Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2018, 09:24 PM   #1

Odd Safari Caterpillar voltage pulsating video

So I just got this 96 safari Sahara with the cat 300. I noticed the lights flicker as does the rpm. When I’m driving I can still see the lights flicker when cruising. It goes with the engine rpm. Previous owner told me he had the alternator rebuilt but now I’m thinking they did a poor job. But at the same time it shouldn’t be effecting the rpm. Here’s a video. Thanks in advance just working out the bugs. I’m an electrician by trade. But this motor and chassis is new to me. It definitely seems like the rpm is going up and down a lot.

https://youtu.be/oF7JwMK-VeI
graphite9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2018, 06:15 AM   #2

Based on the sound of the engine, the rpm is not changing. That’s an electronic tachometer, and the voltage variation seen in the voltmeter is causing the tach to bounce. Could be alternator, voltage regulator, or some load rapidly switching on and off.

I’d start by disconnecting the alternator; if the voltage steadied then it’s down to the regulator or alternator.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:15 PM   #3

Agreed but I will add to be sure the alternator is properly bonded (grounded). Sometimes if they are not grounded well the voltage may spike up and down like that. If nothing else, you could use jumper cables to hook the alternator housing up to the chassis ground or battery ground just to test. That way your not having to dismantle anything...
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
Based on the sound of the engine, the rpm is not changing. That’s an electronic tachometer, and the voltage variation seen in the voltmeter is causing the tach to bounce. Could be alternator, voltage regulator, or some load rapidly switching on and off.

I’d start by disconnecting the alternator; if the voltage steadied then it’s down to the regulator or alternator.
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:18 AM   #4

Thanks guys! I’m going to go ahead and check it today!
graphite9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:52 AM   #5

You also bring up another point, in my old M11 Signature occasionally the tachometer would go to zero for a few seconds while driving and the alternator light would come on.
I spoke with Monaco about it (when they were still actually Monaco) and the tech rep mentioned that the RPM indicator was actually based off of the alternator output. He continued to say that if the house and or chassis batteries all got completely topped off such as from the generator or solar panels that the alternator could drop off line on occasion which produces the zero RPM and alt fail light.

I also found that when I turned the headlights on my fuel gauge would drop about one needle width and the temp gauge would increase about 1/2 needle width, no RPM changes.
That tells me that the gauges will reflect different indications from different voltage levels on the gauge buss instead of holding a constant based on actual measured levels. As I recall, my Signature gauges were AC powered and not DC.

I guess an over or under sensitive regulator would/could cause what the OP posted as well.
On my 05 the regulator is replaceable and mounted directly to the alternator.
I literally just installed new brushes in the alternator a couple of weeks ago and found the brushes mounted directly under the regulator. A whopping $1.25 per brush, whew!
Not sure if any of this helps
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post

RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat