RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2019, 04:44 AM   #1

Overheat warning???

Something new happened today. I was climbing a pretty good grade pulling my 4runner. I noticed the needle move past 200 but not in the red yet. I started to hear this chirping sound under the dash. As the temp rose more the chirping became more constant and louder. At the top of the grade it had turned more into a squeal. But as soon as i started downhill and the temp cooled off, the sound went away.

What was it?

Smaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2019, 09:14 AM   #2

Is the radiator dirty?.. We had the same thing last summer crossing Montana.. Cooled down as soon as we started down the other side. I flushed from the outside twice at at the next two campgrounds using a mixture of dawn dish soap and water thru a bottle I made up that hooks to the hose.. It helped. When we got home I flushed with Simple green extreme with a mix of 4 to 1 using a one gallon pump up sprayer.. They amount of crud that was on my concrete slab was extreme... I never had a problem before but we had just been on the Alaska Hwy and parts of it were mud on asphalt and amazing amounts of dust...

HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:25 PM   #3

Did you have a check engine or hot read out on your dash, I think your chirping was temp alarm, sounds like you may have been over 220 degrees.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:22 PM   #4

No check engine light but the ABS light did cone on for a min or 2 then turn back off. Only did that when it was getting warm.

Se we do have an alarm for overheat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Did you have a check engine or hot read out on your dash, I think your chirping was temp alarm, sounds like you may have been over 220 degrees.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:13 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaay View Post
No check engine light but the ABS light did cone on for a min or 2 then turn back off. Only did that when it was getting warm.

Se we do have an alarm for overheat?
yes
Timaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:29 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Something new happened today. I was climbing a pretty good grade pulling my 4runner. I noticed the needle move past 200 but not in the red yet. I started to hear this chirping sound under the dash. As the temp rose more the chirping became more constant and louder. At the top of the grade it had turned more into a squeal. But as soon as i started downhill and the temp cooled off, the sound went away.

What was it?
On a rear radiator coach such as yours the radiator should be cleaned at least once a year. If your radiator has never been cleaned it may be obstructed with leaves and dirt. If any oil or diesel gets on the radiator it exacerbates the situation. A rear radiator coach pulls air from beneath the engine and blows it out thru the radiator to the rear of the coach. This means that when driving on dusty campground roads or dirt roads all that crap goes thru your radiator.

It goes without saying that you should also check the level of the coolant and make sure it is not low. If the coolant is more than five years old it should be changed.

The ABS light may have come on if the engine control system reduced the fuel to the engine in an attempt to control the overheating condition.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:39 PM   #7

Thanks Bob for the response. I did hose the radiator before the trip. I have no idea the age of the coolant. Im gonna change the oil when I get home, guess i can change the coolant as well.

I assume Delo400 is a good oil, whats the recommended coolant?
Old 09-27-2019, 06:42 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Bob for the response. I did hose the radiator before the trip. I have no idea the age of the coolant. Im gonna change the oil when I get home, guess i can change the coolant as well.

I assume Delo400 is a good oil, whats the recommended coolant?
To properly clean the radiator you must wash the side of the radiator that faces the engine. Just hosing it from the outside rear may not remove all the built up deposits. It is difficult to access the backside of the radiator. There are usually two engine hatches in the bedroom that can be removed. One is obvious and the other is not. On our coach the second hatch is behind the main hatch and part of the closet floor. The closet doors must be removed and the lower door track. Once that second hatch is removed you should be able to take a flashlight and inspect the backside of the radiator and the charge air cooler. I expect you have a stacked radiator configuration with the charge air cooler (CAC) on the top and the radiator on the bottom. The CAC has a larger grate than the engine coolant radiator. Look in the bottom of the fan shroud for debris and dirt accumulation on the radiator. Clean that area as best you can. You may need to get a long grabber tool and fish out foreign matter such as leaves. On ours part of the rubber sheathing had come loose and fallen down partially obstructing air flow.

Purchase a long hose wand that has a nozzle that can be swiveled and use that to force water against the radiator by sticking it thru the fan blades. If you don't mind getting wet you can also do this from under the coach. You may have to remove the rock guard for access from below. Be sure and put the rock guard back on when you finish. You don't want a rock to fly up and make a hole in the radiator. First fill a one gallon garden sprayer with aluminium safe Simple Green. This is not the same as the standard Simple Green and we found it at Home Depot. Spray the rear of the radiator with the Simple Green and let it set for at least 15 min. Then hose everything off and crank the engine and let the fan blow out the solution. Once you have only air exiting the rear take a piece of paper and move it around the outside of the radiator to check for air flow over the entire radiator.

You don't state what year your coach is so it is hard to know what type of coolant it came with. Our coach is a 2006 and came with the green type coolant. Some like to replace this with the new OAT type coolant.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 05:44 AM   #9

I have a 2005 Knight. Thanks again for all the information Bob. I appreciate it

Tags
heat