Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #1

Opinions Please!

I am looking at a 2006 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 38PDQ. 15,000 miles with a Cummins ISC 330. Very good condition, but will need tires in the near future and does not have a washer/dryer combo, which the Boss wants. Sale price is $75,000 from a private owner. From my research on the internet, this seems like a good deal. Opinions please...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
KIX

Sounds like a good deal to me too......assuming it checks out good.
There are coach "re-fitters" that can install a WD. I don't know of any in PA but I'm sure someone will know where you can get a WD installed.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Like KIX stated check everything out from top to bottom.Good Luck
Old 02-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #4

Any known issues with the HR fiberglass roof, the Cummins 330 or the Roadmaster chassis?
Old 02-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #5

We have a 2005 Ambassador PST. we love it. I hope it all checks out for you. The only thing that I can say to a look at is the road side living room slide. Had to have ours adjusted a couple of times to get it to close rite.Good luck and safe travels.
Poppa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I owned an '05 40PLQ, same engine. I put 45,000 miles on it, sold it a year ago for $80K. Loved the coach. I towed a Ford Expedition behind, it was loaded to the max and it worked perfectly. I was mostly flatland driving, gulf coast area. Sounds like a good buy to me.
JTBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds ok but U need to check which chassis it is on. If it is a Road Master R4RR chassis has it had its Trail Arm checked for cracks. I had a 2005 Cayman with the R4RR chassis that the Trail Arm were cracked replacing them was a little over $3000.00 and ride package was another $3000.00.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rguarin
Sounds ok but U need to check which chassis it is on. If it is a Road Master R4RR chassis has it had its Trail Arm checked for cracks. I had a 2005 Cayman with the R4RR chassis that the Trail Arm were cracked replacing them was a little over $3000.00 and ride package was another $3000.00.
No worries on the trailing arm issue. The Ambassador was moved to the RR8R chassis a couple of model years before. The engine, transmission and generator are all highly respected. If the tires are OEM you should build the cost of a set of tires into the deal. The OEM shocks were Monroe's and are done by now so figure on replacing.

Here is the brochure:

http://www.holidayrambler.com/Static...ambassador.pdf
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Sounds ok. but I bet those are original tires??? If they are , I might negotiate tire replacement. Either way , Go price replacement tires and replacement costs. If you are FMCA, you can get tires for about $3400.00. Tires are fairly important so if there's an issue (like age) , might want to plan on the replacement sooner than later. That way you can figure what you'll possibly pay. If its plumbed for WD, you can pick a Splendide combo up for around $1200.00 bucks at CamperW.

The "hot" item right now seem to be the refrig. Cooling units etc. might want to check whats in this one.
Galvanizd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump Jumper View Post
I am looking at a 2006 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 38PDQ. 15,000 miles with a Cummins ISC 330. Very good condition, but will need tires in the near future and does not have a washer/dryer combo, which the Boss wants. Sale price is $75,000 from a private owner. From my research on the internet, this seems like a good deal. Opinions please...
That coach should be pre-plumbed for a washer/dryer combo. You can install it yourself. Our coach did not have the washer/dryer and the wife wanted one. With the help of my son-n-law I put one in. Locate the area where the vent will need to exit the coach and wait for a cool morning with condensation showing where the framing is under the skin. Mark the area with masking tape and you will know where to cut the hole without hitting the frame.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #11

Thanks for the replies!
Old 02-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #12

When the boss sees how much cabinet space she'll be loosing, she might have second thoughts re: W/D