Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2017, 10:02 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Odd Problem

I have had an odd problem that appeared to be an intermittent over heating issue when it happened it would run just below the red which made me very nervous so I cleaned the rear radiator again and all seemed well it would run about 185 then it did it again last Sunday on the way to a camp ground so I CLEANED THE radiator for the third time I had noticed when it was running hot the volt meter on the dash would be only 12v which looked odd. So when we were heading home I hooked op my ODB scanner to monitor engine coolant temp and had my wife keep an eye on the temp and it was running about 185 nice and cool then about half way home we hit some rain so I turned on the wipers and headlights when I looked at the temp gauge it was around 225 just under the red knowing the only thing that had happened was that I had turned on the headlights so I turned them off and the temp went back to 185 the scanner showed a steady 185. So I now knew it was a false indication issue no an overheating issue so when I got home I crawled under the dash to see if I had a bad connection or bad ground but what I found was a board marked diode nodule with 4 wires tied together but only 2 of them were connected looking at the tabs on the board I could see that at one point it had 4 wires so I connected the missing 2 wires tested it and the headlights no longer changed the voltage or temp indication. No idea how the wires got disconnected but I am sure glad it was not a real over heating issue.
alounsbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2017, 10:12 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I recently noticed a similar problem that I haven't been able to isolate yet.
Used to run 204-210, recently it is running nearer the temp of the thermostat at about 185-190.
I noted that when it is charging near 13.5 -13.7 my temp is lower. Then, it will jump up and start charging at 14
5-14.7...then temp jumps up too.
I figure it must be a wire loose somewhere, just not sure where.
Last 400 mile trip it was acting normal.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Guys its the poor ground system on our Monaco built coaches, best way to fix this crummy gaude system is install a Silverleaf VMSpc system to get accurate gauge readings, but if you dont want to spend the cash you will have to work with the rat nest of wires behind the dash driver side on the Monaco.
When you loose a ground the temp gauge will read hi a lot of the time if you turn on your lights a poor ground will cause the temp to read hi.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:21 PM   #4

I found that a bad ground affects the fuel gauge reading. Same effect: turn on the headlights and the fuel reading changes, ever so slowly because the "meter" has a long time delay to smooth out the sloshing fuel when driving. In my case, I couldn't find a ground lug behind the dash, so I added a 12 ga. wire to the ground side of the fuel gauge. I later found that in my 2007 Knight, the ground lug is on the other side of the firewall. Find it. loosen it and clean the mating surfaces with emory cloth, and re-tighten it. That should help.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote