RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2020, 11:15 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Oil drain plug

So on one our last trips we must have went over or down a curb that was to high and caused the oil pan drain plug to get ground off by the road. It did not damage the tank but cause a slow oil leek about 2 gal over 1400 miles.

Has anyone else had this issue and how do you keep that low spot from being the low spot.

The only recommendation the shop gave was to weld a skid plate over the area.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2020, 11:23 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Not unusual, but most times if the ride height is set correctly the rear trailer hitch hits first.
If you see a dip or an area where you might bottom out, stop for a few seconds and put the air ride in manual mode (press Air once) and raise the chassis until you get over the bump. Then place it back in Travel mode when you are clear.

You need to get the old drain plug out and install a new one and hope it doesn't leak. If you do not want to drain all the oil, connect a shop vac to the oil filler hole to crate a vacuum before removing the plug.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:10 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We had the plug replace with an oil change already. Also I do not have a way to manually raise my ride night with air.

Air dump moves my coach down but the chassis including the engine stay at the same hight. I believe but I will have to look and test that.

I have hydraulic levelers.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:52 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biljol View Post
So on one our last trips we must have went over or down a curb that was to high and caused the oil pan drain plug to get ground off by the road.
Has anyone else had this issue and how do you keep that low spot from being the low spot..
Previous owner put a steel wheel on the trailer hitch similar to this https://ultra-fab.com/product/ultra-...bdw-x-3d-1-pk/ It gets a lot of use. Like Vito said, you may be able to stop and raise the coach but sometimes it's a surprise in heavy traffic.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:52 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
You are lucky that you didn't loose your engine.

I added 2 steel rollers to the back of my coach because my trailer hitch was dragging pulling into our old driveway. This was to protect the hitch, not the oil pan.

Now that you know you may have a problem you need to be extra careful in situations where you may drag.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:53 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe need to place a camera there
Old 02-12-2020, 10:24 AM   #7

This was a warning to be extra careful when entering or exiting .
Maybe choose another spot to approach and don't drive over curbs
Curbs may damage your tires .

I saw a coach that tried to exit a place that had a low area just before
entering the road . His rear wheels were suspended in air so he could not
move with the front of the coach out in the road blocking a lane .
I thought poor guy , what a night mare to find ones self in .
Traffic piled up , horns honking and hoards of spectators .

Ray
RamiDav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:47 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
High centered that not good and can really damage a coach.

He may have had a claim against who ever owned the location there very strict regulations regarding ingress and egress for ada compliance.

One of our customers at my work was required to reslope there driveways because of this.

In my case I think the issue was on a public street turning into a residential area in big bear ca. and my coach dose not meet the standard ride hight when on a incline or decline. At lest not the far back.

So I am guessing I need a welder to place a skid plate that can be removed when needed. Cheep insurance because no oil is expensive.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:12 AM   #9

You need to get the old drain plug out and install a new one and hope it doesn't leak. If you do not want to drain all the oil, connect a shop vac to the oil filler hole to crate a vacuum before removing the plug.[/QUOTE]

Does that really work? I'm picturing my shopvac sucking the oil out, especially when the plug is removed. I'm guessing I'd have a huge mess and would be better off leaving the filler cap on and just removing and replacing the plug with a new one quickly.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:46 AM   #10

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
If the drain plug is truly shaved off then it would be necessary to drill a small hole into the plug and use an extraction tool. The tool is either square with raised edges to bit into the plug or a spiral shape with ridges that bit into the metal and tighten as it is turned to remove the plug. Just don't drill too deep into the plug that you have oil leaking from the hole. It's not bad if it does but really about making a mess.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:47 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
It was shaved off just enough to create a crescent on one side. They were able to remove normally.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:09 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
So saw another thread about spare tires wonder is I can find a way to put an unmourned tire in the area to protect the plug.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:44 AM   #13

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biljol View Post
So saw another thread about spare tires wonder is I can find a way to put an unmourned tire in the area to protect the plug.

If your rig drags enough to shave off the drain plug I could imagine what it would do to your spare tire. Think: Not there when you need it most after being dragged and flat.
Perhaps you can get skid plate or different type of plug that is flushed (Allen wrench style)?
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote