Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
One of the Worst Highways in America

We just drove I-80 from CA into NV.

That must be one of the worst roads in the country. It's many miles of construction zones interspersed with many miles of bone jarring completly worn out concrete roadway. That highway was worn out 10 years ago and in only now getting some much needed repair.

It's even worse than I-10 across LA!
glennb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Or I -10 on into and across Texas.
Wilkiesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I completely agree - I-80 from Sacramento to Nevada is the worst that we have driven. It is getting much better, if you can believe that. They are suppose to be done with this latest work in 2012 or something.

I hate it so much that this last crossing, we decided to take Hiway 50 over to Reno. Soooooo much better!! What an amazingly beautiful drive! It took a little longer, but I didn't have to check all my screws/bolts, replace glasses, etc. We ended up driving Hiway 50 from Sacramento all the way to Denver.

I will not make that crossing over the Sierras on I-80 until sometime after 2012. It is not worth the stress on me or my coach.

--kev

(ps. I-25 from Cheyenne to Denver gets an honorable mention from me. Last time I drove that it beat the crap out of us)

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would vote for I-5 just about anywhere in California. Whenever I can I will go out of my way to use Hwy 101.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hmmm! I just drove I-10 from Houston - East, and then again all the way across from Houston - West. There is one small stretch between Baumont and Orange that is shaky. The rest of I-10 is good. The major construction on the West side of Houston outbound, and inbound is complete.

Now I-10 down through New Orleans, and out the west side, or in from the West side will roller coaster you down to about 25 mph, so take the bypass I-12, or go into new orleans any other way except the west side of I-10 to NO.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I've been over I 80 in the last year and it is a cake walk compared to the route I used to take further south of there. We used to take I5 out of LA then over to Gilroy to visit relatives. Then we'd go north on 101 to 680 to 580 to 205 to 5 north again. We'll never go that way again!! There are places on 580 where 45 mph is too fast for the whoop de dos and pot holes and bridge separations. It got pogressivley worse till we just can't do it any more. Now we back track to I5 at Santa Nella and go north again from there. Another bad spot in the road is I 5 thru Stockton, narrow bumpy and full of trucks. We also took 99 south to Bakersfield two yrs ago, big mistake, rough road and far more traffic than I5.
Pusherpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:27 PM   #7

I-80 has so much construction going on in so many places that there is actually a web site to indicate where the road work is taking place and the delays to expect. I was over that road two weeks ago. It is getting better but there is a ton of work trying to get done prior to the snow season.
Chet
Old 09-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Two years i had to go to Houston and pick up a coach and i got on I 10 at Beamout and ran it to Houston. Had to be the highway from hell. When i left Houston i ran 59 back to I 20 ,good road.
Wilkiesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #9

They are in the process of resurfacing I-10 south of Slidell to New Orleans and this should be a major improvement. They also have opened part of the new Lake Ponchertrain Bridge which helped traffic flow tremendously.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:47 PM   #10

Here on the east coast....I95 is the clear winner....besides it being shot in SC...they are doing construction work on it in Connecticut that will definitely have you visiting your dentist when you are done.
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:23 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with I-80 pretty much all the way from San Francisco to at least Truckee if not Reno as the worst. We traveled it about a year ago and at that time it was awful! We are from Alaska and we never encountered anything that bad in AK.

We drove across Texas on I-10 this spring and didn't really have any complaints. Lots of work going on around Houston though.
CheetahGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Some spots on I-80 through Nebraska is also really bad. A couple of times my wife asked if we needed to stop somewhere and have the tires checked. We need to spend tax dollers on repairing infrastructure instead of building more.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:04 PM   #13

Agree totally. We live in Northern California. I-80 to Reno was built 50 years ago and was designated a 20 year road. Well guess what. The incompetent government of California (who charges one of the highest road taxes) used the money for "other things;" i.e., welfare, hiring teachers to teach illegals, etc. The entire I-80 road is terrible with worse places over Donner Summit, Davis area and going through Fairfield. A couple of years ago, coming over Donner Summet, we actually broke cubboard drawers due to the grooves left by truckers. We had to stay in the right lane so were just jarred to pieces. We vowed then we would never travel over I-80 again until it is repaired. The state of Calif. is finally repairing it! About 30 years after it should have been redone. Par for California.
Raylin15600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:10 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I was lost in NYC after dropping my wife and kids off in at a relatives in LI, I think I was on the Brooklyn Queens Expressway. The pavement had potholes so deep the rebar was showing!

This was in 2004, at that time we had a 1993 Gulfstream class C with the TV cabinet with the accordion door behind the driver seat.

After about ten minutes on that road, I heard a loud Crash behind and above my head! After getting off at the next safe place, I discovered the TV cabinet had fallen down!

That was be far the worst highway I've ever been on. I95 in SC and I85 from Henderson to the NC/VA line are bad, but don't even come close!

Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote