Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My previous coach, 2002 Winne Journey, had lot's of fiberglass checking, even on the unpainted while gelcoat areas. I got estimates from three shops, including Precision in Bremen, IN and none of them would guarentee the checking would not reappear in a few years.

I used a shop in NC that sanded the coach well, used high fill primer and four coats of clear over the new base colors. I kept a lot of white in the color scheme to minimize dark colors and heat.

The paint job looked absolutely marvelous but the checking started to reappear in 3 years. It was not as noticeable but I could see it. I traded the coach recently and the paint job still looked really nice and the dealer sold it to the first folks that looked at it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
I was hoping there would be a manageable solution such as buffing and a layer of clear coat, but it sounds like I have to put up with it until I can pony up for a repaint.

I've spoken to many paint shops about the "checking" issue. For every one that says they can fix it there are a handful that will tell you they will fix it but cannot guarantee it won't come back.

Info I've picked up from various sources, incl. other forums, is basically this:

EPA regulations around early 2000's required fiberglass manufacturers to reduce the VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) during the manufacturing process. In order to conform to the regs, some manufacturers changed their process in a way that left more of these compounds in the fiberglass sheets they produced (I won't get into the details I've heard as to how/what was changed). Over time, as the sidewalls heat up, these "bubbles" leach out of the fiberglass, through the paint, producing the checking. Thus the problem is in the underlying fiberglass not the paint.

In many instances you will see fiberglass that's more checked on the darker colors (since more IR heat is absorbed there). I've also seen coaches with one sidewall really badly checked, the other not so much, evidently a result of one side parked predominantly sunward.

Fiberglass shops have told me they can grind out the checks, re-fill the areas, and repaint; while some may guarantee that area will not re-check they cannot guarantee that a check may develop elsewhere, perhaps only a fraction of an inch away. So one is left with the alternative of doing the whole deal or just leaving it and living with it.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
The correct term for this problem is called "Thermal Checking". I have attached a photo of what it looks like on my front entry door which is an area that is totally black. It happens mostly in the dark colors first but can be seen in others too. Sorry about the reflection. I will try another photo when it get closer to dusk outside to see if it reduces the amount of reflection hopefully getting a clearer photo.

The fiberglass supplier was at fault due to very poor manufacturing process at the time. Very expensive to replace the entire outside walls of the coach.

Yes, The Paint Shop in Chino supposedly has a method to fix this with just painting but for those that have had The Paint Shop actually attempt to do it have not reported back what the results have been.

I now use a special wax called Black Velvet to wax those areas versus using the typical wax I would normally use. What it does is that it fills up the crack with black wax instead of white or cream colored wax which then hides the crack until the wax wears off.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0790.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	44197  
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
OK, I'm gonna show my ignorance! What the heck is paint "crazing" ?
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
The correct term for this problem is called "Thermal Checking". I have attached a photo of what it looks like on my front entry door which is an area that is totally black. It happens mostly in the dark colors first but can be seen in others too. Sorry about the reflection. I will try another photo when it get closer to dusk outside to see if it reduces the amount of reflection hopefully getting a clearer photo.

The fiberglass supplier was at fault due to very poor manufacturing process at the time. Very expensive to replace the entire outside walls of the coach.

Yes, The Paint Shop in Chino supposedly has a method to fix this with just painting but for those that have had The Paint Shop actually attempt to do it have not reported back what the results have been.

I now use a special wax called Black Velvet to wax those areas versus using the typical wax I would normally use. What it does is that it fills up the crack with black wax instead of white or cream colored wax which then hides the crack until the wax wears off.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I didn't know about the Black Velvet polish... I'll have to look for it. I did find another co with a gray/black polish I've used... (duplicolor?) it makes what would otherwise be an off-white into a dark gray... better on m dark brown anyway.

As to who was at fault... the buck stopped at Monaco Coach Corp. but not for long. After all they got the $$$,$$$ for the coach and the ones who chose that supplier (Dow?.. 3M..? I'm not sure). Monaco did take responsibility for a few, maybe those who had the problem show up within the warranty period. However a great many of us received the "out-of-warranty" speech. Were you one of the lucky ones?
Old 08-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Richard -- I use Black Velvet Wax & Polish on our Black 07 Camelot -- It does a good job of hiding the checks -- I also use 303 Protectant after the polish, & before the wax -- I live in sunny AZ, so I get plenty heat - Black Velvet is our drink of choice, booze, not the polish -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There is a process now for fixing the crazing, but as I said before, it would probably be too pricey to be worth doing. There is a coach repair shop in Santa Clarita, Ca., called Final Touch. He can repaint your coach and guarantee it for life. He sands down to gelcoat and uses a new primer.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Bill and Richard... I found Black Velvet on internet... I'll get some & try on my dark brown. (by the way the black polish I've been using is made by Turtle wax... the only thing I found at auto store).

Tags
paint