Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #1

Okay Guys! How - reattach nitrogen strut

Rear compartment/engine access opening.

It has two arms on each side, with one Nitrogen cylinder each side to assist in taking the weight off when opening the door up. The entire hatch swings upward.

I had the passenger side cantilever arm break a bolt and attached to this arm is the Nitrogen cylinder.

Now - I replaced the broken bolt and that is secured, however replacing that Nitrogen cylinder is another story.

Just spent an hour trying my best to force it back into place where it snaps back onto a little ball. No way. Simply put - I am not man enough to do it.

Has anyone here had that problem? Ever had to replace one of these things?

The door just will not swing up far enough to allow the cylinder to just snap back on ---- lacks about 5 inches and that sucker is strong.

Thoughts???

God Bless

Sorry - on edit I forgot to add the coach is a 2001 Dynasty...

Bill
Sepisllib is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #2

Inside the end of the nitro strut is a spring clip that actually is what will snap around your little ball mount. opposite the opening( backside of strut) there should be an opening of some type to insert a screwdriver and pry the spring clip out a little. that will take some ot the tension off of it to let it snap over ball mount easier. once on, then snap spring clip back in place. some struts have a plastic cap on the back side that will pry out and accomplish the same effect
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabitatGuy View Post
Inside the end of the nitro strut is a spring clip that actually is what will snap around your little ball mount. opposite the opening( backside of strut) there should be an opening of some type to insert a screwdriver and pry the spring clip out a little. that will take some ot the tension off of it to let it snap over ball mount easier. once on, then snap spring clip back in place. some struts have a plastic cap on the back side that will pry out and accomplish the same effect
Yes - know that and used that method to remove the strut.

The problem is ------ reattaching the strut!!!

I can snap one end back into place and secure the spring clip. Then the huge task of pulling the other end far enough it will snap back onto the little ball -------- so far I am not man enough and do not have the ability to compress the strut far enough to get it on.

On most doors one can open the door far enough to allow this to occur - but not this door. The travel is limited and the only alternative I can see is to force the strut closed about 5 inches......

God Bless

Bill
Old 07-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepisllib

Yes - know that and used that method to remove the strut.

The problem is ------ reattaching the strut!!!

I can snap one end back into place and secure the spring clip. Then the huge task of pulling the other end far enough it will snap back onto the little ball -------- so far I am not man enough and do not have the ability to compress the strut far enough to get it on.

On most doors one can open the door far enough to allow this to occur - but not this door. The travel is limited and the only alternative I can see is to force the strut closed about 5 inches......

God Bless

Bill
Sorry. Mis-understood your question .
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think the strut is to long to start with and that is why it broke the bolt.
Either you have to get a shorter strut or relocate the ball/bracket.
Hope this helps.

Sonny.
Sonnydale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #6

Are you sure that you got the right replacement? Seem to me the door should open far enough to take put the new strut on. As you describe it, there will be a lot of tension even when open. IMO the strut should reach the end of it's travel before the door does, otherwise you will have a lot of pressure on your door hardware.
Rbhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #7

Hmmmmmmm.

Interesting input and thoughts, however the strut in question is the "original" one with the coach - new in 2001. So it is 11 years of age now.

On the bolt in question, yes - there is an awful lot of pressure on that thing, but from what I see it should be up to the task. The left side is fine, strut and all.

I am, apparently, not smart enough to see a way to make this happen easily. If I had some way to force the strut to compress just 5 inches, I could snap it back into place. Or, if I had a way to raise the compartment door another 8 or 10 inches it would allow the strut to pass by that point also - but that isn't going to happen for couple reasons 1 being the ladder on passenger side prohibits any further opening, and 2 the way it is hinged may not allow that either.

The Mfg must have had "some" way of doing this, anyone??

Anyone out there with the Monaco Dynasty, especially 2001 - 2004 would understand my plight.

God Bless

Bill
Old 07-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepisllib View Post
Hmmmmmmm.

If I had some way to force the strut to compress just 5 inches, I could snap it back into place. Or, if I had a way to raise the compartment door another 8 or 10 inches it would allow the strut to pass by that point also - but that isn't going to happen for couple reasons 1 being the ladder on passenger side prohibits any further opening, and 2 the way it is hinged may not allow that either.

The Mfg must have had "some" way of doing this, anyone??

Anyone out there with the Monaco Dynasty, especially 2001 - 2004 would understand my plight.

God Bless

Bill
Manufacturer may have installed the ladder after the door was mounted. If you can remount the lower pivot to get the door off the ladder contact then lower the other side also would be my suggestion. Couple of pictures would help also so we are really understanding the situation correctly.
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Is the strut locked in the open position somehow? I've had them bind when fully extended and they seem to lock themselves in the extended position.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Try using a ratcheting web strap to collapse the strut. Install and remove strap.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #11

I've had to do this a few times, you probably need some help. Find the biggest meanest guy you can find and offer him a beer or two if he can compress the strut enough to get it on. If I was there I would do it for one beer, but only a cold one. Yes they are quite hard to compress but it's the only way I know of to get it into place.
larry koenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What is the pound rating on the strut? Even a 20 / 30 pounder can be awkward in a tight place, be interesting what you are dealing with.
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
What is the pound rating on the strut? Even a 20 / 30 pounder can be awkward in a tight place, be interesting what you are dealing with.
I have no idea of the rating on this thing.

Anyone know???

All I know is I used a 4ft 2x4 in attempt to pry it and moved it only about an inch.

God Bless

Bill
Old 07-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #14

You may have gotten a faulty strut. If you cannot move it using a 2x4, how do expect to move it using a storage door?
Rbhein is offline   Reply With Quote