Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2019, 05:22 AM   #1

Older Monaco Construction Question

Folks just looking for a couple of answers regarding the sidewall/roof construction of older Monaco coaches. I'm looking at a coach that has some wall delamination and just wondering what I'm looking at in terms of work.

I currently have an older Newmar which was very easy to repair as I was not as concerned with the structural integrity as it uses a hung wall construction.

How does this compare with a '92 Monaco Dynasty?
Dean McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2019, 07:35 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I think you will find delamination on nearly all coaches that old. My coach has delamination in several spots along both sides, but it hasn’t been a problem. I had it inspected twice and was told not to be concerned. Looking at the coach, you can’t tell. Only when you apply pressure to the wall, do you notice it gives a little.

If a 1992 year coach doesn’t show problems from wall delamination, it likely never will as long as you continue to maintain roof and wall caulking.

However, I would use the delamination to negotiate a very good purchase price.

Fixing it is likely difficult and expensive.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:39 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry but I have no knowledge of that.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pduggs View Post
I think you will find delamination on nearly all coaches that old. My coach has delamination in several spots along both sides, but it hasn’t been a problem. I had it inspected twice and was told not to be concerned. Looking at the coach, you can’t tell. Only when you apply pressure to the wall, do you notice it gives a little.

If a 1992 year coach doesn’t show problems from wall delamination, it likely never will as long as you continue to maintain roof and wall caulking.

However, I would use the delamination to negotiate a very good purchase price.

Fixing it is likely difficult and expensive.
This is more severe damage that would require some sort of repair. If it uses hung wall than it's doable but if it's pinch rolled or vacubonded it's more work than it's worth.

Just wondering if some has specific knowledge of this coach as I'm pretty sure Monaco has used both methods at different times.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:32 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Early Monaco's were built with the Semi-Monocoque construction! All steel square bridge like construction up till 2002 I believe! Then they went to aluminum above the floor! The delamination in one of the early Dynasty with the one piece fiberglass roofs would have to have been a leak at the seams or the windows!!
No hung walls here! You could take the walls and the roof off right down to the framework, and still drive this coach down the road!
Google Roadmaster chassis and look at the video's, and you will see what I am talking about!
The Dynasty model was a very well built coach! They went to a wide body in 96 I believe! Good luck, and pass if the delamination is too bad or just bothers you! Plenty of older Monaco's out there that have been taken care of!
Rail!
Old 09-26-2019, 07:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Early Monaco's were built with the Semi-Monocoque construction! All steel square bridge like construction up till 2002 I believe! Then they went to aluminum above the floor! The delamination in one of the early Dynasty with the one piece fiberglass roofs would have to have been a leak at the seams or the windows!!
No hung walls here! You could take the walls and the roof off right down to the framework, and still drive this coach down the road!
Google Roadmaster chassis and look at the video's, and you will see what I am talking about!
The Dynasty model was a very well built coach! They went to a wide body in 96 I believe! Good luck, and pass if the delamination is too bad or just bothers you! Plenty of older Monaco's out there that have been taken care of!
Rail!
Thanks guardrail. Very helpful.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:32 AM   #7

I slid against a tree in my yard knocking out the glass in the dinette window. While replacing the window, I injected some epoxy around it, made up some clamps with all thred rod and 2 x 4. Fixed up the delam around it. There is a little delam around all the windows, so I will eventually do all of them 1999 HR Endeavor.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:29 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We saw a mid 2000's Dynasty in Mesa AZ last year. It had delamination on the passenger side towards the rear. They were able to repair it. They injected epoxy in several places and used a fixture between a brick wall and the the side of the coach to apply pressure. It looked good when done.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco