Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #1

oil change for the 7.5 diesel generator

Just had my Generator serviced and was wondering if anyone has done it them selfs. It looks easy enough. Was woudering what kind of oil and what weight of oil to use next time. I have about 1,400 hours on the Generator runs strong still. Is that alot of hours??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The hours are not considered a lot for a well maintained generator. At the age, if it has not been done, it should have the coolant changed as well. Changing the oil and filter is not a problem depending on access to the filter, same with the coolant. Check your manual for oil and filters and if you do not have the manual, most of the manufacturers have them available on-line.

I could do it, but that total service is reasonable priced in most cases. It is best if you run the generator at at least 50% load for 1 hour once a month. Do not know if it is a Wives Tale but it is recommended by all the manufacturers.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:45 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
katoommaster.....It's actually very easy. The only difficult part is getting the drain bolt loose. It can be tight and usually dribbles on a cross member.. The original filter is always a little tight too, but that's not an issue on yours. The factory filter install is done by a 300 pound gorilla.

Use the same oil you're using in the engine, 15-40.

There is also a fuel filter under there. It has two fasteners that loosen and then a plate drops down and allows access to the filter. Two secrets for changing the filter. Have a plastic plug, like the graduated screw on end of a silicon tube available. Tie a rag around each wrist before you break the fuel line loose. When it's loose, shove the plastic cap in the end of the fuel line, plugging it. This will prevent you from making a mess with the dripping fuel and will stop it from running into your armpits.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:01 AM   #4

Don- are those fuel lines flexible so that you could pinch shut using a hose pincher? I've found these valuable for a making a variety of motorhome plumbing jobs less challenging.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:26 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
OMG E-Mike...Do I need to introduce you and Diplomat Don in QZ??? It could be a match made in heaven!!

oops...sorry

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Don- are those fuel lines flexible so that you could pinch shut using a hose pincher? I've found these valuable for a making a variety of motorhome plumbing jobs less challenging.
After filling my armpits with diesel a few times, I bought a hose pincher solely for use in changing the genset fuel filter.

Sometimes it takes me forever to get the lines reconnected to that thing.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:32 AM   #7

Thank you Don for the tips sound easy enough for me
Old 01-08-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
EngineerMike......They are steel lines......You need a tapered plug.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:16 PM   #9

How about the generator engine coolant what brand or type does every one use????
Old 01-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
And one more secret when changing the filter,that trap door that drops down,if you move it just right it will come completely off,now it's not in the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
katoommaster.....It's actually very easy. The only difficult part is getting the drain bolt loose. It can be tight and usually dribbles on a cross member.. The original filter is always a little tight too, but that's not an issue on yours. The factory filter install is done by a 300 pound gorilla.

Use the same oil you're using in the engine, 15-40.

There is also a fuel filter under there. It has two fasteners that loosen and then a plate drops down and allows access to the filter. Two secrets for changing the filter. Have a plastic plug, like the graduated screw on end of a silicon tube available. Tie a rag around each wrist before you break the fuel line loose. When it's loose, shove the plastic cap in the end of the fuel line, plugging it. This will prevent you from making a mess with the dripping fuel and will stop it from running into your armpits.
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:02 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Just serviced my gen

I just changed my oil, filter, fuel filter, air filter, and coolant in my 7.5 onan qd last week.

After a lot of research I sprung for the 50/50 premix they sell at cummins power south here in Orlando. (cummins dealer/service center)

it was 14 bucks a gallon (pricey)but you only need to change coolant every other year and it only takes one gallon.

Has all the additives etc that cummins recomends.

David

BTW, I think my arm pits smell better with a little diesel in em.

I do air and fuel filter every year, oil every 100-125 hours, oil filter every other oil change. ANY THOUGHTS?
DEG503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:06 PM   #12

Cummins recommends additives for the generator coolant?
Old 01-19-2010, 05:33 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
You are correct, not for the gen, but for my engine yes (m-11). I was changing the main coolant too and just bought one more gallon. But, the parts rep there, with whom I have built a good working relationship in which he has never steered me wrong(I've tried to prove him wrong before using this very forum and he always landed on the side of the smart guys here) advised me that I was VERY safe using the cummins premix. At the very least I can feel a little more confidant than using the distilled water from publix/albertons/walmart/kmart/big lots which may or may not be contaminated.

The last time I knew I really had distilled water was when I made it in Organic Chemistry lab and then ran it through the spectrometer.

However, if you know what the best coolant to use in a 7.5 onan/cummins qd is you should let us all know. I gaurantee I will use it next time, I like to listen to people that aren't in it for profit but in it for the love!

David
DEG503 is offline   Reply With Quote