RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #15

Monroe gas shocks were the only shocks available, and they were 150miles away. Was real skeptical and planned to change them asap but have really enjoyed the ride for the last 1900 miles. Still have Koni's on the front and plan to keep the Monroe's on the back until I decide if I want to have a REK installed and a few other upgrades or perhaps just upgrade the coach. Aside from replacing the trailing arms for safety purposes, I've only had a few minor issues.
time2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2011, 12:46 AM   #16

Koni & Bilstein warranty does not cover broken shocks
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:37 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2go View Post
Monroe gas shocks were the only shocks available, and they were 150miles away. Was real skeptical and planned to change them asap but have really enjoyed the ride for the last 1900 miles. Still have Koni's on the front and plan to keep the Monroe's on the back until I decide if I want to have a REK installed and a few other upgrades or perhaps just upgrade the coach. Aside from replacing the trailing arms for safety purposes, I've only had a few minor issues.
I would check to see if the rear end of the MH is adjusted at the proper height. I had the Bilstein installed on mine and they seemed to be a bit short but when I checked the height, it was about 1" too high.
With the lever of the arm it means more travel distance at the shocks, maybe 2" or more (I didn't check). So the shocks would be stopping the travel of the axle by extending too far. My$0.02, but your MH might be different than mine.
Dynasty_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #18

Will definitely have the ride height checked... Thanks all.
time2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
Koni & Bilstein warranty does not cover broken shocks.
Sorry, but I just read the Koni Warranty page and I didn't see any verbiage referring to NOT covering broken shocks, especially if they happen to have been defective. If they were installed properly and used under normal service conditions, they warranty the shocks for their lifetime.

Web site for the warranty.

Koni North America - ITT - Warranty

Web site for executing the warranty.

http://www.koni-na.com/pdf/warranty.pdf

I have 8 Koni's installed on my coach and have driven the same interstate as the OP without having any problems. In fact I have driven over 15,000 miles from CA to AK to FL to NY and back to FL without having ANY shock problem.

My guess is that they were not installed correctly. If that is true, then they may deny any warranty claim.

To each their own. They are GREAT shocks and they stand behind their products.

Only my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Every time I've seen a shock break like described it has been that the shock lacked sufficient travel. I would check it by inflating the rear air bags to maximum travel with the shocks unhooked and make sure the eyelets will still align, if they don't you have your answer. It can happen if the shocks are too long as well, if they bottom out the 30k lb coach will win and snap them off or bend them. Can check that by dumping the air in the rear bags with the shocks unhooked and make sure they compress so the eyelets align. Good luck.
Brent
Old 12-10-2011, 08:42 AM   #21

I agree with Brent. The wrong travel on the shocks maybe caused by the wrong ride height but regardless the shocks broke because of over extension or too much compression.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote