Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2017, 10:15 AM   #1

On side of hwy. No power

05 nanavigator dd.series 60 lost all power. Engine a gen shut down. Breaker by big boy is tripped. Big boy is hot? Don't know what to do. Waiting on road service. Don't know of they are capiable or not. Any advice? Can call if you like. Rick.352 895 3414
Showman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2017, 12:20 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If the engine and the generator don't work, I'd suspect bad fuel. If the engine and generator are off, I'm not sure why the 'Big boy' solenoid would be hot, it only comes into play when a charging voltage is present and when the boost switch on the dashboard is held down.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:44 PM   #3

Not fuel. Everything dead at dash. Have house electric. No ignition. Flashers
Old 10-02-2017, 12:53 PM   #4

What's the engine battery voltage?
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:55 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
If you have a battery disconnect solenoid for the chassis, I'd check for 12v on both large terminals on the solenoid. If one side doesn't show 12v, take the wire off one larger terminal and connect it to the other large terminal. This will bypass the solenoid and should allow chassis battery power through to the rest of the chassis.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:26 PM   #6

Having it towed to Williams in Atlanta.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:07 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Had a similar issue a couple of years ago. The cause of my power failure was the main cutoff switch for the chassis (rear electrical compartment near the batteries). it basically fell apart internally. It looked ok from the outside of the switch. I bolted the two wire leads together until I get a replacement switch from Amazon.
cpr_vbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:23 PM   #8
YC1

It sounds like an easy fix. Loss of battery power and may be the switch mentioned.

The Big Boy running rather hot is not a concern. On some units the big boy can burn your fingers.

The switch mentioned normally would not be a serious issue with the engine already running because that big boy should be combining those circuits which would substitute the power missing from the engine batteries.

HOWEVER, if the Big Boy is bad, as often is the case you would NOT have the combining thus loose the coach batteries as the backup.

Even though the Big Boy is hot does not mean the contacts inside are functioning as designed. You can get hours of fun reading by putting the key word Big Boy in the little google search area at the top of this forum. It will sort things for you to eliminate a lot of garbage.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:05 PM   #9

I had the same thing with the very same engine series 60 detroit. Running fine then just quit and dead on the side of the road. Wire from the batteries to the ECM became disonnected from batteries and the loss of power 12.8 volts was the problem. Reconnected the wire and was able to get back on the road.
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:56 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Rick,
Sorry for your trouble. Were you able to sort out what the issue was?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:53 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like the battery disconnect switch or battery lines loose.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:29 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
When I had my 04 Navigator I had it go dead on me. I drill every it into a service bay for an oil change and it sat there for 4 days. After the oil change the service shop went to start it and nothing. The problem was one of the switches in the rear engine compartment was in an open state and not allowing voltage. It took the shop 3 days to diagnose this, thank filly they were fair on the bill.

Best of luck,

2-Nickels
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:37 PM   #13

Showman1 - don't forget to post what you learn.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:03 PM   #14

Finally home from the trip. Wanted to let everyone know what happened. WW Williams found battery cables to the generator were shorted out on the frame. And the 150 amp. Breaker in the rear run box was burned out. Once it was fixed i continued with my trip with no problems. 2500 miles and two weeks in the coach. It took 3 day in the shop. One whole day to find the short. And then they had to order a breaker. Their bill was $2000. Road side mechanic was there for 5 hours and accomplished nothing.. That cost $500. The tow cost $1500. I think the insurance co.will cover the tow,the did on my old coach a few years ago.
So overall it was aggravating but I survived. I still love driving and staying in the coach,this is part of the adventure. Like they say. It could of been worse.. Thanks to everyone for there help..

Tags
power