Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2021, 10:51 PM   #1

Over asked question

Iím assuming my 04 Camelot does not get the chassis batteries charged when on shore power. To be sure is there a way to prove this once and for all. Thx
DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2021, 07:57 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I am under the impression that chassis batts are charged will on shore power. Either via the big boy or solar.

I suppose you could take a reading of your chassis batteries using your volt meter and then take it again several days later.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBunker View Post
I’m assuming my 04 Camelot does not get the chassis batteries charged when on shore power. To be sure is there a way to prove this once and for all. Thx

Of course. Pull out your digital voltmeter.

With shore power on, check voltage at the house battery bank.

Now, check it at the chassis battery bank.

Yes, you will see more difference if the coach has sat for a couple of days (which would lower chassis battery voltage if it is not being charged).

Should be a 5 minute procedure.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:16 AM   #4

In 2004, the common practice was to charge the only the house batteries from shore power. The higher end coaches used a device called the Lambert Battery Maintainer which fed the chassis batteries when connected to shore or generator sources. If you have one, it will be in the rear electrical bay.
The chassis batteries are normally charged from the alternator, and the house batteries are charged at the same time through the IRD and the Big Boy when the chassis battery charging demand starts to fall.

Dick L. 04 HR Imperial
RCLImperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:45 AM   #5
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Brett is spot on for sure.

Turn some headlights on to put a load on the chassis batteries just to be sure you see a difference between the banks.

Now the questions may be, should they be the same on your model?
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:46 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Check the voltage at the battery with the coach disconnected from shore power and check the battery voltage again after you have short power back on. That will tell you if they are charging or not.

Tim
Old 09-27-2021, 12:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaz View Post
Check the voltage at the battery with the coach disconnected from shore power and check the battery voltage again after you have short power back on. That will tell you if they are charging or not.

Tim

Thank you everybody. I will put my Volt meter to work. I donít think chassis bats are on shower chg circuit.
DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:25 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let us know what you find out.

My 2004 Monaco La Palma does not charge the engine battery while on shore power but that will probably vary from model to model.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote