Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2021, 06:32 PM   #1

Only one A/C at a time?

Our new 2005 Monaco Diplomat has 2 A/C units front and rear and 50 amp service. According to the owner's manual I cannot use Front and Rear at the same time - I need to select one zone. Is there a way to run both A/C units simultaneously? How do I do that/

thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2021, 06:44 PM   #2

With 50 amp service, you definitely have more than enough power capacity to run both. I'll wait for someone with your rig to answer, but I'm guessing you are reading more into the instructions than is intended. It may be that your thermostat can only show one zone at a time. I have read many posts of people worrying about running both AC units when on 30 amp service, which is a totally different discussion.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:45 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Do you know if you have an Intellitec (or similar) EMS, energy management system? Is there a load meter mounted near the service panel that shows amps being used.

The system, when plugged into less then a 50 amp circuit, will only allow up to 30 amps of power consumption and will shed various appliances to maintain stay within that limit. It will include the AC units, usually only letting you run one AC unit on a priority basis.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:49 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
My neighbor who had an ‘05 Diplomat ran both A/C at the same time when hooked up to 50amp pedestal.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:59 PM   #5

There should not be a problem running both a/c units when plugged into 50 amps service,
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:09 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Somewhere the wires got crossed. On 30 amps you are limited to one RV A/C. On 50 amps, which is actually two 50 amp legs for a total of 100 amps, you can easily run three RV A/C units.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:17 PM   #7

Regardless of what you read in owners manual have you TRIED to run both

Select one....start it then go to other zone and select that A/C and turn it on
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:35 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Regardless of what you read in owners manual have you TRIED to run both

Select one....start it then go to other zone and select that A/C and turn it on
I agree. I think the manual wording is confusing you. Select one zone, set it the way you want, then select the other zone and do the same!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:51 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Agree with the other folks. I installed a third AC unit on my '06 Endeavor, no issues when running all 3 of them on a 50Amp pedestal. Of course, I was managing the other big power-draws (microwave, hot-water, etc) at the same time.
Old 03-22-2021, 02:01 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
Agree with the other folks. I installed a third AC unit on my '06 Endeavor, no issues when running all 3 of them on a 50Amp pedestal. Of course, I was managing the other big power-draws (microwave, hot-water, etc) at the same time.
On coaches that come factory with 3 heat pumps, the other big power appliances are generally on the leg that only have the one HP.

I've never had a breaker trip on 50A shore power.
Old 03-24-2021, 06:46 PM   #11
YC1

You need a better owners manual

As my High School teacher used to remind me. If it doesn't work, "read the book", If it still doesn't work, "follow it". Such sage words from a very wise man. I learned that lesson so many times reading electronic service manuals over the last fifty years. Sometimes that one sentence buried in the middle of the manual or one comma or period in the wrong place would make the read something it was not supposed to mean.

Go a bit further towards the front of the manual by a few pages or start the whole section over. Re-learn the 30 amp versus the 50 amp operation.

As many suggest, there may even be a system that lets you just turn them on even when on 30 amp and it will "shed" one if and when the power draw is too much.

These are complex machines to say the least. There is a steep long learning curve and we have large group gatherings and still learn new things and concepts from each other.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote