Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2020, 03:04 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Parked & need propane. Don't want to move MH. Truck delivery expensive. Options?

What is my best option here. The company that fills my 500 gallon propane tank at home won't fill my RV anymore. Not sure why? I don't plan to driving it until spring but need propane. I have a 38 gallon onboard tank so not feasible to detach and take to get filled.

Are there adapters where I can refill the tank myself from a small bbq sized tank? Or, is there a good adapter than allows me just connect the small tank to the RV fill valve and then I can just run off of the small tank?

I've checked Amazon and see lots of options but prefer not to purchase anything until I run it by some of you friendly folk [emoji6]
broadrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2020, 03:18 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
In Arkansas it is illegal for them to fill the rv tank from a propane truck.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:21 PM   #3

You can't fill from the BBQ tank easly, but can use an adaptor to connect the BBQ tank to the system and shut off the big tank.
Look for " Extend a Stay " or something like that. Comes with a T or X fitting and hoses.

YouTube it for installation.

Propane is a liquid, under pressure, so you need to pump or pour it into your big tank under that pressure.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:49 PM   #4

Your best option is to drive the rig to a propane company store or go to a place like Tractor Supply, Ace Hardware or something. I refill mine at our local Ace Hardware store. Also, many, many RV parks will refill them. It is NOT good for a MH not to be driven; they need exercize! I really don't see any options for you to fill a 32 gallon tank.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:50 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You can't fill from the BBQ tank easly, but can use an adaptor to connect the BBQ tank to the system and shut off the big tank.
Look for " Extend a Stay " or something like that. Comes with a T or X fitting and hoses.

YouTube it for installation.

Propane is a liquid, under pressure, so you need to pump or pour it into your big tank under that pressure.
That sounds a little dangerous for a shade tree mechanic like myself.

Maybe I'll just get an adapter to run the RV directly from the BBQ tank and completely bypass the RV tank?
Old 08-19-2020, 06:22 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun View Post
That sounds a little dangerous for a shade tree mechanic like myself.

Maybe I'll just get an adapter to run the RV directly from the BBQ tank and completely bypass the RV tank?
That's what Twinboat is suggesting. The extend-A-Stay is simple and easy to install/ use.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:29 PM   #7

Get a 100 lbs cylinder and the ExtendAStay and simply disconnect it from the RV when you call the propane truck to fill it.

Better yet, see if you can rent a 100# cylinder from the propane company. No muss, no fuss when it comes time to leave.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:03 PM   #8

broadrun-

This Web site shows how to install a tee that allows attaching an external propane tank to a coach's propane gas system:

Installing a Camco 59123 4 port brass tee (Extend-A-Stay)

Also, here is a link to a Sturgi-Stay kit. Except for the plastic cap on the tee's grill connector, it's similar to the Camco kit.

I installed a Camco kit on our coach and it works well.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:24 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the help everyone.

I watched the video and yeah, looks simple enough to install. My old propane guy used to fill my RV tank for me but like was said about Arkansas laws, I think Virginia must have adopted the same law. No filling RV tanks at a customer's home. Funny thing is, when you drive up to Tractor Supply, they don't inspect your tank... they just fill it.

The Extend a Stay kit is not too expensive. Assume my regulator relay would still work the same way with the external tank as it does with the onboard tank.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:16 PM   #10

Your mounted tank only need a looking over for heavy rust, there is no other inspection required.

The portable BBQ cylinders need inspections after 12 years and every 5 years after that.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:14 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Extend-a-Stay adapter is inserted between the onboard tank outlet (where the pressure is high) and regulator (where the pressure is maintained at 11 to 14 inches of water column). Your RV appliances are designed to operate on 11" of water column which is a low pressure - only enough pressure to push a column of water up 11" but that's all they need to work properly.

Using the smaller tank, you may want to have a spare handy so you can finish cooking supper when the primary tank runs dry.
DFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:33 PM   #12

Fill the tank on your RV, add the extend-a-stay & use a 20 lb or larger tank. Do not the propane in the attached tank that way you are also full & ready to go. I have a fold up carrier on the back with 2 20lb propane tanks.
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:37 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
The dude in the video I watched didn't used yellow PTFE tape on the threads when he installed the Extend a Stay. Always thought that was a good idea.

Will the test light in the RV read the available LP in the 20lb tank correctly the same way it does with the stock 38 gallon tank?
Old 08-20-2020, 10:58 AM   #14

Tape depends on what type of seal NPT threads should be taped , flared fittings just seal at the faces.
Tank gauge from MH has liquid level gauge and won't read remote tanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun View Post
The dude in the video I watched didn't used yellow PTFE tape on the threads when he installed the Extend a Stay. Always thought that was a good idea.

Will the test light in the RV read the available LP in the 20lb tank correctly the same way it does with the stock 38 gallon tank?
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane