RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2020, 12:25 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwyatt View Post
Don’t believe it has, I keep a good eye on all the seams. I have had it in my care sense 2017 and my BIL bought it new. Been under cover most of its life and I think that helps a Lot.
Looking more closely at your pictures posted above, it looks to me to be exactly what I stated above. The pictures are upside down right?

I suspect the paint along the edge or top of the flange where it meets the side wall, flaked off. This allowed water to enter that seam and ultimately bubble the paint and corrode the aluminum flange.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2020, 12:47 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Following this very closely, I have the exact same issues. As best as I can figure, the original underlying aluminum surface wasn't initially prepared correctly (or poor seam sealing at factory, maybe?) and allowed the corrosion to intrude and then expand.

I don't know much about my coach's past history, bought it 2 years ago looking like yours - with the eventual plan to fix the spots. My idea was/is to attack them similar to what TRH299 and arcaguy mentioned.
Old 10-03-2020, 06:33 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I have the same thing on my Coach with the trim piece that runs under the slide room and at the bottom of the frame (the mitered joint) for entry door.

When I repainted the nose and door, I sanded that trim/frame to clean metal and used a self-etching primer on it. Then I sprayed the epoxy primer and my base coat / clear coat.

It's been about two years now and seems to be holding up well.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:16 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I did the same thing CountryB did when I had repair 3 bay doors and replace the 2 pieces of the aluminum extrusions that make the hinge for the doors. I was able to buy new pieces of the trim that rivets the door but had to buy a used piece from Visione RV that fastened to the side of the coach. I used a paint stripper to take the paint off this piece and then used a self etching primer before painting and mounting. I used self etching primer anywhere I had to sand the paint down to the bare aluminum. I did this repair ~6 years ago and none of the paint has started to peel.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:50 AM   #19

IMO that looks like Galvanic reaction from dissimilar metals.

" Galvanic corrosion, also known as bimetallic corrosion, is an electrochemical process whereby one metal corrodes in preference to another metal that it is in contact with through an electrolyte. Galvanic corrosion occurs when two dissimilar metals are immersed in a conductive solution and are electrically connected."

This has been an issue in the likes of automotive in the past such as back in the late 70's when the aluminum bumpers were fall off of GM cars while driving down the road….. if you old enough to remember that deal.
More recently Gen 1V Ford Explorer tailgates come to mind ( as seen here )

Click image for larger version

Name:	1f8787a6-4a2f-11e8-92fe-08c2b5433029r.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	303152

those are only two examples that I can remember right off the top pf my head.

Maybe Im wrong but that is certainly what that looks like and if so?.... I highly doubt it can be stopped …slowed down maybe… but my guess is that issue goes way deeper into the coach than what is exposed in those pictures.
I hope Im wrong for the OP sake and others with that issue …… but I’ll take “ Galvanic reaction for $ 20.00 Alex.

IIRC from 7th grade science class that this reaction can be generated from something as simple as using aluminum rivets in mild steel or the likes of ..or visa versa.

Happy Trails
Old 10-03-2020, 09:51 AM   #20

Yep the pictures are upside down. Fiberglass is ok. It’s as you said the paint flaked off the edge allowing water to get under the the paint. Also think the prep wasn’t very good in that area
kenwyatt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:23 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwyatt View Post
Yep the pictures are upside down. Fiberglass is ok. Itís as you said the paint flaked off the edge allowing water to get under the the paint. Also think the prep wasnít very good in that area
Iíve found several spots on my coach where the paint flaked off on the edge where the flange meets the slide. Also the sealant in this area has aged out. Iíve touched it with paint and sealant, but I donít like the look of it. Iím not good with touch up paint and sealant.

Iím taking the coach to Paulís RV in Wakarusa IN next week and will have them repair whatís needed.

My guess is this is a problem common to Monaco coaches. My coach was parked indoors for itís first ten years by the original owner, yet this problem still occurred.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:14 PM   #22

Will get the painting and touch up where needed and see how it goes I guess
kenwyatt is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint