RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #1

Outdoor wall mounted TV cabinet

Wondering if anyone knows where you can buy the cabinet/box that can be cut into the outside wall for housing a TV? Thinking of installing one.

kent342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2014, 11:09 PM   #2

I thought like you are thinking that I would cut an opening in the passenger side of the coach outside wall to install a flat panel like the new coaches have. After considering it a bit, I realized I would have to cut thru the outer skin, the braces and the inner skin of the coach wall. To much unknown for me to go forward. However I did go ahead with a different plan. I purchased a 32 inch flat panel tv. I also purchased a swivel wall mount for the tv. I mounted the bracket that was to go on a house wall on the outside of our motor home. The mount is quite small and unobtrusive. I then fabricated a box in one of the slide outs to hold the tv and the rest of the swing arm of the wall mount. Works good.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:26 AM   #3

Yeh Ross, that's what I'm thinking. Really just trying to get more informed on the box and who makes and sells them. I have seen a lot of them recently on older coaches, so it must be a possible, in any case I'm just looking for more info. Do you happen to know the manufacture of these cabinets? Or who sells them?
Old 10-04-2014, 06:33 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Stretch
Can you please post some pics. Sounds like a great job.
Thanks
Rick
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:35 PM   #5

There are TV mounts that fit into one of the bay's. They either fit vertically and slide out and spin like ours, or mount on the bay ceiling and drop down. I don't think I would be cutting into the sidewall. Hanging one from the side still leaves a storage problem. MorRyde makes a variety of TV mounts.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:57 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Click image for larger version

Name:	NOrms phone 2-23-14 001.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	75751

Name:	NOrms phone 2-23-14 002.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	377.3 KB
ID:	75752

Name:	NOrms phone 2-23-14 003.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	75753

This is an idea which will save room and keep you from cutting into the side of your MH. I made a drawer for a TV outside. Works just fine and folds out of the way for loading.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:31 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have one of the factory installed outside TVs built into the side wall of the living room slide. I hate it, it's practically useless. The door flips up, which you would think offers good shade, but if there is any sun at all, unless it is exactly overhead, the sun washes out the screen. In my case, at least, the awning doesn't help. It is also very high. I've seen others who have a TV mounted in a basement compartment, under a slide where the slide offers excellent shade from the sun. I think it's a more practical solution.

Look at this picture. You can see the outline of the TV box under the Endeavor name plate under the window. It's almost totally in the sun. If the cover is open (It's hinged at the top) the only part of the screen that is shaded would be the upper left corner, above the line that is the shade of the awning arm. At this campsite, with this sun, the TV would be basically unwatchable.

Another point is that the box extends in through the inner wall. We have a sofa in front of that area, and it is mounted about 8 to 10 inches away from the wall (taking up some internal living space.) There is a strip of Corian counter on top of the box behind the sofa. It's pretty much wasted space, only the dogs make use of it as they like to lay on it and look out the window.

If you really want a TV mounted there, I wish you luck. But as one who has one there and doesn't like it, I would suggest you think it overly carefully and consider other options.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:37 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
This is an idea which will save room and keep you from cutting into the side of your MH. I made a drawer for a TV outside. Works just fine and folds out of the way for loading.
I like this idea. Thanks for showing the pics
ukpajf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:55 AM   #9

Thanks for all the replies, I currently have our TV mounted to the front of one of my slide out trays with my basement refrigerator behind it. I have seen the new coaches with the wall mounted units, and I am really just trying to understand how they are mounted and the whole process. I saw recently an older coach that had one installed and It got me thinking. I have not been able the find the box or cabinet for any place to understand what they cost or how they are mounted. Does anyone know who makes them or a web site that has the info?
Old 10-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
After considering all the options, I came to the conclusion that when I wanted to watch TV out side I set up our 32" outside TV on a fold up table and position it where convenient out of the glare of the sun. This has worked well for us.
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:14 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Neighbour drags out his 60" when there is something of value to watch. Heck of a Super Bowl party, lots of college football!
Old 10-05-2014, 04:34 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you tried contacting Monaco for a supplier?
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
This is a picture taken back in 2009 with the TV mounted to the inside of the latch pillar. This set up let us swing the TV to either open door.

Moving ahead to 2014 the TV was remounted to a roller tube so we could use the TV and keep the doors mostly closed, so we don't have to see the stowage area. Both doors can be used without folding the TV back inside so there is no interruptions.

Added roller.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:35 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Drifter, I like this setup too. Can you share where you got the mount and roller bar? How do you lock in place when it goes back into the basement hold? Or do you dismount the tv and store in coach? It looks to have a good deal of side-to-side movement available and I'm assuming it can also tilt up and down. Great ideas in this thread.

ukpajf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door