Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2019, 12:00 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Opinions on a 2005 Monaco Dynasty 42 Diamond IV

Hello all, we are looking at a 2005 Monaco Dynasty 42 Diamond IV and would like anyone's opinion on the coach as to the quality and such. Does the ISL 400 hp Cummins have enough power to comfortably go up and down hills towing a car on a dolly or is it a bit under powered? Right now we have a 2004 Gulfstream Atrium 42 foot with the Cat C7 330 hp and find it to be a little under powered. From what I understand the Cummins has a bit more torque than the Cat which would help but with only a 70 hp increase is it enough?

Thanks in advance for any input,
mdpuff.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2019, 06:17 AM   #2

"Enough" for me or you?

It is really hard to say what is enough for you. With my 2004 330isc, I get up any mountain I need to pulling a 5klb GMC Jimmy behind by 40' 32k lbs Monaco. Sometimes, with very steep hills, I drop down to 45MPG, but am still passing trucks. On the steepest hills, sometimes 35mpg.

But, mountains are not the whole time. I live in Montana, drive all over the west and mountain ranges and am not in a rush. I like being able to get gas mileage in the 7-9 range, while towing. Get a larger engine, and I know some are down in the 4-5 range, but they can fly up the occassional hill.

If you are trying to impress all the truckers or are embarrassed if you have to go up slower, you might want the 500+ hp and pay more for it now and more for all fuel for evermore as well to get up those hills faster.

I don't think anyone can accurately say if it is "enough" for you. 330isc is enough for me.....I also pulled an old jeep on a dolly and it was enough for me personally.
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:41 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
The ONLY reason I sold my 04 Diamond 4 after 14 GREAT years is my son wanted it, instead of a new Class C. The current 9L ISL is rated 450HP but it is still 1200ftlbs because that’s the max for the Alison 3000 tranny. It is actually a 1300 ftlbs engine... 50% more than your C7/880 ftlb engine. The torque curve is flat from 1200 to 1500 rpms. I was on the heavy side at 45,000 combined weight and plenty of power 99.9% of the time. Above 10,000’ you cannot get 100% power so you may get below 40 mph at the top of a few passes.

The Dynasty gives the most bang for the buck of the big Monaco products and Yes, my “new” 08 Navigator is nicer than the Dynasty...for $100K more it ought to be. NO major problems out of the Dynasty in 88K miles and they (RR10S chassis) are great handling rigs. I’m up in age and still do the 1500 miles to CO in 2 days or 2000 miles to MT in 3. Couple years ago I did the 1900 miles to the Tetons in 50 hours but I left Thursday afternoon and was in Jackson Hole Saturday afternoon...sleeping 2 nights.

PM me a link to what you are looking at and I’ll tell you what I think of it.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:28 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We owned a 2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV. We loved the coach. Never had a issue with the power. Had a Cummins 400 ISL. We pulled a full size Ram. Great coach and very well built. We brought a 2017 Diplomat was the reason we sold it. The buyer took it to Ohio and I believe he sold it after a few months. I have extra belts and filters for the 400 if you buy it. I think I several other parts also.
devildawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:12 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks so much for everyone's input. I'm sure the extra 320 foot lbs of torque will help quite a bit. I don't mind slowing down going up some of the hills we encounter but some of the steeper ones when we are slowed down to around 35 mph and holding up traffic is a little embarrassing.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:29 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, the Dynasty Diamond IV is a great coach. That is a lucky find if the pricing is decent. You would have a very hard time buying a new coach with the quality components that are in an older Monaco Dynasty.
It is built on a Roadmaster RR10S 10 airbag chassis with 10 outboard shocks and a tag axle.

Remember, it's not just the extra 320 Ft Lbs in a Cummins ISL over a C7, but the torque curve all the way through the power band is much higher.
One option I would really want is the Aqua Hot heating and unlimited hot water system. This was a very expensive option but I would hope the original owner ordered it.

The Diamond IV will have an upgraded 10k (over the 7.5k) Onan diesel generator and three Dometic air conditioners.

The interior hard wood cabinets are some of the best around at any price point.

Find someone familiar with these large coaches and inspect it thoroughly. Be prepared to spend both money and time updating it.

Download the original brochure here:
https://www.monacocoach.com/luxury-rv-brochures?y=2005

Download the owners manual here:
https://www.monacocoach.com/rv-owners-manuals

Best of luck! Let us knw how it goes?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:03 PM   #7

I'm going to ditto "devildawg". I've had the '05 Dynasty for 5yrs now 75,000 miles, it's a dream to drive. Pulling a chevy colorado typical hill is 50, 45 is about as low as I think I've seen on steep hills but never had a truck pass me on a hill. If you wouldn't mind the question, what is the price range they are asking for it?
bpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:19 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
They are asking $138,880.00 Canadian for it, that would translate to around $97,000.00 US dollars. Now this is just the asking price, I'm sure I can get them to come down some.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:14 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Price is $100K US with 70K miles. Original TVs and Norcold 1200.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:31 AM   #10

To play it safe, check the motor S/N and then check it here for bad wrist pins, this one should be an 04 motor but you never know.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/isl-...ge-180891.html
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:08 PM   #11

You did not ask for information about what to look for in a Monaco so I assume that means you have information you are sourcing elsewhere.

If not, please do. Great coach but obviously like any coach, stuff you need to know about each one.

I am on the other side of this discussion. I have the Detroit Series 60 in my Executive and wish I had more power still. I think I am at 46K as I recall so somewhat heavy which does make a difference.

The 400 and 450 ISL engines are geared a bit differently which helps with power down the highway and the Cummins have a little better torque curve at higher RPM than my Detroit which also helps. I think the ISL is good to about 1700 RPM before economy goes kapoot. Someone may need to fact check me on that.

I passed up a few really nice Dynasty's scared I would not have the power I would want. Foolish really but everyone is different. You need to drive it to know

Coming from a similar size coach you currently own with less power to the Dynasty, will likely find enough power.

Best of luck figuring this all out!
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpuff View Post
Hello all, we are looking at a 2005 Monaco Dynasty 42 Diamond IV and would like anyone's opinion on the coach as to the quality and such. Does the ISL 400 hp Cummins have enough power to comfortably go up and down hills towing a car on a dolly or is it a bit under powered? Right now we have a 2004 Gulfstream Atrium 42 foot with the Cat C7 330 hp and find it to be a little under powered. From what I understand the Cummins has a bit more torque than the Cat which would help but with only a 70 hp increase is it enough?

Thanks in advance for any input,
mdpuff.
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, monaco dynasty