RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #1

operating the lights using the smart wheel

While trying to familiarize myself with the many functions of the smart wheel on our 2005 Diplomat I thought that one of the headlight symbols would dim/brighten the headlamps, but they don't. The top left one that I was sure would brighten/dim the head light only flashes them. Then the the one on the top right side of the wheel flashes the running lights. I understand the flashing of the headlamps, but why the running lights? Oh, btw I know I can dim/brighten the headlight with the turn signal lever, but I was thinking if I had designed the smart wheel I would have made dimming/brightening the lights one of the functions. Am I missing something, maybe I need to close my left eye and cross my legs, I know many functions on the coach have their unique process.
1948boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
On my coach with SmartWheel, I can "blink" the headlights with the switch that looks like the headlight, but only when the headlights are turned on. In other words, that switch only turns my headlights OFF when they are already on. The other switch on my SmartWheel blinks the driving lights all around the coach. My understanding is that's a way to say "thanks" to someone who let you pass them. I have a third ICC light switch on my left arm rest that only blinks the three lights mounted on TOP FRONT of the coach. No idea what that would be handy for!
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
The biggest problem with using lights to attempt to say anything, is they can be misunderstood. My suggestion is to ignore those blinking things and stick to the ones that turn the lights on when they are required and off when they are not. It is nice to be respectful and attempt to help or thank others, but if it is not recognized as meaning the same as you would expect, you never know what the outcome may be.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Smart wheel switches to blink headlights and running lights are called ICC light switches. Truckers use them to flash when it is safe to pull in front of them or to say thanks after you let them in front of you.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
On my coach with SmartWheel, I can "blink" the headlights with the switch that looks like the headlight, but only when the headlights are turned on. In other words, that switch only turns my headlights OFF when they are already on.
Mine operate a little differently: with the headlights on, pushing the steering wheel button blinks them off. But if the headlights are off, pushing the button blinks them off.

The steering wheel controls have one additional headlight function: operating the wipers, even for one sweep, will turn on just the headlights (no running lights.) The headlights will then stay on until the ignition is turned off, or until the headlights are turned on then off again using the regular headlight switch.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mine work like ShapeShifter's. When headlights are on the SW turns them off. When off the SW turns them on. This works the same for the running lights. My wipers also turn on my headlights.

Another feature is the intermittent wiper. The lower right wiper button turns on the wipers for one pass. If you hit the same button again, it turns the wipers on again for one pass and sets the time interval between wipes to match the time you waited between pushing the button. This feature works well.

When warming up the coach, like when airing up the air bags, you can turn the cruise control on and then hit SET and the coach will fast idle. Your idle speed can also be set from the SmartWheel. With the engine running and the cruise control off, you can raise or lower the idle 25 rpm by pressing the SET (lower idle) or RES to (raise idle). Once you have it where you want it, turn the cruise control on to set the new idle.

Note: The idle for the ISL 400 should be 700rpm.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
Mine operate a little differently: with the headlights on, pushing the steering wheel button blinks them off. But if the headlights are off, pushing the button blinks them off.
Maybe doesn't need to be said, but just to be complete: I'm describing the headlight button on the left spoke above. The similar button on the right spoke works the same way, but with the running lights: if they're off, they blink on; if on, they blink off. It controls all parking lamps and clearance lights.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post

Maybe doesn't need to be said, but just to be complete: I'm describing the headlight button on the left spoke above. The similar button on the right spoke works the same way, but with the running lights: if they're off, they blink on; if on, they blink off. It controls all parking lamps and clearance lights.
It's a headlamp flash switch. When on they flash off on. When off they flash on off. This can be used to signal a passing vehicle they have a safe distance to pull in front of you (ie a semi tractor). It can also be used to alert oncoming traffic of a speed trap ahead. This action may be illegal in some states.
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
On some vehicles, you may find that the "headlight flash" switch may not override the daytime running light module. On our coach, when the parking brake is released, the DTR takes over, turns on the headlights, and the headlight flash will not override it. If the headlights are turned to on and bright, the headlight flash should turn off the brights momentarily but the DTR will still have the dims on. Hope this may help. Happy Trails Bert
Old 10-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
I have a third ICC light switch on my left arm rest that only blinks the three lights mounted on TOP FRONT of the coach. No idea what that would be handy for!
To thank someone who passed YOU and you signaled OK to change lanes. Fat chance of that ever happening
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #11

Thanks to all, I have towed a show car for many several years along with having four previous motorhomes pulling various things, I was aware of the flashing lights to let someone know there is room to move in a lane. I also have seen the the big rigs flash the running lights as some form of communication, yet not sure what. But, I often passed the big rigs and have waited for a signal to move back into the lane in front of them and the signal is almost always never made. I guess we do not qualify as a brother to them (not trying to start a fight, just the facts).
So, with all that we have said it still seems a waste to have the opportunity to put something really useful on the smart wheel like the dimmer switch, and they didn't. I guess when I design one I can build it the way I want. BTW it probably would have required a relay to handle the headlight current.
Thanks again and GOD BLESS
1948boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #12

I too have "smart wheel" that so far is smarter then I am...but I'll figure it out. (Blush) spent a couple of minutes searching the dash trying to find the wipers the first time it rained.

That said, I do use the "headlight flash" to let passing truckers know that it's OK to change lanes or that I'm backing off to let them in if they're running out of onramp. I've had truckers do the same for me...though certainly not all. Similarly, I flash the running lights to say thanks to those that have done me a favour. My last coach had switches for both of these but they were included in a bank of about eight and it was difficult to hit the right one.

I will be thrilled if my smart wheel turns out to be capable of these actions....I know, I'm looking for the manual as we speak!
wilco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco1 View Post
I too have "smart wheel" that so far is smarter then I am...but I'll figure it out. (Blush) spent a couple of minutes searching the dash trying to find the wipers the first time it rained.

That said, I do use the "headlight flash" to let passing truckers know that it's OK to change lanes or that I'm backing off to let them in if they're running out of onramp. I've had truckers do the same for me...though certainly not all. Similarly, I flash the running lights to say thanks to those that have done me a favour. My last coach had switches for both of these but they were included in a bank of about eight and it was difficult to hit the right one.

I will be thrilled if my smart wheel turns out to be capable of these actions....I know, I'm looking for the manual as we speak!
Guess you found the wipers ok. The intermittent operation can be a little tricky until you get used to it. With wipers on you push the intermittent button once and the wipers will do a single sweep. You wait until the rain drops produce enough moisture on the windshield for another sweep and push the intermittent button again. You just set the interval sweep time and the wipers will continue to sweep once every X seconds where X is the time between the first and second push of the intermittent button.

Have fun and may your highway days be bright and sunny not requiring wipers

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco1 View Post
I know, I'm looking for the manual as we speak!
Lots of good information on the Smart Wheel here: Vehicle Improvement Products - Tech Support

Look through the list, and find the wheel you have. Then you will see buttons that bring up the owner's manual with basic operating instructions, or the trouble shooting manual which has lots more information including electrical diagrams.

Tags
lights