Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2019, 04:43 PM   #1

Onan 7500 Shutting off

So my new to me 02 Windsor has sat idle and plugged in for 4 weeks or so. Decided to start the engine and gen to exercise. The 7500 has been shutting down. It will restart but struggles as if no fuel. Once refired it will run fine 10-15 minutes. I've checked the oil level and it's good. I'm assuming I'm having a fuel pump or filter issue, but not sure. It dies all of a sudden as if you shut it off. No stumble or rough running. Code 36
My other concern is it's got white smoke, but doesn't seem to be coolant. I'm pretty sure it's oil.
Anyone experienced similar issues?
And if my fuel gauge is correct, I have over 1/2 a tank.

Thanks
RaceWireTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2019, 07:23 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
On my 2002 Windsor my generator will run until the tank gets down to ~1/4 tank but that was not using the fuel gauge. I actually ran the generator until it ran out of fuel, had to put in 100 gallons to fill back up. (100/128 capacity).

If the generator is restarting and runs for 15 minutes I doubt you are running out of fuel. But you might go ahead and fill the tank to take that out of the equation.

Have you checked the air filter??

By any chance is the Auto Generator Start set for battery voltage. If you start it would run for a while but then sense the batteries are full and shut the generator off.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:43 PM   #3

Had a similar issue and took to Cummins service center. I was told mine was not seeing power output so shut itself off. Turned out to be the Stator, which I had replaced. Works great now.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:51 PM   #4

had a similar issue. broken fan belt led to over heating.
jeanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:53 PM   #5

Had a similar experience. Turned out the brushes were shot.
niRVana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:50 PM   #6

Update***
Took the RV and fueled up. That seems to have fixed the issue. The previous owner had stated that the fuel gauge was accurate to 1/4 of a tank. Well, it was showing a little less than half, but I was able to put 90+ gals in.
Looks like the next project will be the fuel gauge/sender.

Thanks for all the help and answers����
Old 03-03-2019, 03:35 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Glad it was a simple fix.
Your fuel sending gauge, if it is like mine, has an adjustment on it. Here's a link showing how to do it.
http://centroidproducts.com/moncal.htm
I adjusted mine which made it better but still off. Finally invested in a Silverleaf VMSPC which if very accurate as to fuel consumed by the engine.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan