Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #1

Only start on Aux Start

Morning, Dad & I are stumped, can't find any help in manual. New batteries couple months ago, showing full charge, and suddenly one day acts like low/dead battery on dash, like no 12VDC to chassis. Must use Aux start to start and hold on to run. Ideas folks?
Thx,
Bob
tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
rex

Monaco Owners Club
If you have not bypassed the solenoid operated by the salesman's switch by your entrance door, it has most likely failed. That sounds like your problem. That switch is handy but the solenoid in know to fail. You can replace it and it will fail again. Best to just bypass it and turn power off using the main battery disconnect switches in the battery compartment.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The below link has a similar discussion....a long-and-winding-road for sure. But in the discussion are some good definitions that might help you troubleshoot and also help you communicate (back to this forum) what you have found. So let us know!!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/star...rt-108394.html
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #4

Thanks, that makes sense...don't seem to find "salesman" switch in the manual, where is it and do we just disconnect and wire across to disable?
Bob
Old 12-01-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
rex

Monaco Owners Club
It is not called a salesman switch in the manual. More likely just 12v dc disconnect. Anyway it is the switch by your entrance door that cuts off the DC circuits by operating a solenoid which may be located in the big fuse box in the front run bay under the drivers window. If you have a Windsor or higher coach it may be located in the rear run panel. The switches in the battery compartment work differently but also cut off the DC circuits.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #6

power loss

Have you checked for power on both sides of the copper bus bars in the front lower out side distribution panel. I had them oxidize and I lost all power to the dash.. be sure to meter the connector as the bus bar can have power but not feeding thru connector... good luck
Old 12-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bob (Tulsa),
My response to you differs from the others. I'm picking up on the "won't start" comment you have.

The others (above) are describing the "House Disconnect Switch" solenoid.....and this switch does indeed have a very high failure rate. But its failure won't cause a "no start" on the main engine.

So please clarify as best you can what systems are no longer powered and/or won't start.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #8

Thanks so much, Okay, so it will only start by holding the Aux start button on, shows 12.5 charging like the alternator is offline, dash is dead until aux start is pushed, everything else works and runs fine. Chasis Batteries were new 3 months ago and show fully charged.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #9

tulsa
there are two solenoids (White/Rogers in mine)in the front run bay under the drivers window.Both are activated withe the ignision switch.One is marked "accessory's" and the other is ignition when the switch is in the run or on position.Check the fuse strip for power when the key is on.....it will power the dash gauges etc ....this sounds like your problem
pipedream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #10

tulsa
this is a thread that is about the same thing you have....I had added pictures there to identify the solenoids.....you should read it
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/moto...icity-628.html
Old 12-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tulsa,
Turn on the ignition switch but do not engage the BATT BOOST switch. At this moment, is the shifter panel illuminated?
Old 12-03-2011, 09:37 AM   #12

Robi
The shifter panel is energzed from the ignition fuse strip (ecu power) that i mentioned in my post.I think we are both guiding him down the same (right) path.......but it would be nice to hear a response from Tulsa if he has power on that fuse strip in the front run bay......i believe his solenoid has gone out.....I had the same trouble with mine......they are a cheap fix
Old 12-03-2011, 10:59 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dennis,
Concur with your troubleshooting recommendation. What has me going is Tulsa's comment that he must "push and hold" the battery-boost switch in order to start AND keep the main engine running. So I'm leaning toward a connection problem in the battery bay WRT chassis batteries.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #14

Robi
yes i follow that line.....no power feeding the solenoids....what i need clarification on is
1) does it keep running if you let go of the boost switch...or does it die and is the dash and shifter lit when its running then
2) does it run without the dash lit
To help him any further he has to come back with info.......we are all guessing here