Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2020, 08:42 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Overhead TV ignition lockout

Hey guy's!

Recently lost my front tv, so pulled it out of the box, and waiting for it's replacement to be delivered.
Wife was doing some cleaning, and tells me she twice heard a clicking sound coming from the empty TV cabinet. Well, there's nothing plugged in, in there so I was stumped. Searching around in there, the outlet for the TV, is a special one with the usual romex feed, then a couple of 12v wires, which I assume must feed a relay inside the outlet, for the ignition shut off.
Grabbed the keys, and turned ignition on/ off a couple of times to confirm this was the clicking she was hearing (she thinks so ). It's quite loud when there's no TV blocking it!
There were no keys in the ignition when she first heard the clicking!

Anyone seen one of these outlets go bad? If I unplug the 12v ignition wires, will I have 120v at the outlet, or would that shut the outlet down?

I'm thinking now, this quick power on/ off may have toasted my TV !!

Cheers.... Ben.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2020, 09:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
hey ben,

I bi-passed that relay years ago. When we first had the coach, the kids were young and would watch cartoons while I was driving. Even if I wanted to watch the TV while driving, I'd get a stiff neck doing it, so wasn't even tempted.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:10 PM   #3

Did you just disconnect the 12v feed, Bill?
Old 05-01-2020, 10:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Yes just remove the wire. I did the same because we moved the tv and I wanted the pull for other equipment. With the tv behind me and on a power riser very hard to watch. [emoji12]
Old 05-02-2020, 12:46 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Did you just disconnect the 12v feed, Bill?
Yes, I believe so. But I had a second plug up in the cabinet that was always hot for the stereo. It had an extra outlet, so I took advantage of that.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:53 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Is it a LOK-OUT device?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0404_2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	283846

We recently upgraded our TVs and found one of these in the front TV cabinet that the TV was plugged into. It appears a previous owner had actually put a toggle switch connected to the 12V relay to bypass it. Since we have other outlets in the area that are always live, we just used those for the new TV instead.

I'm going to guess that when the relay sees 12V power, it cuts the power to the 120V plug. The 12V power is seen either when the ignition is on, parking brake removed, or transmission put in gear (I don't recall which it is).

I believe I have a manual for it, if that is any help.
Our 2001 Signature Repairs & Upgrades Thread
JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:08 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Yeah, bypass it for sure. Or better yet plug the tv, DVD, sound bar etc into an inverter fed outlet.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:57 AM   #8

They are all inverter fed.

Yeah, I have the option of running the power cord from the new set to an outlet in either drivers, or passenger side audio / video cabinets, but not sure I like the idea of leaving a 12v relay back there, randomly turning itself on/ off.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:20 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
They are all inverter fed.

Yeah, I have the option of running the power cord from the new set to an outlet in either drivers, or passenger side audio / video cabinets, but not sure I like the idea of leaving a 12v relay back there, randomly turning itself on/ off.
I took the relay out and labeled the 12 volt line for future use.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:29 PM   #10

Probably the first thing I disabled in the coach my family bought new - b/c it was going to be used to transport a group of girl scouts to a tour of Colonial Williamsburg and then Savannah Georgia. They wanted to watch movies on the way - and certainly I had NO interest at all in whatever they were watching!

Same setup in my coach, although that lockout device also had a separate 12V feed b/c it was also a 200 watt inverter at the same time. So removing that one was a little trickier if I had wanted to keep the inverter (I didn't) but labeled the wires anyway for future. Never used them again. Disabling the relay was simple though - just clip the wire.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:44 PM   #11

Thanks guy's!

So, the consensus is if I cut the +12v power wire, the relay has no power, and I still have a 120v outlet.

I'm still curious what is triggering that relay, when the key isn't even in the ignition. I have a trouble light plugged into the outlet now, turned on, but the chances of being in the coach and see'ing it flash, is unlikely!
Old 05-02-2020, 02:44 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks guy's!

So, the consensus is if I cut the +12v power wire, the relay has no power, and I still have a 120v outlet.

I'm still curious what is triggering that relay, when the key isn't even in the ignition. I have a trouble light plugged into the outlet now, turned on, but the chances of being in the coach and see'ing it flash, is unlikely!
Ben

My bet is yes, you should have 120 volts without 12 volts connected, BUT......

You should have 120 power going into that box. The relay connects (or disconnects) the "in" power to the plug.

Now depending on the switch you have, will determine if removing the 12 volt power will allow 120 volts to pass through to the outlet portion. Either 'normally open' or 'normally closed' switches were used.

If you removed the whole device and connect the romex to a residential wall outlet (you should install a wall box to put the plug into), you should be good to go.

This is the relay for my water heaterClick image for larger version

Name:	water heater relay under sink.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	283879 the RL1009 is a normally opened relay. I think the 1003 is the normally closed relay and might be the one you have up front (or equiv)
Old 05-02-2020, 03:27 PM   #13

Yep, it is the RL 1003.

I'll remove the +12v to the relay, if I still have 120v great. If not, I'll just replace the box with a residential.

Your probably right about the mon, wed, fri !
Old 05-02-2020, 04:23 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Yep, it is the RL 1003.

I'll remove the +12v to the relay, if I still have 120v great. If not, I'll just replace the box with a residential.

Your probably right about the mon, wed, fri !
If it was clicking before with the key off, I'd be tempted to take it out. Who knows what was going on. It be bad to toast another TV

Tags
ignition