Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2012, 04:44 AM   #1

Oil Changes

Just curious I guess. It's time for an oil change on our 2012 Knight with the MaxxForce 10 engine and I am wondering what are some of the places that people in the Central Florida area use for their oil changes ? The cheapest that I can find so far is $385.00 for the oil change and fuel filter change. This is at the IH dealer. LazyDays and Camping World are quite a lot more expensive that that. Our coach now has 10,000 miles on it so I think it is ready for an oil change. I asked the IH dealer in Nova Scotia if they thought that it needed to be changed while I was there but they told me there should be no reason on a Motor Home to do it before 10,000 miles or 1 year. How does the price that I have been quoted compare with what other owners are paying ? Thanks ......Alan
hpykmpr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2012, 06:12 AM   #2

International dealer in NC quoted me $250 for oil change and fuel filters. Considering it takes 30 quarts of oil I did not think that was too bad. The dealer stated that it would be better to have the first oil change done a little earlier than the others just for break in etc. Mine has about 6000 miles now and intend to get it done soon considering it is a 2012 and I am sure has never been done. He also stated they have seen very few problems with the Maxxforce 10 engine and if something does go wrong, it is usually electronic.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Central FL is pretty big... better idea??

Petro at Exit 368 on I75
http://www.petrotruckstops.com/fleet_service_menu.sstg

Sheffields Trucker Service At Exit 358 on I 75
about the same prices.

Both will do motorhomes not requiring entry into the rig. The PM price is for 40 quart engines, Petro will usually drop price a little or do second fuel filter. Sheffield would not lower price last time, so I went up to Petro. Both clean shops.

If you wait until you head north Speedco at the boerder is about 150 for medium chassis.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
385.00 is not too bad. We live in the panhandle of Fl and use a truck repair, service. Cummins 450 ISL also uses 30 qts. We paid $300.00 for oil and filter. So you might check this type of service as they buy oil by the bulk and carry the newer CJ-4 oils. Cummins folks also recommended a change at 5 K or one year as preventative maintenance. Most post on the forum all agree, every year.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1979 View Post
He also stated they have seen very few problems with the Maxxforce 10 engine and if something does go wrong, it is usually electronic.
Have to say that pretty much is what my searching on the MaxxForce 10 has revealed that they've been doing really good.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #6

Are you sure about the oil change recommendation of every 5k miles. That sounds like severe or harsh duty. My Detroit recommendation is every 15k for a MH and I have had my oil analyzed and next time I am trying 20k. Heavy duty truck recommendation for my motor is 25k miles. I don't think you are going to wear these diesel motors out in 150k miles.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
385.00 is not too bad. We live in the panhandle of Fl and use a truck repair, service. Cummins 450 ISL also uses 30 qts. We paid $300.00 for oil and filter. So you might check this type of service as they buy oil by the bulk and carry the newer CJ-4 oils. Cummins folks also recommended a change at 5 K or one year as preventative maintenance. Most post on the forum all agree, every year.
I do my own and the cost is around $120 total for our ISC. The ISL takes a few more qt's of oil, so add a few $$ to that.
Cummins themselves say the ISL oil change interval is 20,000 miles or yearly, which ever comes first.
Quote:
And with 20,000-mile (32,000 km) oil change intervals, the ISL makes your maintenance budget go farther.
I just did a yearly oil analysis on our ISC, it came back with a clean bill of health and to run it another 5,000 miles and check it again.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
WOW, sure glad I live in Utah. full service 185. @ Freightliner
sgtjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #9

once a year is pure Bunk.A ISL can go 20K.U have to be nuts or extremely rich to be changing oil every year even if u only go 4 or 5 K
rvrepairnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #10

A lot depends on how many oil filters and how many gallons of oil. Shell 15W-40 varies from $13 to $17 a gallon. My motor has two oil filters and takes 10 gallons of oil so mine would be high. Another thing is if you are getting the generator oil changed at the same time.

I would also like to know about the every year bunk. Does that motor or that oil know when a year has gone by? If it is run on a regular basis so the oil is heated enough to burn of any mositure then it is OK. That kind of time requirement is just a liability trick by the manufacture
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
find a speedco.They do full service including fuel filter for 169.00
CJ-4 oil has been out for years and is industry standard these days
rvrepairnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Where are you in central FL?
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrepairnut View Post
find a speedco.They do full service including fuel filter for 169.00
We always use Speedco but unfortunately they are not in Florida. The $169 does not include environmental charges, taxes, "special" fuel filters (according to Speedco's standard) and any fluid top-ups that you may need. Our total bill seems to be around $225 before we are out the door. Still way cheaper than what you have been quoted.

Make sure to invite yourself into the grease pit at Speedco and check that all zerks have been lubricated. In our experience they will generally miss greasing around 20% of them when they say they are all done. Only Speedco in Kingman Arizona got all of ours without missing any.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1979 View Post
International dealer in NC quoted me $250 for oil change and fuel filters. Considering it takes 30 quarts of oil I did not think that was too bad. The dealer stated that it would be better to have the first oil change done a little earlier than the others just for break in etc. Mine has about 6000 miles now and intend to get it done soon considering it is a 2012 and I am sure has never been done. He also stated they have seen very few problems with the Maxxforce 10 engine and if something does go wrong, it is usually electronic.
Thanks for the reply.I have been told by 2 different people now ,one a tech from Monaco on the phone and one a service manager at a n IH dealer that a break in period was not necessary. They both told me that the engines were ran for an extended period of time , I forget the actual hours, before leaving the factory and this was all the break-in they needed. They both told me the owners should go right to the regular oil change as stated in their owners manual. This is where the problem is for me both the manuals for the engine and the transmission I find very confusing and difficult to find the actual mileage requirements for oil and filter changes......Alan
hpykmpr47 is offline   Reply With Quote