Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2020, 08:37 AM   #1

Overvoltage coming from the inverter

Hi All;

2005 Cayman, purchased within the last month. I'm just getting used to it, and getting it road-worthy.

My current issue is that when I turn on the inverter on the control panel a volt-meter plugged into a socket reports 120+ volts. The GFCI outlet in the bathroom trips and I lose everything downstream of that.

All the batteries were replaced about a week ago, and I don't know if I was on inverter power since then or not.

Where do I start looking ?

TIA,

Davd
IWander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2020, 09:28 AM   #2

120v does not sound that out of range to me. The GFCI should not trip just based on the voltage...it is sensing a loss of power to ground. In other words, if the white wire is not returning what the black wire is sending, then there is a loss to ground somewhere...and that is what the GFCI trips for. Not voltage, unless the unit is also a surge protector.

Does the GFCI trip under shore or generator power?
Cj D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj D View Post
120v does not sound that out of range to me. The GFCI should not trip just based on the voltage...it is sensing a loss of power to ground. In other words, if the white wire is not returning what the black wire is sending, then there is a loss to ground somewhere...and that is what the GFCI trips for. Not voltage, unless the unit is also a surge protector.

Does the GFCI trip under shore or generator power?

<sigh>

120V is a typo, the plug in voltmeter reads 130+, it's kind of pinned to the end, not 120V.

The outlet is new and works fine with the genset running or on shore power. The only issue is with the inverter.
IWander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:41 AM   #4

Did the inverter work correctly before replacing batteries ?

Did you replace 6 volt batteries with 12 volt batteries ?

Can you read the DC voltage at the inverter cables ?

Maybe post a picture of your battery cables.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:40 AM   #5
YC1

Use another voltmeter. Could be modified sine waves peaking out without load

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:49 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have to agree with YC1. I have a cheap analog plug-in voltmeter I got from CW and it reads really high when my batteries are fully charged and the inverter is on. 130+. Measuring it with a good Fluke multi meter the voltage is right around 120V. Also, when I plug the same analog meter into a Pure Sine Wave inverter, it reads correctly.

If the GCFI outlet is constantly tripping, then either there is something with some kind of ground fault plugged in to one of the outlets that GCFI plug supplies or the outlet is bad. Check all the inverter powered outlets - don't forget the TV and refer ice maker outlets. Remove anything plugged in and see what happens. If it still trips, replace the GCFI. They do go bad.

Tags
inverter