Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #1

Opinion on toad brakes

We have acquired our first Class 'A' MH and a Jeep Wrangler TJ "Lil Scoot" for our "Toad". We've got it all set up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar with a Karguard 11 Protection Shield mounted on an extended/dropped 10K receiver with new 10K safety cables.......tows perfectly level. We have never towed behind the MH as of yet, however have road tested this arrangement behind our One Ton Cummins Pickup (without brakes).......handled beautifully, never know it's there.

Here in B.C. laws pertaining to Recreational Towing specifically state MH's may tow motor vehicles via a tow bar without brakes hooked up on the towed motor vehicle when the towed motor vehicle's laden weight is less than 2,000 Kg.(4409 lbs.) and is less than 40% of the GVWR of the Motorhome towing it. In our case we are well under these specified limits by approx. 1/2 ton. We are fully aware of the advantages of auxiliary braking systems and the safety they provide, but............and here is where I draw upon the wealth of expertise out there. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated!

1. Under these specific circumstances, do you feel brakes are necessary?

2. If so, what are the preferred types, manufacture, etc.

BOB
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 06:18 PM   #2

Get ready, here it comes.
There are MANY choices for the best braking system and most of them are very good products. Personally, I use the BlueOx Patriot System and find that it works very well. You will hear from others on this forum that use different products and work well for them.
As far as do you NEED one??
Well, just imagine driving down the highway and seeing your toad suddenly appear in your side mirror because the towing mechanism has failed. Worse yet, it now decides to depart from the MH and head off into the wild blue yonder by itself with no way to stop it from crashing into on coming traffic.
Along with a Braking System is the Brake Away Switch that will apply the toad brakes when the above happens. And trust me it has been known to happen.
Don't know where in BC you are from but if you want some good advice on which product is good for you, All Hitches by Dr. Hook in Penticton are a very good company to deal with. 250-490-8815 - Jason
Old 02-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #3

Well Bob it looks like the law is on your side. So, it's really up to you. BTW, can you tow without a break-away braking system under the same BC law?
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
One thing to remember Bob, just cause you won't need to have the brakes in BC, does not mean that other states or provinces won't require you to have Brakes.

When we we're going through getting setup the first time, I was advised to get it setup so that your legal anywhere in North America, that way you never have to worry about where your go.

My 2nd bit of advice would be even though you aren't required to have auxiliary braking on the jeep, you will notice a difference when you do have it, especially coming down some of those big grades in BC
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:35 AM   #5

Suggest you look for all the threads on this website

You will find MANY threads on this subject here on iRV2. There are as many opinions as there are RVers. Some do, some dont. Some use systems with boxes in the toad and others use system with no boxes. Some systems use power from the toad and some use no power from the toad. What is clear is that you need to make yourself really knowledgeable about all the issues and then decide.

Now, as a relatively new RVer, I will offer an observation. I own a 2001 Dynasty tag axle MH that I bought about 15 months ago. I have put about 4000 miles on it pulling a Honda CR-V. I have had one circumstance where a car in front of me made a very quick stop at a light that it did not need to stop at, and I had to break harder than I had braked before in the Monaco. We did fine.... I smelled brake pad, we stopped well within distance, but it convinced me, along with discussions with others who had more experience with towing, and decided two weeks ago to go ahead and purchase an Air Force One system, which looks like the best way for me to go. My personal decision is that I needed an automatic break-away system and all the proportional braking that I can get from my toad. Further, I wanted a simple system, easy set up and connect, and minimal fuss in getting ready to tow and breaking down when I arrive.

Good luck in figuring it out. Do read all the threads and Google the issue and you will find tons of threads and opinions all over the net.

Drive many safe miles........

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
SMI for our Mini Cooper. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #7

I would never use one of those contraptions that pushes against the seat. Mickey Mouse. We have been using the US Gear setup ( now called Unified Tow Brake) for almost 11 years. I have had it on 3 different toads and 2 motorhomes. IMHO it is the best. You don't have to be a genius to do the install but it is time consuming. To hook up all that has to be done is to connect the breakaway and a 12 volt cable. PERIOD! Most Monacos are prewired for this system.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:53 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCanuk View Post
In our case we are well under these specified limits by approx. 1/2 ton.
You're under your local legal limits, that's good. What about your motorhome limits? If you look at your motorhome manual under towing, they will usually say you should have trailer/tow brakes on anything over a certain weight (1,000 or 1,500 pounds is often cited.)

Just one more data point to consider...
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:17 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
The majority of state laws in the US require a supplemental braking system.. I would not leave home without one! Everyone one has their own preference, yadayadayada, it's the nature of the internet. Study your needs, ie, charging system, certainly break away. Your insurance company would certainly frown upon lack of due diligence. Could come back to bite you in the a..! Be safe and keep others safe, JMO but well thought out.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:23 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Mickey Mouse system kept me from looking Goofy on Pluto somewhere by making the stopping distance Minnie enough. Worked just fine in a panic stop and has for the past eight years.

However, if I were to do it again (I don't need to) I would look at the Ready Brute surge set up. Particularly in the position of the OP. It seems to be the easiest most cost efficient way to add brakes. Plenty of people have commented on their satisfaction with them.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Moisheh are you referring your post to mine? deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:56 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a "brake in a box" system and when it failed I replaced it with the SMI Stay-in-Play (like Air Force One but for gas MH's). When I plug in the light cord it is ready to go. Best move I ever made.

In my opinion, if you plan to keep the same toad for a few years, go with a built in system.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:05 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to jacko1
I have a Patriot and while it worked pretty well on my 2011 Dip I changed over to a RoadMaster 9125 which operates both the system and the breakaway by the air off the coach. I found the folks at Patriot very nice to deal with when I had a problem, but must confess I found the Roadmaster seem to be more consistent and are quicker to get going with.
jacko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:18 PM   #14

Be safe. Installing a braking system on the 'toad" is part of being a good RV'er. The added braking surface that the systems provide may well be the difference between a bad situation and a real terrible accident. Our Roadmaster Brakemaster system was easy to install and very simple to hook up. Would recommend to all who might need a "toad' braking system.
Regards,
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, toad