RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2012, 12:54 AM   #15

When it comes to selling, it's pretty simple: Price it right. Clean it like new.

By pricing it right, you must realize that rv's are NOT increasing value in the "spring", or when we get out of Afghanistan, etc. They are decreasing constantly. I drive by a couple dealers that have had some units sitting on their lot for over two years.

Market value in near perfect condition is probably around $45k, retail. That means it will probably attract attention at around $40k. As far as cleaning; I mean as clean as new. Better then new. Absolutely no trinkets, mementos, nick-knacks around. All closets totally empty. Refer spotless. All wood imperfections touched up. Carpet totally spotless. No throw rugs, towels, etc present. Make it look like it just left the factory.

No one wants to buy someone else's dirt, or even think of using their towels. On the other hand, don't make dumb moves like putting anything on the tires to shine them up. That's for the used car types to do.

All exterior vinyl graphics should look good, with NO alligator skin cracking. If they are cracked, replace them at any independent sign shop. They do not need to match the originals, just sort of close. Cracked graphics kills many a sale. Have all service records organized to present as evidence the unit has been impeccably maintained. If you have ancient tube type TV's replace them with LCD's. In general, make the coach appear to be literally like new. Guaranteed that will bring top dollar, which probably still will be lower than what you think it should be. It will be worth less tomorrow, and the day after that, etc. Get it PERFECT, price it realistically, and it will sell.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
deSanford.. I have it listed for 59k. I know that is on the high end of Nada but at the time of listing I didn't want to give it away. I may have to re-think that...

Automobilist you make some good points I have already replaced the graphics and cleaned and cleaned. I am retired and have time to do thing like cleaning. You do have a good point about it being empty and ready to travel. I remember when we were selling our house years ago the realtor told us the same thing. He said empty the house gives the buyer a chance to imagine their own stuff on the walls and cupboards, I also had not thought about the throw rugs which I thought would make it look like we REALLY cared about keeping it top shape. I do have papers of maintenance in a folder and am willing to show it. As a matter a fact I am going to Speedco today and have it serviced. You are also right about pricing I may have to just bite the bullet and come down to the range you suggested....

Note; to Moderator if I have over stepped my boundary on this post please feel free to do what is necessary. I am just looking for advice..

Thanks in advance LeeB.....

If you don't stand behind our TROOPS, Feel Free to stand in front of them
Wish I was somewhere I could not use the internet...
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Lee, we are sorry that you are leaving this group, but I can understand where you are coming from. Sometimes I think it would be nice to go back to something really simple that's easy to work on and easy to get around with! Good luck on your future ventures and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I may be wrong but I believe your price point and lower is where the used market is. Good luck with the sale, and your future plans. deSanford. There comes a time when we all face the prospect of hanging up our stirrups.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
good luck indeed....
but 62?
you're still a young man, only 8 years older than me. Hell, you're not even "retirement age" yet! To think of giving it up... sheeeet, i'm still praying for the day when my kids will be able to support themselves and I'll be able to travel.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #20

Lee,

I would also suggest you make a full & complete list of everything the coach has. Standard equipment, optional equipment, things you've added, etc. I like to have it as a Word document that I can email to any prospects. Typically organized thusly: Overview, Chassis, Exterior, Interior, Systems, Recent Service / Upgrades. This will allow buyers to see just how good your coach is.

Unfortunately, I do think your pricing is too high. You don't need to make massive price cuts, but gradually lower it until the phone rings. Perhaps try again at $55k, which I suspect is still a bit high. Also, try offering an incentive. The free gift with purchase. Example: include the tow equipment for your tow'd. Free storage for a year. Full tank of fuel. Things like that to sweeten the deal.

Many people are under the mistaken belief that buying from a private party is riskier than from a dealer. Turn this around in your favor: the buyer can actually meet the prior owner (YOU!) At a dealer, they simply don't know as much about their used units as you know about yours. Instill confidence that you have babied this coach, loved it, and treated it well. Make the point that a dealer coach could have been a rental, lived in full time, who knows how it was treated?

You're in a great location. California coaches are known to be generally rust free. In the valley, you're central to LA & SF. Advertise in RV Trader Online, and on SF, Sacramento & LA Craigslist, at a minimum. Repost your Craigslist ads every third day.

I do hope these suggestions help. I've never had a problem selling, but it can take a while for the right buyer to find you. I think about four months is about average.

Ed
Old 11-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
LeeB......Things and times change. A few years back my daughters got married and they were only going boating with us once a year. The boat was like new and we had been boating for 20 years. When we sold it, my wife was sad and a little mad at me. She got over it and realized we just were not using it enough.

A few months ago, we sold our motorcyle (a large cruiser). We had it for 9 years and we were done. It was hard on my back. We also found that grandkids were taking up more of our time.

Times change and you move on. I'm sure you'll find things to fill your time. Good luck with your endeavors.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #22

We have been cleaning out our '97 Beaver Monterey to prepare her for sale. We enjoyed our travels greatly, all of the lower 48, plus most of lower Canada and northern Mexico.

We will continue to travel and may even figure a way to do a little camping. We spent years with sail boats, and now years with RV's, but it's time to sort out a different mode of travel. We feel privileged to do what we have done, but we can hang it up with no regrets.
the beave3 is offline   Reply With Quote