RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our Time Has Come To Move On

Well folks after much Hemming and Hawing we have decided to sell our Motor Home. We are 62 and retired since 2008. Financially we are doing OK. By me saying OK I mean we are surviving not saving like we used to but doing OK. We are finding that using our Motor Home the way we wanted too when we bought her is a major under taking. Even taking off for 2 or 3 days (which we no longer do) in order to get anywhere to where we would like to go cost us 3 to 4 hundred dollars and we just don't have that kinda of cash anymore. There are places we can go that is closer but our 38' pusher will not fit in most of the camp sites and taking the chance of going and not finding a spot to camp would waste the precious $$$$ we have. There are not really places close that take reservations and if they do it is darn near impossible to make them. We will still make trips until we sell but we will make sure we stay at least a week or more to make it worth while.

We will take the $$$ from the sale and maybe invest in a Casita or small trailer that we can use to pull behind our pick-up, so we can camp anywhere for 3 or 4 days. Yes it will take some adjusting but we can do it.

Also we plan on taking a European trip next year. For us it will be a trip of a life time and with the money that we make from the sale we can do it up right. Plus we can visit our son who is stationed at Ramstein AFB.

I want to thank Rex (whom I have had the pleasure of meeting face to face) for all the help he has giving us along the way of owning our Endeavor and Diplomat Don for all his help along with many of you. I will still be lurking and putting my 2cents worth in.........

Again Thank you all.................. Lee........

If you don't stand behind our TROOPS, Feel Free to stand in front of them
Wish I was somewhere I could not use the internet...
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #2

Good luck with your sell and best to you in your future adventures. As long as you are still camping you are enjoying the good life. God bless. Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #3

Really sorry to hear that you are selling your rig, but you know your situation so I would not try and second guess your decision.
Sounds like you have a backup plan to keep you in the "RVing Community".

Good luck and don't "Give her away"
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks...... I have intention on "Giving her away". I can't I need the bucks to buy something else (just smaller)...... LoL........

We love relaxing and we found we couldn't anymore......... Ahhhhhh s'mores and Adult Beverages here we come.....

Old 08-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
Well folks after much Hemming and Hawing we have decided to sell our Motor Home. We are 62 and retired since 2008. Financially we are doing OK. By me saying OK I mean we are surviving not saving like we used to but doing OK. We are finding that using our Motor Home the way we wanted too when we bought her is a major under taking. Even taking off for 2 or 3 days (which we no longer do) in order to get anywhere to where we would like to go cost us 3 to 4 hundred dollars and we just don't have that kinda of cash anymore. There are places we can go that is closer but our 38' pusher will not fit in most of the camp sites and taking the chance of going and not finding a spot to camp would waste the precious $$$$ we have. There are not really places close that take reservations and if they do it is darn near impossible to make them. We will still make trips until we sell but we will make sure we stay at least a week or more to make it worth while.

We will take the $$$ from the sale and maybe invest in a Casita or small trailer that we can use to pull behind our pick-up, so we can camp anywhere for 3 or 4 days. Yes it will take some adjusting but we can do it.

Also we plan on taking a European trip next year. For us it will be a trip of a life time and with the money that we make from the sale we can do it up right. Plus we can visit our son who is stationed at Ramstein AFB.

I want to thank Rex (whom I have had the pleasure of meeting face to face) for all the help he has giving us along the way of owning our Endeavor and Diplomat Don for all his help along with many of you. I will still be lurking and putting my 2cents worth in.........

Lee, I know exactly how you feel. We have a deposit on our MH and if everything goes as planned, we will wait 1 yr. before we do any replacing. The cost of Ins. , taxes, upkeep, and fuel are astronomical for a retired person living on a fixed income. A very wise person told me once when purchasing a private airplane. There are only 2 reasons to own a small plane. 1st because you want it and 2nd because you can afford it. If any of these 2 reasons is no, you need to leave it alone. Owning a MH is in the same catagory. Good luck with selling your MH.
roscoesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #6

Lee. Know also how you feel. We are going to do the same thing after this one last trip. Our reason has to do with an elderly parent who is fast needing constant care. We just can't see letting a nice unit sit around and ruin. Best wish to you and yours and enjoy that trip to Europe.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
We're both 74 and these gas prices are starting to bite again. We haven't been out since late May due to a 500 year flood in June that created problems. But we're going to hang on to the motor home. It's been paid for plus we now have a motor home pad at the kids cabin to use. No plan to sell for a bunch more years.

We wish you well in selling your motor home and doing a tour of Europe.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sell the house and keep the motor home. That's what we did this year.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks so much for the well wishes. Yes it is time......You have to know when it's time to say when......

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Sell the house and keep the motor home. That's what we did this year.
I know what your saying........ But what you going to do when it's time?

Old 08-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Lee, best wishes to you, and I hope you get a fast sale at the price you need. I know it was a tough decision as I have also been giving it lots of thought. Sure has been fun, but you will still have lots of things to enjoy.

Rex

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:45 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post

Good luck Lee. You can have a lot of fun in a small trailer and it takes the stress out of going somewhere.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Lee, I know that was a tough decision. Sure hope it is the right choice for you. Good luck in your future endeavors! Drop by from time to time and let us hear from you! God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I dug deep in the past to find this..... I just wanted to let you know that the market is tough out there. I asked what I thought was a good price and got no response, unless you count the offers to HELP me sell and the guy in the middle of the Ocean who is willing to pay full price site unseen. Of course he wanted all my personal information first......

I will not give up and may have to wait until after the first of the year and closer to Spring....

Old 11-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
How much are you asking LeeB? deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote