Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #1

Onan Gen hours?

How many hours will an average Onan 8000 run before rebuild or major tune up?
The one in my newest motor home has about 900 hours with normal oil and filter changes.
Larry Geese is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
If you think of it as an engine it would have around 54,000 miles on it. Tune and filters and I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #3

Hi,

I'm sure you have the manual for your 8000 series. If you don't have a look at the document that I included below.

I say follow Cummins service directives; I would expect that if you used/exercised and loaded the generator as per the manufacturers directions maybe 15 - 20,000 hour lifespan. At 900 hours give a FULL service and relax in knowing that you should have a unit with a full service life ahead of it.

http://www.westerncanada.cummins.com...aspx?ID=100192
Old 11-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I was told by my local Cummins/Onan dealer several years ago that the diesel Onans will easily go upwards of 20k hour before major overhaul is needed provided they are properly maintained. Proper maintenance being the key to anything for that matter though.

My aunt/uncle had just over 13k hours on their Onan 7500 in their Beaver Marquis before it was sold due to their passing. They used their coach a lot in the wintertime for snowmobiling and it would run quit a lot over the course of a weekend of sledding, as did ours in our previous coach, although ours was nowhere near theirs on hours. They also boondocked a lot more that us in the summer months seeing as how they were retired.

Our Onan Quiet Diesel 10k in our 2003 Dynasty has 2900 and some change on it and runs perfectly. The service manual suggests doing a "major maintenance" on it @ 3000 hours. This includes adjusting the valves, replacing belts and coolant as well as all filters. I opted to perform this maintenance a little premature as our genset had 2500ish hours on it when we purchased the coach used in early 2007. I thought it a bit high until talking to one of the techs at Rocky Mountain Cummins/Onan.

When I purchased the parts to perform the maintenance my dealer told me to not mess with the valves until at least 5k hours as they never see them out of adjustment until well after that. I am kind of anal about maintenance so I decided to perform a valve adjustment anyway because that is what my service manual specified. The valves were spot on.

I was however, glad I decided to pull the sheetmetal off and get to the belt/blower fan because the belt was shot. I don't think it would have made it another 500 hours to the 3k hour mark.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan