Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
OK a stupid HR question I think

I feel pretty stupid BUT I would like to know what engine I have in my 1996 HR Navigator. It says 400 HP on the side. I think it is a "w".
I have seen so many post with regard to ISL,ISX,ISM and I have also seen 8.1,8.9,10.1 Liter. I would like to know as much as possible about our coach. Is there a way to be sure what we have.
Thanks for the help!
Kind Regards
Stephen S.
1996 HR Navigator
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spearguy View Post
I feel pretty stupid BUT I would like to know what engine I have in my 1996 HR Navigator. It says 400 HP on the side. I think it is a "w".
I have seen so many post with regard to ISL,ISX,ISM and I have also seen 8.1,8.9,10.1 Liter. I would like to know as much as possible about our coach. Is there a way to be sure what we have.
Thanks for the help!
Kind Regards
Stephen S.
1996 HR Navigator
Best way to find out is to get the serial number offf the engine then call or go on line to Cummins and ask them.
Ron
Old 02-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Get a flashlite, mirror and some simple green. Sometimes I'll use my iPhone to snap a photo of a difficult to see item.

https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/..._esn_tip.print

ISM:

The dataplate is located on the fuel pump side of the engine, on the rocker housing. The following information is shown on the dataplate:
  • Engine Serial Number (ESN)
  • Critical Parts List (CPL)
  • Model
  • Horsepower and RPM rating
  • Emission statement (if applicable)
ISX:

The engine dataplate, located on top of the rocker lever cover, provides the model identification and other important data about the engine.
  • Model
  • Advertised horsepower and RPM
ISB:
The dataplate is typically located on the engine rocker cover, but may be located on the side of the gear housing. The engine serial number and CPL provide data for ordering parts and service. NOTE: ISB engines are produced worldwide. The data plates used on engines may differ in appearance and location of information.
NOTE: If the engine dataplate is not readable, the engine serial number can be identified on the engine block on top of the lubricating oil cooler housing. Additional engine information is available by reading the ECM dataplate.
ISC and ISL:

The dataplate is located on the top side of the gear housing. It includes the following engine data:
  • Model
  • Horsepower and RPM rating
If the engine dataplate is not readable, the ESN can be found on the engine block on top of the lubricating oil cooler housing. Additional engine information is on the electronic control module (ECM) dataplate.
BPOE #2504
Bobs911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bobs911,

Thank you very much that will get be started on where to look. I really appreciate your response.

Regards
Stephen S.
'96 HR Navigator
Old 02-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #5

In 1996 the Navigator was offered with two different engines. The underpowered 300hp 8.3 liter Cummins and the better 10.8 liter 400 hp M11-400E Cummins engine which made 400 HP and 1450 ft lbs of torque. The 1996 M11-400E has the serial number plate located on the curb side about halfway down just under the valve cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M11-400E.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	33030   Click image for larger version

Name:	M11-400E Plate.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	33031  

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hello Mike,

M-11 is exactly what we have! Thank you very much!! I will try to find the plate with the info for the serial number. So it is a 10.8 liter. Do you,by chance, know if the ISL or ISM or ISB apply to our engine.

You have been so helpful! This will help be moving forward. In my opinion I need to learn as much as I can with regard to our RV. It is not always easy finding stuff for the 1996 year model.

Regards
Stephen S.
'96 HR Nav.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spearguy View Post
Do you,by chance, know if the ISL or ISM or ISB apply to our engine.
Cummins IS nomenclature identifies Interact System engines. These engines are electronically controlled (the Interact System). Your M11 is a pre-IS engine.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #8

The M-11 was derived from the L-10 and later became the ISM-500. I believe yours maybe the M-11 CELECT which meant it had electronic fuel injection. Then the M-11 CELECT was upgraded to have the Interact System (hence the "IS" in ISM). So the M-11 is really the early ISM motor which is a absolutely great motor.

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thank you for the replies! This really helps.

Regards
Stephen S.