Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Old TV replacement

Well this past summer we moved up to a new to us used 2000 HR Endeavor...nice unit but the front TV was so old and picture was poor...after a few years of Flat Screen High Def pictures we needed a change..

I have removed the existing one and have some ideas I thought I would share..

Going to install a 24 " LG Flat Screen. We are going to mount it to 1/2 " plywood and use a piano style hinge on the drivers side of the opening. Will mount the TV right to the board with the cut out for power and cable into the wood to allow a tight fit. Will cover the wood with black leather....With all the room we are going to install a small secure safe behind this area for cash, credit cars and my Pistol which I have a permit to carry...

Going to install a insert on the lower section of the board to allow it to be screwed to the steel support behind...

Any ideas on this ?

old one must have weighed 40 lbs or more..new one is 7.5 lbs...will make the dash much lighter..

Also going to install a 20 inch x 4 inch black plexiglass piece on top to allow my GPS and TPS units to mount...am installing 12 volt plugs one on each side of the opening to allow easy power options..

Anyone do something like this?

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	32289  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #2

I removed the 50 lb tube TV in my Discovery and replaced it with a 32" flatscreen. I also converted the area behind it into a storage area for DVDs and manuals. I did the same with the rear TV. Although mine was not by the dash but near the ceiling.
I'd show some pictures but a week ago someone broke out my window and stole the TVs and tore up the mounting areas.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauto5150 View Post
I removed the 50 lb tube TV in my Discovery and replaced it with a 32" flatscreen. I also converted the area behind it into a storage area for DVDs and manuals. I did the same with the rear TV. Although mine was not by the dash but near the ceiling.
I'd show some pictures but a week ago someone broke out my window and stole the TVs and tore up the mounting areas.
wow..sorry to hear of the damage and theft...I am blessed with a secure lot...with Barb Wire, cameras and lights..
Old 01-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Also been doing some research on replacing my old Tube TV on a Monaco...I have more room than you, but may be this will help. Found a great 32" LED at COSTCO in Virginia. A Hitachi LE32S406 for $280. It's 17.5Hx29.5Wx.5D, weighs about 8lbs. Good Luck Paul
Old 01-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #5

I did a similar install with my Newmar

I added a shelf inside the existing opening for storage"

then added a nice thick plywood door with heavy duty hinges, to which I attached the mounting bracket for the TV.

Here's the finished product.

I don't travel with the TV there though, it only takes a couple of seconds to lift the TV from the bracket, I then stow the TV in the bedroom. Works for me. I could probably drive with the TV there, the set up is certainly strong enough, but I know me, if it can go wrong, it will. LOL

Kaye
Afubar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
plse keep me posted i have a 97 holiday i need to do that to would love to see the end result
Old 01-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Great looking job!! I am getting to do this on my 02 Windsor. Did you get rid of the old KVH dome antenna for a newer one with HD capability or were you able to use (and be satisfied with) the old one? Thanks, Mike
uffdaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #8

TV replacement

I have a 2006 Monaco Diplomat. The TV in the overhead in the front of the coach a 25" was an older flat screen set that came new with the coach. It finally bit the dust last year. I searched for another TV flat screen model that would fit. I found a 32" Sony model that fits the exact opening (height wise) as the original set. It was much lighter weighing in at abound 8 pounds. I used the same mounting hardware to attach to the back of the new Sony with some slight modification. The framework (I call it a picture frame) around the face of the TV had to be replaced with a larger opening as to the top and bottom but slightly narrower as to both sides. The wood in my coach is light maple. I contacted a hardwood dealer and found that is is a "Western Maple" that comes from Oregon. I bought enough wood to do the project (framework and bottom board under TV). One problem that I ran into was the speakers on the new Sony points downward as opposed to the speakers on the old set that were on the face of the set. Therefore, I had to cut speaker holes in the new 1"x6" board underneath the set. I ordered speaker grill material and cut the material to fit the new hole cut outs in the bottom board. I purchased leather ribbing and finished the grillwork around the raw grill perimeters. I then relocated the courtsey lights to the rear of the bottom board towards the windshield. The wood was an exact match I gave the new wood 3 coats of clear lacquer. The new TV looks like it came with the coach and is a perfect match. What is nice too is we have a larger screen. If anyone needs any further details please contact me.
Dean B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Old TV replacement

Dean; Sounds like a great idea. What was the model of your Sony TV? Did you replace the satellite antenna? I have the old in motion KVH King Dome which is not compatible with the new KA band or HDTV. It looks like the Winegard SK3005 roof mount is a good upgrade. Thanks, Mike
Old 01-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #10

We have an older tube type tv that has to go. Our issue is the Direct TV Genie is n the front so chanel changing is tough. What cable has to run from the direct tv box in the front to the rear? i was thinking I could just slip the box in or put on the side with out alot of fuss. Do not want to run a whole bunch of cable from front to back if I do not have to!!!
guymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by uffdaracer View Post
Dean; Sounds like a great idea. What was the model of your Sony TV? Did you replace the satellite antenna? I have the old in motion KVH King Dome which is not compatible with the new KA band or HDTV. It looks like the Winegard SK3005 roof mount is a good upgrade. Thanks, Mike

Mike, thanks for your interest. The Sony I installed is a Sony Bravia model #KDL-32EX340. The dimensions are 29 3/4W x 18 5/8H x 2 7/8D. I purchased it at Walmart, however, you can find it at Best Buy and other retail stores. I'm very pleased with the TV and the installation I did. The Satalite I had installed is a Winegard 1000 HD model. It is not an in motion unit which I was not interested in. It works great, just pust a button and the set finds the signal and within a few minutes your watching TV. I purchased it at Camping World. They had it on sale (about this time of the year two years ago) for around 1200.00 installed. Great unit. If you should need any further infomation let me know.
Dean B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Just finished installation of Samsung 46 in my Dynasty. Was perfect size to cover old opening. Sticks out about 1 inch. Makes it flush with cabinet doors on each side. Picture is great.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I have a receiver in the rear as well so I can watch ESPN while my wife watches dancing with the stars. No wiring changes were necessary.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #14

This is what I didClick image for larger version

Name:	Monaco 32 LCD TV install 002.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	3278732"LCD

Click image for larger version

Name:	Monaco 32 LCD TV install 003.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	289.4 KB
ID:	32788Storage where old tv was.