkage, whether the linkage is external or internal.

Paul
Garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Lets say that your going down the road at 60mph and the tach says that the engine is turning at lets say for example 2000RPM in Drive. If you were to put the trans in Overdrive the rpm's should be reduced while maintaining that 60mph speed. Thats my understanding. Experts please jump in.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:43 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Should the OD and the D on the shift lever mean something? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't know how we all missed this post originally but,,,
Yes. In OD, you have 3 forward gears and an Overdrive for a total of 4 forward gears.
In D, you have 3 forward gears, no Overdrive. This is used in any areas where the trans begins shifting up/down and cannot stay in OD. OD is used for flat highway driving where the trans is not constantly "hunting" for the proper gear.
You should definitely have 4 distinct spots to put the trans in on the lever.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:23 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Okay. Thanks everyone.

What strikes me as odd about this is that the shifter stops between the OD and the D, and only shifts down to 2 and 1.

In other words, if I am driving forward and move the shifter down once, I will be in second gear. When I move the shifter down again, I will be in first gear.

What I was really looking to hear here, was whether anyone with the same rig has the same four shifter options labeled on the column, and has a similar three position movement. Or if someone with the same rig can confirm that they can indeed put it in OD, then shift down to D, 2 and 1.

Keep in mind that otherwise, driving is fine and I know the transmission is doing what it should from 1 to 2 to 3 and to OD. Nothing appears to be broken, unless the D on the column was really supposed to do something.

Thanks to everyone that gave this some thought.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In other words, if I am driving forward and move the shifter down once, I will be in second gear. When move the shifter down again, I will be in first gear. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If this is what is happening, then you are not getting into OverDrive. 3rd gear, or the "D" position on the gearshift, Is approx a 1 to 1 ratio and OD is around .60 to one. You should be feeling all four gears as it/you shift.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 02:13 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
With the 4L85E you should have an "overdrive off" switch on the dash or stalk. There is no shifter position to force 3rd gear.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:04 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Lets cover the basics first. The detents in the transmission, the detents in the shifter, and the gear selection indicator all must be synchronized. For example, when the lever coming out of the transmission is in "D," the gearshift should be against the "D" stop when the lever is pulled out of park and moved to "D" and after those two are aligned together, adjust the indicator to show that it is in "D" also. A reputable transmission shop
would be familiar with such an adjustment.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote