Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2007, 05:43 PM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MonacoMama:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Not only that, but after they did the fuel-filter replacements it took almost 2 hours for them to get it going again </div></BLOCKQUOTE><span class="ev_code_BLUE">The trick to this is to fill the fuel filter before putting it on and then cycling the key on and off three times - waiting about a minute for the fuel pump to cycle through each time.</span>

Cummins does not recommend this procedure due to too high a chance, during transfer of fuel to multiple containers of getting some sediment into fuel system, which is very sensitive to even micron size particles. The system should prime as described.

Understand that I am speaking from the supervisory position after watching Sacs do this!

PS<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> the secondary filter was near the jack-pump (at least on my '06). </div></BLOCKQUOTE><span class="ev_code_BLUE">THis is located back by the oil dipstick area on the 2007 models!</span> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2007, 06:25 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Cummins does not recommend this procedure due to too high a chance, during transfer of fuel to multiple containers of getting some sediment into fuel system, which is very sensitive to even micron size particles. The system should prime as described. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
hmmm...It was a Cummins dealer who told us to do it that way...

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:03 PM   #17

Hello everyone,
Well, as luck would have it, and as the timing of this group is impeccable when it comes to new info, I am doing both my fuel filters today.
I tried searching all over the net for information on the proper procedure for doing the primary and secondary filters and came up rather short until I happened on the following link:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid...gotomsg/18251791.cfm
I have decided to go with filling the primary filter with fuel and then leaving the secondary empty and using the key on/off procedure to fill that one. It all seems to make sense to me because even if the cat happens to fall into the primary filter, the secondary one will keep her outta the injectors. To take things one step farther, I will change the primary filter first, then restart the engine, and then change out the secondary after its cleaned any gunk out from the first filter change. No sense fouling the new secondary filter with anything from the primary filter change. And as Ron noted, I may even have a nap under there while in between filter changes.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:00 PM   #18

O.K. did that!
Everything went exactly as planned. Did the primary and filled with diesel. Started engine, all O.K.
Changed the secondary, did the prime cycle, 3 times, and then opened the drain on the filter and sure enuf, diesel under pressure. Did the prime one more time and started the coach.
Worked like a charm.
I did also take the compressor to the top of both filter housings before taking off the old filters just to make certain nothing fell into the new filters if my hand got a little shakey.
Lots of dust and dirt on both. And the hand was as solid as Hoover Dam.
Now every filter on the coach is brand new, and the kids will have to do with second hand clothes after I'm gone.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:25 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
That is the exact procedure the local Peterbilt used and it cranked immediately. They laughed their rear ends off about Cummins procedure. They said they would do it that way if I was willing to pay the $80 per hr shop time. They let the primary fuel filter prime the secondary and said they have zero problems with that procedure. On our '06 Endeavor the secondary fuel filter is behind the rear curb side tail light by the power sterring pump. Went down bunny trails with Monaco 3 times before I found it in a different location. I had them put a Futoma (sp) but after watching how messy the procedure is and how prone to making even the simplest task a nightmare I don't think I want to attempt an oil change. They only charged me $240 of oil, filter, pri and sec fuel filters, lube, sca test and differential check and even used all cummins filters. It's not worth the $50 I might save and by the time I'm through I would have spent $50 on cat litter.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:29 PM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mama, unless your 07 is different from my 05 ISL, I didn't have to take the rock guard off. If you practice with the new filter (still in the wrapper) you can find a way to move it toward the street side and snake it out without spilling it's contents.

Did you change the Air Dryer filter and catch the lube fittings on the steering wheel shaft?

Friendly reminders....Also it's good to never open the air filter canister unless you're going to replace it. Never blow the air filter out with compressed air!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:35 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Mama, unless your 07 is different from my 05 ISL, I didn't have to take the rock guard off. If you practice with the new filter (still in the wrapper) you can find a way to move it toward the street side and snake it out without spilling it's contents.

Did you change the Air Dryer filter and catch the lube fittings on the steering wheel shaft? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>LOL....Do you think I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!!
I may sound Like I know what I am saying and can remember it .. but heck DD... I understand when I am told - but until I have to do it ... it doesn't matter!! I will ask Sacs tomorrow afternoon when we meet up at the campground- cuz I will not remember to ask him when I wake him in about 4.5 hours!

...but thanks for the reminder ...I will defintely ask!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote