Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2022, 08:38 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
One Slide-Out Switch Works - 3 Do Nothing

I know there are lots of posts about non-working slide-outs, but I've read through most of them and can't find a solution to my problem. So here's my issue...

My Coach: 43' 2004 Holiday Rambler Navigator (w/tag axle) 4 Slide-Outs

My Slide-Outs: There is a brochure in my coach's document box, suggesting that my slide-outs are "HWH Room Extensions". From what I've read, I believe the front 2 are hydraulic, and the rear 2 are electric. I see hydraulic cylinders under the floor of the front 2 slides, supporting the idea that they are hydraulic.

Yesterday all four slides were working correctly, but after driving 450 miles last night, I arrived home in Phoenix to find that only one of them will open via the switch - the driver's side rear bedroom slide (which includes the bed). Pushing the other 3 switches did nothing - no click, no hum, no creak... nothing.

With the coach plugged into shore power, I checked the following:

1) Adjusted ignition key (off position), reset parking break, reset trans to N, coach is totally level - still no response from switch.

2) I checked all "open bay door" switches. They all worked correctly - lights at interior slide-out switch panel come on as expected.

3) Checked both fuses in two boxes (under driver's seat, and rear passenger side box), and the ones I could identify looked okay. I do NOT know which relays to check, so nothing done there.

4) Removed slide switch assembly from wall. All wiring to the terminals looks sound. Replaced.

4) Finally, I read where there might be fuses at the hydraulic pump. I checked the generator slide-out and it too would NOT work. Hmm... this is really odd I thought. Perhaps they are all run by the same pump??? So I crawled under the entry step area and found the pump. The fluid level seemed to be low, but no evidence of leakage. I also looked for fuses, but the large bundle of sheathed cables and wires made it difficult to find anything. But after I shuffled around the wiring, looking for fuses, I found that the generator slide suddenly worked. I went inside the coach and found that ALL OF THE SLIDES NOW WORKED!

Was the switch issue resolved simply by jostling the wires at the pump? It would seem so, but it just doesn't make much sense to me. Clearly I'd like to solve the issue so that the slide-out switches are reliable. Can anyone suggest how I might fix the problem correctly? My first thought is to un-zip-tie the bundle of wires/cables at the pump, and go through them carefully to look for anything loose or broken - maybe unplug and replug the many plastic connection points, making sure they are clean and tight, then then bundle it all back together. I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Any other thoughts would be truly appreciated???

Vamoose
Vamoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2022, 09:56 PM   #2

Corrosion can cause your symptoms. The controller is likely forward of where you found the pump and hydraulic solenoids. I had similar issue with my HWH but a '02 model and in that case it was a bundle of white ground wires (that color is used by Winnie) with ring terminals near the solenoids connected to chassis ground and near the pump that had corroded and they were all grounds for the solenoids. The corrosion had cause them to be intermittent. I'd been in that area before whacking things with a rubber mallet and that made it work for a while, but actually finding that bundle of grounds is what lead to a permanent repair. Broke off the welded stud while loosening the bolt so had to drill and tap a new ground stud.

Another time, the big 40 amp fuse HWH uses right near the pump inline with power corroded open circuit. Had to buy all new parts in that case since the fuse and holder just crumbled from age and corrosion. NAPA carried them on a generic parts rack.

You system has a box with a clear plastic cover with a bunch of problem LEDs that you might check...see if they are giving any error message.

And the best advice is to contact AZPete here on iRV2...send him a PM. He works for HWH, is very knowledgeable, will guide you to a low cost solution. He doesn't sell parts or anything.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:09 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks for the advice Jim.

I looked closely at the connections and found three lugs on the side of a solenoid that was connected directly to the pump. Two of the lugs were larger, with nice, tight nuts and wiring. The third, located above them, was smaller (3/8" nut) and was very loose, with only one wire held under it. I removed the wire and and tried the slide-out switches - nothing. I cleaned the wire, the post, and the nut with a wire brush and re-assembled it. I tried the slide-out switches again - they worked!

With all that in mind, I'm hoping I've solved the problem... with a little help from an IRV2 friend. Gotta love these bulletin boards!

Vamoose
Vamoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, switch