Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2014, 01:40 PM   #1
UAV

One Piece Windshield vs. Two

Hello Everybody...

I am looking for a quality and clean pre-owned coach and came across a 2005 Diplomat 38PDQ that appears to be in very good shape.

One question I have is about windshields: Other than aesthetics, personal taste and, maybe, replacement costs, is there any differences worth noting between a two piece front windshield (which this one has) and a one piece that newer models have?

Any input on this and anything else regarding my potential purchase of the PDQ would be great.

Thanks!
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2014, 02:03 PM   #2

I have never had a 2 piece that did not eventually leak. Taking it out and resealing costs about as much as replacing. Flexing is a 1 piece problem but is actually usually operator error when entering or leaving inclines. I say either would be fine with proper care and both would give equal problems
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:43 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
The one piece is nice to view the scenery through while driving down the road. But there are also nuisance problems other than corners cracking because of frame flexing, which is what trackman was talking about. For one, the windshield wipers do not work as well due to the high degree of curve on the one piece windshield. Another problem is that if you ever have to replace the windshield, the second one may not fit as well due to a small degree of warping of the fiberglass front shell over time. This may make it even more susceptible to stress cracks at the corners.

All else being equal, I would not hesitate to buy the older coach simply because of the two piece windshield.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
As someone who is replacing their 1 piece windshield this week because of a rock crack that is in the driver's field of vision that will not pass inspection, I would vote for a 2-piece unit. After checking around everywhere here in central Texas, the best price I could find was $3300 all inclusive - ouch! Can't think of a better reason to have a two-piece!
Old 04-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
When I had to have one of my two piece windshields reset the glass tech mentioned that the manufactures went to the one piece and glued it in and instead of popping out they than crack. Not sure but makes sense
Mike D
Old 04-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
One thing I found on a two piece if the glass repair man rips the center of rubber gasket in replacing the one windshield, that both windows will drop from upper rubber and you start to hear the whistle of separated rubber from fiberglass cap.
Went to factory and got remounted with new rubber and sealant heated overnight to set.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:36 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pros and cons of each as you can see. I would not make it a major decide factor one way or the other.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:40 PM   #8

The idea behind a panoramic one piece glass is worthy. However, in reality, it is not needed. When traveling with a two piece windshield, your mind becomes used to the center post, and does not see it after awhile.

I much prefer the two piece glass. Less expensive to replace, less torquing on smaller glass panel, and as I stated before.... I don't even think about the center post when looking through the windshield.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ours is a two piece and haven't had a problem with it. Works for us.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackman View Post
I have never had a 2 piece that did not eventually leak. Taking it out and resealing costs about as much as replacing. Flexing is a 1 piece problem but is actually usually operator error when entering or leaving inclines. I say either would be fine with proper care and both would give equal problems

What is the entering and leaving inclines problem you wrote about? Yes, newbie here. Thanks
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:12 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
As a few already indicated, I wouldn't let the windshield be the deciding factor. There's a LOT more things behind the windshield that are important too.....
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:59 PM   #12
UAV

Thanks to everyone and I appreciate all of the great input. Most excellent!
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:08 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I am in my 3rd MH, all have had 2 piece and all have had to have replacements at some time. The current rig needs both replaced, small bullet pops,. That will wait until we get home after the snowbird season.
I buy the glass replacement rider on the insurance and it has more than payed for itself.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
What is the entering and leaving inclines problem you wrote about? Yes, newbie here. Thanks
I should have said flexing when entering roadways or parking lots at the wrong angle
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote