Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2018, 07:43 PM   #1

Odor when using Pacbrake(Exhaust Brake)

Hello All,

I'm just wondering if anyone finds there to be an odour in your motorhome when using the Pacbrake.

We get an odour but it doesnt smell like diesel exhaust or hot brakes. It is more like a burnt rubber smell. Is that normal?

Irishguy
irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2018, 10:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishguy View Post
Hello All,

I'm just wondering if anyone finds there to be an odour in your motorhome when using the Pacbrake.

We get an odour but it doesnt smell like diesel exhaust or hot brakes. It is more like a burnt rubber smell. Is that normal?

Irishguy
I don't get any odor.
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:36 PM   #3

Darn, not an answer I was hoping for.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:38 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I would look in the close area around the Pac-Brake, make sure all the rubber hoses, lines are shielded and protected! May have had a wire tie break, and let a hose get too close! Nothing is the Pac-Brake itself that is rubber!
Let us know what you find? Rail!
Old 09-26-2018, 11:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
I would look in the close area around the Pac-Brake, make sure all the rubber hoses, lines are shielded and protected! May have had a wire tie break, and let a hose get too close! Nothing is the Pac-Brake itself that is rubber!
Let us know what you find? Rail!

I hadn't thought of that...I'm going to have a look. Does the pacbrake get really hot when in operation?
Old 09-27-2018, 12:01 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
I hadn't thought of that...I'm going to have a look. Does the pacbrake get really hot when in operation?
Heck yeah it does! It closes off your exhaust! I would not want anything rubber very close to it at all! Rail!
Old 09-27-2018, 04:16 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Hello All,

Irishguy
you need to immediately open the bedroom access to the engine and look for insulation, hoses, wires, or any material that might have fallen down on the exhaust brake or engine exhaust manifold. The temperature of the exhaust manifold and the exhaust brake will go up when the exhaust brake is applied.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
you need to immediately open the bedroom access to the engine and look for insulation, hoses, wires, or any material that might have fallen down on the exhaust brake or engine exhaust manifold. The temperature of the exhaust manifold and the exhaust brake will go up when the exhaust brake is applied.

Bob
Agree. Let us know what you find in there!
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:26 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Check the entire exhaust manifold closely, for "Black Soot" and crack's in the manifold........
Old 09-27-2018, 10:02 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I wonder if the seal around the bedroom engine access port is bad. No matter what's happening under there you should not be smelling it in the coach.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:37 PM   #11

Thank you all.

I decided to have the experts check it over so I took it to a local truck service centre that I have used before and I trust.

I hope it's not the exhaust manifold. It had a new one installed just 2.5 years ago by the previous owner as a condition of sale.

I will keep you posted.

Irishguy
Old 09-27-2018, 09:05 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The temperature of the exhaust manifold and the exhaust brake will go up when the exhaust brake is applied.

Bob
The engine is producing its least heat with the foot off the accelerator and the exhaust brake on. For the most part, no combustion is occuring. There is heat from compression, but that's nothing compared to wide open throttle and climbing. However, pressure before the exhaust brake goes up with the exhaust brake applied. I would look for a leak before the exhaust brake, look for the soot telltale. Look from the head to the exhaust brake for things that could produce that smell. Pressure downstream of the exhaust brake is negligible with the exhaust brake on.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:07 PM   #13

Quote:

Bob
If you take your foot off the throttle to activate the exhaust brake it cuts the fuel supply to the engine. Right?
So if that's the case how does the temperature increase?

Does your campfire get hotter if you pull the logs off? Just asking.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
The engine is producing its least heat with the foot off the accelerator and the exhaust brake on. For the most part, no combustion is occuring. There is heat from compression, but that's nothing compared to wide open throttle and climbing. However, pressure before the exhaust brake goes up with the exhaust brake applied. I would look for a leak before the exhaust brake, look for the soot telltale. Look from the head to the exhaust brake for things that could produce that smell. Pressure downstream of the exhaust brake is negligible with the exhaust brake on.
If there is a leak from the exhaust brake or the manifold wouldn't it smell like diesel exhaust? It is more of a burnt smell. It quickly dissipates as soon as the pacbrake deactivates. I have three carbon monoxide alarms in the coach and none have activated.

Tags
brake, exhaust, odor