Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2021, 05:03 AM   #1

Paint concerns

Iím looking at a 07 Monaco Camelot, and the paint on the driverís side has me concerned, the owner doesnít seem to think itís a big deal but I know better.

So Iím trying to put a value on the coach and repairs needed, I realize a Independant inspection is a must and will be done after I classify if we even consider the purchase, I have a couple of pictures, hopefully I can get them posted here.

Any advice is welcome and appreciated, thank you for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BA0BBADD-80E9-4FD7-AA99-F5534793974C.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	337633   Click image for larger version

Name:	E525C0B8-4541-4873-80EC-0E9F7BA58D17.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	337634  

jdw1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2021, 05:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw1 View Post
Iím looking at a 07 Monaco Camelot, and the paint on the driverís side has me concerned, the owner doesnít seem to think itís a big deal but I know better.

So Iím trying to put a value on the coach and repairs needed, I realize a Independant inspection is a must and will be done after I classify if we even consider the purchase, I have a couple of pictures, hopefully I can get them posted here.

Any advice is welcome and appreciated, thank you for your help!
I think you need to ask yourself can you handle imperfections in a 15 year old model coach vs the price point of it. Have you researched the build quality of Camelot rigs and I believe Monaco is out of business correct meaning parts may not exist?
Old 07-29-2021, 05:42 AM   #3

Pretty typical on Monaco Coaches, my 97 Dynasty has peeling clear coat and cracks in the paint, mostly seen in darker paint. Had most of the clear coat fixed on rear of coach and one side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Paint Shop Eng Door.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	337639  
Old 07-29-2021, 05:49 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Pretty common on older rigs with dark paint, that have sat in the sun. It certainly isnít a problem effecting the operation of the coach. Itís a cosmetic issue. I believe itís referred to as the gel coat crazing. Repainting the coach is likely the only permanent solution, but there might be sealants and waxes that might minimize the appearance.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:41 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pduggs View Post
Pretty common on older rigs with dark paint, that have sat in the sun. It certainly isn’t a problem effecting the operation of the coach. It’s a cosmetic issue. I believe it’s referred to as the gel coat crazing. Repainting the coach is likely the only permanent solution, but there might be sealants and waxes that might minimize the appearance.

This is a common problem, I have the same thing on the darker color on my coach. Pretty much cosmetic but it is not fixable by just painting (at least from what I read). Maybe others with chime in.

If this is the only problem with coach, and the price is right, and you can live with this type of problem buy the coach. That or pony up +$200K more for a new coach of similar quality.

FWIW. Yes Monaco is not in business anymore but almost all the parts are still available. I have yet not been able to fix things on my 2002 model but at some point I'm sure there will be something and I'll have to improvise a fix.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:32 AM   #6

You're pretty much out of luck I'm many things just after a few years on a motorhome. Like fiberglass, basement doors , wall paper, tile , wall panel and such. You may be better off replacing a lot of items on a an older coach then have to deal with smart control boards that may no longer be produced.
It certainly hurts price over one that may have been a garage queen but total lack of use hurts as well. I have seen posts where owners have painted with Rust-Oleum rattle cans over vinyl stripes that was way worse than what you see. From ten feet looks fine as whole coach look so much better from 20 feet and out.
Quality repainting will cost .
Cosmetic pretty through out mid level DP will cost as well.
I had some clear looking similar on entry door it all scraped off with plastic razor blade leaving nice paint.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:35 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
This is a common problem, I have the same thing on the darker color on my coach. Pretty much cosmetic but it is not fixable by just painting (at least from what I read). Maybe others with chime in.

If this is the only problem with coach, and the price is right, and you can live with this type of problem buy the coach. That or pony up +$200K more for a new coach of similar quality.

FWIW. Yes Monaco is not in business anymore but almost all the parts are still available. I have yet not been able to fix things on my 2002 model but at some point I'm sure there will be something and I'll have to improvise a fix.
Good point about parts for Monacoís. I too have had no trouble finding parts.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:59 AM   #8

Food for thought.

I would factor in -$ 20-25k That will be the cost of paint in the mid-west to paint.

That said as stated by others there may more than just paint involved.

Your pictures seem to me show more than one issue.

One of your pic's shows clear coat issues...... another shows what appears to be fiberglass glass issues.( as stated it is not uncommon on dark colors)

Some here may have the answer on the fiberglass issue fix and it will be more than just paint.

Corvettes had this issue in the 60's as recall and remember some getting painted to fix the issue only to have the issue coming back later down the road.

A vinyl wrap may be a option depending on the environmental conditions the coach lives in ie: sun salt and the likes of to factor in.

Im thinking someone here at iRV2 said the coast of a wrap was @ $ 5k ..that said we just took a race transporter down to Fort Wayne to get painted and was $ 23k

Happy Trails
Old 07-30-2021, 09:20 AM   #9

Wow, Lots of misinformation. This is crazing of the fiberglass. Painting does not help. Repair cost is prohibitive. The side walls have to be replaced. Common problem on many units from that Era.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:34 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Wow, Lots of misinformation. This is crazing of the fiberglass. Painting does not help. Repair cost is prohibitive. The side walls have to be replaced. Common problem on many units from that Era.
Moisheh is correct. Newmar had a program back in the 2000's to replace the fiberglass sides of affected coaches. That was the old permanent solution.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:21 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Agree with moisheh. I've been conversing back and forth with Jeff (jdw1) via PM's about this and explaining the actual issues and that they weren't isolated to one particular brand of caoch as it was a fiberglass laminate supplier issue and not the coach manufacturer specifically.

Sidewall replacement on a 15+ year old coach is not exactly practical nor cost effective but the crazing can be reduced/minimized by some proper sanding and painting processes but it will eventually come back to some degree.

What a person has to ask themselves is IF the coach in question has been properly maintained and taken care of to warrant the cosmetic blemishes that will potentially come up. The crazing has no overall affect on the chassis construction, maintenance and repairs so as long as everything foundation wise is up to par the sidewall fiberglass crazing is just cosmetic and not an indication of a poor structurally sound coach or even a poorly maintained coach.

The topic of coach maintenance and care is a whole different conversation. To some proper preventive maintenance is a wash job and changing the engine oil at the manufacturer's recommended interval. Then to others of us that definition does not even comprise of the bare minimum when it comes to preventive maintenance nor care.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:37 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Paint concerns

The first photo is the problem. The second one is simple clear coat failure, much easier to fix , unless the fiberglass cracking caused the clear failure. I canít see from the photo.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
If this hasn't already happened to my Camelot does that mean it won't?
Old 07-30-2021, 01:50 PM   #14

@Zmotorsports, do you know if that clear coat on that section up high can be wet/dry sanded and re-clear coated?
jdw1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint