Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2021, 10:41 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Overheating Hydraulic Pump

While trying to troubleshoot a recalcitrant slide, I touched the hydraulic pump. It was hot, not so hot as to burn me, but still much hotter than I would expect. Ironically the label on the pump reads “Pump Intermittent Duty”. My working supposition at this point is that the pump is continuously drawing current, rather than intermittently.

At this point both the slide and the generator are stuck in the out position.

Any ideas? My wife is talking fire sale, or maybe just a fire.
Vulture47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2021, 11:21 PM   #2

Disconnect the power to it until you sort it out. Should be a fuse, maybe just a stuck relay. I can't see what coach you have on my phone.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:15 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
Disconnect the power to it until you sort it out. Should be a fuse, maybe just a stuck relay. I can't see what coach you have on my phone.

The coach is a 2000 Monaco Dynasty.
I discovered the problem in the dark working by work light and flashlight.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:55 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The hydraulic pump shouldn’t have to be running long enough to get very hot. I agree with shootist sounds like a stuck relay. The relay should be in your front run bay outside the driver seat. These are standard automotive relays and I would suggest always having a spare or two with you. You can try just tapping it with a screwdriver to see if it shuts it off.

Tim
Old 09-26-2021, 07:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaz View Post
The hydraulic pump shouldn’t have to be running long enough to get very hot. I agree with shootist sounds like a stuck relay. The relay should be in your front run bay outside the driver seat. These are standard automotive relays and I would suggest always having a spare or two with you. You can try just tapping it with a screwdriver to see if it shuts it off.

Tim

With this slide and generator out and the likelihood of the HOA breathing down our necks we tried a few things today. We reversed the hydraulic pressure with the T handles on the hydraulic solenoids. We were able to manually retract the generator but not the wall slide.

We then tried reversing two electrical solenoids with no luck.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:59 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds like you were just running the pump too long while troubleshooting. Typically the pump runs 30 to 60 seconds, then the slides are in or out.

If the pump solenoid was stuck the pump would be continuously running and you would hear it running (it did not sound like that was the case, per your description). So when you press the Slide In/Out button you should hear the pump run, and when you release the button the pump stops - is that what's happening now?

Also, the T-handles are only used to relieve pressure for manually retracting the slides. They don't "reverse" anything. When you turn the handles Out the pump pressure bypasses back to the tank rather than sending pressure to the room hydraulic cylinder(s).
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:13 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
It sounds like you were just running the pump too long while troubleshooting. Typically the pump runs 30 to 60 seconds, then the slides are in or out.

If the pump solenoid was stuck the pump would be continuously running and you would hear it running (it did not sound like that was the case, per your description). So when you press the Slide In/Out button you should hear the pump run, and when you release the button the pump stops - is that what's happening now?

Also, the T-handles are only used to relieve pressure for manually retracting the slides. They don't "reverse" anything. When you turn the handles Out the pump pressure bypasses back to the tank rather than sending pressure to the room hydraulic cylinder(s).

Clarification - I typed reversed when I intended to type released with regard to the pressure.

We swapped two relays but no luck.
Old 09-27-2021, 07:17 PM   #8

On my 03 Windsor, the pump for my gen slide is under the front near the entry steps. It has relays mounted there and it has some large wires going there as well. Yours may be different but if you haven't looked there that may be where your sticking relay is.
I think I have 2 relays there. They look like starter relays to me.
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:02 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Feel each of the solenoids on the pump. One may be energized when it shouldn't be.
Old 09-29-2021, 11:02 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Feel each of the solenoids on the pump. One may be energized when it shouldn't be.

I think that we have found that problem. For you old Infantry types it was a headspace and timing issue.
While trying to diagnose a problem with the slide, we swapped two relays. Unfortunately we swapped an 87a in place of a 87. A 87a is a normal on, a 87 is a normal off.

Tags
heat, heating, hydraulic, overheating, pump